Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-26-2012, 02:03 AM   #5791
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I know the answer to this and I even know the full name of your state, but that's 'cos I'm local. I'll keep schtum.
Me too. But as Yiddish isn't a local language here, I'll just keep quiet.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:02 AM   #5792
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Around Oz, we have a number of places named by the Dutch explorers - for example Groote Eylandt up north, and Rottnest Island (from Rats' Nest) near Perth. (The Dutch thought the quokkas, little marsupials, were giant rats.)

So is Rhode Island originally a Dutch name for an island off the coast, which was subsequently extended to mainland territory? I know the Dutch were over your way too, because of New York originally being New Amsterdam, but that's about the sum of my knowledge.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2012, 11:44 AM   #5793
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
I thunk it was as island! d'oh!

Is it named after a place that was really an island?
That is partially correct. It is named after the Greek Island of Rhodes, but that is only part of the story. Why would a state that is not an island name itself after an island? Issy gave everyone a clue.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:24 PM   #5794
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Around Oz, we have a number of places named by the Dutch explorers - for example Groote Eylandt up north, and Rottnest Island (from Rats' Nest) near Perth. (The Dutch thought the quokkas, little marsupials, were giant rats.)

So is Rhode Island originally a Dutch name for an island off the coast, which was subsequently extended to mainland territory? I know the Dutch were over your way too, because of New York originally being New Amsterdam, but that's about the sum of my knowledge.
That was a heck of a guess.

There is a large island off the coast of Rhode Island, and it is so close to the land that most people don't even realize they are on an island when they are on it, and it is where the city of Newport is located. It is kind of like Manhattan. Most people don't even recognize the city is really on an island.

In any event, the Dutch did call the island off of Rhode Island's coast "Roode Eylant", because Roote means red and the island has a red clay shore and during the fall it has beautiful red foilage. However, back in 1500s the explorer Giovanni da Verrazzano discovered Block Island off the coast of the mainland, and he called that island "Rhode Island". During the time that Roger Williams founded the state the two stories had become conflated and the island where Newport is located had become Rhode Island (it is now called Aquidneck Island, which is the original native American name of the island).

In any event, none of this explains why the state is called Rhode Island. The reason the state is called Rhode Island is because the official name of the state is actually "Rhode Island and Providence Plantations". So, the name of the state comes from that island off of its coast where Newport is located and Providence which is the biggest city in the state. Most people just shorten the name to Rhode Island because "Rhode Island and Providence Plantations" is a mouthful.

Issy knew the real reason is was called Rhode Island even though it isn't an island, but SneakySnake was right that it was named after an island, and Bookpossum was right about the Dutch link. So, any of them should give us our next quiz.

Last edited by Daithi; 02-26-2012 at 12:27 PM.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:03 PM   #5795
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Not me, I'm so close to RI&PP that there's no merit in knowing.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2012, 05:53 PM   #5796
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Golly, I can see why the name is shortened to Rhode Island!

Sneaky, you have a go because you made your guess before me.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:04 PM   #5797
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Golly, I can see why the name is shortened to Rhode Island!
They couldn't squeeze it onto the license plates.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:10 PM   #5798
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Me too. But as Yiddish isn't a local language here, I'll just keep quiet.

Stitchawl
Yiddish isn't a local language here, either, but I'm from New York.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:04 AM   #5799
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Well I think it might be my go (answer to Albatross question...), before I was so rudely interrupted by Daithi .

Here are three circumlocutions used by the US Army. Can you tell me what items they refer to?

1. Frame supported tension structure
2. Hexaform compression unit
3. Aerodynamic personnel decelerator

Last edited by orlok; 02-27-2012 at 09:06 AM.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:28 AM   #5800
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Well I think it might be my go (answer to Albatross question...), before I was so rudely interrupted by Daithi .

Here are three circumlocutions used by the US Army. Can you tell me what items they refer to?

1. Frame supported tension structure
2. Hexaform compression unit
3. Aerodynamic personnel decelerator
1. a spring of some kind? perhaps in a bedstead?
2. nut. (as in nut and bolt)
3. parachute
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:30 AM   #5801
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
No, I'm wrong on 1. Hopefully I'm right on 2 and 3.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:38 AM   #5802
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
1. chair?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:40 AM   #5803
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
1. a spring of some kind? perhaps in a bedstead?
2. nut. (as in nut and bolt)
3. parachute
2 and 3 are right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
1. chair?
Nope.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:42 AM   #5804
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
1. rubber band?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:43 AM   #5805
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
1. rubber band?
No...