Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 12-23-2023, 09:40 PM   #1
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
circumventing ajax.googleapis.com ?

Hi

I am a long time MR user, currently in China and also a Linux/koreader user.

For some reason, when connecting to MR, my computer suffer a huge delay before connecting (one, two minutes). Every time I change screen on MR, this delay happens again. MR became really unsuitable for me. However I know for sure that the site is not censored by China.

The reason: trying to connect to ajax.googleapis.com makes my computer dive into a black hole.

Of course I can avoid it: I modified the file /etc/hosts to add the line:
127.0.1.1. ajax.googleapis.com
It gave me back instant access to MR again.

But it triggered some unpleasant side-effects not only on MR but on other sites.

On MR, I cannot get anymore the dropping menu (with mail) when clicking Quick Links and so I lost access to my "sent mail". On this message, I cannot select Bold,or Code or any other formatting value.

I shall try other things: with Firefox, the NoScript Security suite allows me to disable ajax.googleapis.com selectively for your site. But the side effects will stay the same.

I understand I am on the wrong side of the planet. Can something be done to mitigate this situation?

Faithfully yours and a merry Christmas.

roger64

Last edited by roger64; 12-23-2023 at 09:53 PM.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 12:40 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I found some interesting discussions at https://meta.stackoverflow.com/quest...china-friendly which leads to a site https://decentraleyes.org/ that looks to offer a solution to locally provide resources to you. Might be worth checking out

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 03:27 AM   #3
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Peter for a very useful link. I'll try some recommended solutions and report back.
Old 12-25-2023, 04:55 AM   #4
roger64
Wizard

As far as I can see, thanks to the LocalCDN extension (Firefox), access to the site becomes again very fast, even from China.

However, even after using it, the site appears partially crippled, notably for the display of some drop-down menus. I think it must be fairly possible to get rid of ajax.googleapis.com for these drop-down menus. It would be a cosmetic change and would make the use of the site easier for-potentially-many people.