Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-19-2012, 08:04 AM   #1
taka1
taka1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Setup problems - new Kobo Touch

Hi!

I bought a brand new Kobo on the 12th July and tried to follow the instructions to set it up... Not happening! It stalled on step 3 for hours (even overnight for one attempt). The next morning tried setup again but it came up with "your eReader is full" message when trying to complete the setup several times (despite it having no books on it or in my library!)

Trying a different computer later finally allowed me to register my KT (and update to firmware 1.9.17 and load a book. Sadly that book (and all other free ones from the kobo store I tried just to see if they'd work) all had an "oops... I cannot open " error. epubs loaded from calibre work fine! At that point I found this website and discovered that others were having problems with the desktop/firmware updates too.

I emailed kobo help and got a message back very similar to post 15 in this thread only to do the factory reset via the settings menu https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=184642.

I finally got round to trying that last night and now it will not update the firmware at all so doesn't complete the setup. I get the "your eReader is full" message everytime during step 3 (downloading and updating eReader) - I've tried following the steps (on both computers) numerous times and no go.

My firmware won't update from 1.9.14 which was on the KT already and I can still load books via Calibre which so far seem to read and work ok. I know I don't have to buy books via the Kobo bookstore but at least having the choice would be nice! Having the latest firmware with bookshelves would be good too!

The computers are running Windows XP (Pro SP3 on the desktop, not sure of version for the other as I don't have it here)

Any advice? I'm lost!
Thanks in advance!

I'm starting to think I should just return it and get a kindle after all... I just liked the kobo touch much more!
taka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:05 PM   #2
tawny49
tawny49 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Similar/same problem

I had the same/similar problem with a new KT last week. It would not get past stage 3 (with a disc full error) of the setup on Windows XP. strangely it would not even get that far with a windows 7 machine.

I needed to factory reset after each setup attempt. The Kobo showed as a KOBO drive in my computer before setup but lost connection and simply became Drive x after a setup attempt!

Unfortunately in my case I needed to return the KT and get a replacement.

The new one has worked well since I have had it.
tawny49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert