Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-05-2012, 03:46 PM   #1
compukortschnoi
compukortschnoi began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
Kobo wants to setup, again and again

Hello there,

sometimes when I turn on my kobo touch, it asks me to choose my language und then to setup again. A factory reset didn't improve the situation, the messages still occur from time to time when powering on.

The firmware is the latest.

Anyone out there with the same problem?

Best regards,
compukortschnoi
compukortschnoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:11 PM   #2
psy65
Enthusiast
psy65 doesn't litterpsy65 doesn't litter

yes i have the same problem. It happened for the first time yesterday. And all my settings were deleted.
psy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2012, 04:33 PM   #3
Latch
Porcupine Tree fan
Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
It happened once to my wife's unit. I just ignored it and it hasn't popped up since.
Latch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:09 PM   #4
Pitbull Poet
Pitbull Poet began at the beginning.

Device: original Kobo
Yes, this exact problem happens to me sporadically. I am running the most current firmware, don't have an SD card, nor any sideloaded books for the time being as I try to sort this problem out. A factory reset hasn't helped but simply canceling out of the setup screen gets me to my home screen. I don't lose my bookmarks, but I do lose other settings.
Pitbull Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:49 PM   #5
trishkit
trishkit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trishkit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trishkit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trishkit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trishkit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trishkit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trishkit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trishkit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trishkit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trishkit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trishkit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Kobo original, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
I had to replace my Touch in late November 2011 after I dropped mine. The new unit has wanted to setup itself again twice. My coworker receiver a Touch for Christmas and has had the same thing happen. We both have the most current firmware, etc.
trishkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2012, 05:02 AM   #6
compukortschnoi

Thank you so much for your replies. At least, I'm not alone.

Did anybody of you contact the kobo support? If yes, what did they say?

Is that something that could be fixed with a new firmware?
Old 01-06-2012, 09:12 AM   #7
Latch
Porcupine Tree fan
Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Didn't bother with support as it only happened the one time. I am the house nerd so our units are always up to date.
Latch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:30 AM   #8
zaffr
zaffr began at the beginning.

same problem for me...
it happen with last firmware and with the old too.
zaffr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:38 AM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I think the last time I saw this happen to my wife's touch, I did a factory reset, deinstalled Kobo Desktop and reinstalled, and all was fine.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:34 AM   #10
compukortschnoi

I'm still trying to understand under which circumstances this happens. It doesn't seem to be a Macintosh-only problem, for I don't think you're all Mac users.

Kobo support hasn't replied yet. Did somebody of you contact Kobo?
Old 01-07-2012, 02:48 PM   #11
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!
Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Touch
I'm having that bug issue as well. Every so often, it will go from first power up to SET LANGUAGE. After that it wants to run the setup. I exit out, do not lose my books, but have to reset all my fonts, etc. What a P.I.T.A.!

Kobo...fix the bugs in .16...and get 'er done!

Also, v.16 when having previews on your Touch, if you purchase and sync...the new file is corrupted and will not open. You have to remove your new purchase, go to your account, BOOKMARK the purchase and then sync the second time to the Touch.

v.16 seems not ready for prime time as I had thought at first. Good page turning and clarity enhancements, but...that comes with you wanting to scratch at all the new bug bites....
Reader Paradice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:48 PM   #12
shapelytree
shapelytree began at the beginning.

I found that when I tried to charge via a usb adapter to a standard wall outlet that this occurred on my Kobo touch (with latest update). We any of you doing the same? I stopped charging this way and haven't had any problems since.
shapelytree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:20 AM   #13
KTREADER
Updating
KTREADER began at the beginning.

Device: KT
Cool SETUP PROMPTS

I'm also having this setup problem re-appearing and it's annoying.I'm spending more time trying to navigate the reader than i am reading.
The funny part of the setup procedure is there is no screen prompts that allow completion.Sure looks like a bug to me.
software version is 1.9.1.6 as of December/23/11.
The Lexar micro card confuses the reader and cause graphic failure,so i removed it but this continuing setup confusion still persists.

Glad I'm not alone on this.
Btw what is the best method of contacting Kobo support?
KTREADER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:23 PM   #14
Arefkay
Arefkay began at the beginning.

Also running 1.9.16 and I have seen this problem on and off for a while. Other than sometimes prompting for the language and threatening to not work until I sync with the PC it has not been a real problem for me. Merely a minor annoyance at best.

I think I have had the problem for a while, before 1.9.16. But then I haven't really kept track of the versions getting installed.
Arefkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:58 PM   #15
subtle_minx
subtle_minx began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arefkay View Post
Also running 1.9.16 and I have seen this problem on and off for a while. Other than sometimes prompting for the language and threatening to not work until I sync with the PC it has not been a real problem for me. Merely a minor annoyance at best.
This is also my view *though won't compalin if fixed in next update. It happens occasionally, prob about 6 times since i got my KT for crimble. I'm suffering from 'kobo love' to let it bother me too much along with some other small issues, which i've decided to take as signs of character. You know when something isn't perfect but you get used to it and it outlives your expectations *fingers crossed*

P.s Are there any uk kobo forums etc? and does anyone know if there is a uk equiv for the book club promo?

Cheers

Rina
subtle_minx is offline   Reply With Quote