Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-29-2019, 07:13 AM   #1
barbiedolphin
barbiedolphin is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Removing "Duokan Store" and "Duokan Push" from directory view

Have any other Duokan users figured out how to remove them?

I even looked through forums with their names in chinese - "多看出品" and "多看推送" using google translate and couldn't find anything.
barbiedolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 07:15 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbiedolphin View Post
Have any other Duokan users figured out how to remove them?

I even looked through forums with their names in chinese - "多看出品" and "多看推送" using google translate and couldn't find anything.
Removing from "Device: None" should be easy as shit.

You have a technical question.
This is a technical forum.
So please provide a technical description of make/model of device and the firmware version it is running that you hope to fix.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 07:40 AM   #3
barbiedolphin

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Removing from "Device: None" should be easy as shit.

You have a technical question.
This is a technical forum.
So please provide a technical description of make/model of device and the firmware version it is running that you hope to fix.
Using a Kindle 4, the Duokan version seems to be "xKindle_2014-06-12.36013.rtm"
Old 01-29-2019, 09:27 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Using a Kindle 4, the Duokan version seems to be "xKindle_2014-06-12.36013.rtm"
Use Kubrick to format and re-install all Amazon system areas.
There might still be remains of Duokan on the system even after that, but the image Kubrick installs is jail broken (with our key) so you can do final clean-up by hand.

Duokan is not our project, never was. The closest this site ever got to the project was to supply code to the public which the Duokan project used for profit, without even giving credit.
So do not expect much help from here until you get your K4 cleaned up of the stolen code.

Last edited by knc1; 01-29-2019 at 09:29 AM.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:03 AM   #5
barbiedolphin

Quote:
Use Kubrick to format and re-install all Amazon system areas.
There might still be remains of Duokan on the system even after that, but the image Kubrick installs is jail broken (with our key) so you can do final clean-up by hand.

Duokan is not our project, never was. The closest this site ever got to the project was to supply code to the public which the Duokan project used for profit, without even giving credit.
So do not expect much help from here until you get your K4 cleaned up of the stolen code.
I bought the Kindle from a guy who said he installed Duokan using guides from this forum, I wasn't aware there was a blood feud between you guys and the chinese.

So is Kubrick pretty much the same thing but better? If Duokan is based on Kubrick, I assume it would still have all these neat features like custom screensavers/fonts and support for a wide arrange of formats, but without the tacked-on chinese parts nobody can use.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:50 AM   #6
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Kubrick is a sort of rescue disk for 3.x and 4.x Kindles.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 11:33 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I bought the Kindle from a guy who said he installed Duokan using guides from this forum, I wasn't aware there was a blood feud between you guys and the chinese.

So is Kubrick pretty much the same thing but better? If Duokan is based on Kubrick, I assume it would still have all these neat features like custom screensavers/fonts and support for a wide arrange of formats, but without the tacked-on chinese parts nobody can use.
Let me try to be clear(er):
There is no support for Duokan at this web site. Period.

Your choices are:
Use Kubrick to get rid of it completely.
or
Get your support from the Chinese.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:03 PM   #8
barbiedolphin

Quote:
Let me try to be clear(er):
There is no support for Duokan at this web site. Period.

Your choices are:
Use Kubrick to get rid of it completely.
or
Get your support from the Chinese.
So is Kubrick an OS, or just a debricking tool? Does it have features like Duokan's? If not, what should I install instead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Kubrick is a sort of rescue disk for 3.x and 4.x Kindles.
Yeah this is what I'm asking lol
Does it just install the normal Kindle OS afterwards?

Last edited by barbiedolphin; 01-29-2019 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:18 PM   #9
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Yeah this is what I'm asking lol
Does it just install the normal Kindle OS afterwards?
I've never used it, but a quick browse of its firdt post shows that you can do all kinds of things with it.

It has its own sticky thread at the top of this forum.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=206064
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 12:36 PM   #10
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
@barbiedolphin: Kubrick "just" installs / restores stock / factory Kindle OS (actually stock firmware that is also jailbreak-ed).

If you've decided to stop using Duokan then that is was you should do: start fresh, gain jailbreak, customize stock firmware.
Depending on what features of Duokan you were using thus far stock firmware + added KoReader is a valid alternative to those "I want to be able to read epubs on a Kindle" & "I want a better PDF reader software" types of scenarios.

Note the difference in approach:

1) install custom OS ( Duokan)

vs

2) add an app to stock OS. (Koreader is just an app, that you start using custom launcher named KUAL)

You can judge yourself what fits your use-case better.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 12:46 PM   #11
barbiedolphin

@shamanNS: Cheers, man. I'd check Koreader out (and it seems KUAL is already installed on the reader) but I'm on Windows and that github installation page looks... menacing.
Old 01-29-2019, 01:31 PM   #12
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
It is not that complicated , especially for older Kindle models like Kindle 4... even less so if you would use Kubrick to do the jailbreaking step while restoring firmware 4.1.1 on your Kindle.

The main thing that could possible need to be updated is "jailbreak bridge" (I'm just guessing since I've never owned Kindle 4 nor did I use Kubrick since it doesn't support newer Kindle models), before updating firmware to the newest available (4.1.3 ?) . To insure survivals of jailbreak certificate.

Once you have jaibreak (and MKK) on your Kindle adding KoReader is basically couple of simple steps:

1) download KUAL arhive > unpack somewhere on you PC> connect you Kindle via USB cable, copy " KUAL-KDK-1.0.azw2" file to your Kindle driveinto /documents folder (were you transfer normal book files when "sideloading"). KUAL is a "kindlet" which is a special type of "book".
2) download correct KoReader archive from Github page, unpack it onto you Kindle drive
3) run KUAL and use it to start/launch KoReader
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 04:12 PM   #13
barbiedolphin

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
It is not that complicated , especially for older Kindle models like Kindle 4... even less so if you would use Kubrick to do the jailbreaking step while restoring firmware 4.1.1 on your Kindle.

The main thing that could possible need to be updated is "jailbreak bridge" (I'm just guessing since I've never owned Kindle 4 nor did I use Kubrick since it doesn't support newer Kindle models), before updating firmware to the newest available (4.1.3 ?) . To insure survivals of jailbreak certificate.

Once you have jaibreak (and MKK) on your Kindle adding KoReader is basically couple of simple steps:

1) download KUAL arhive > unpack somewhere on you PC> connect you Kindle via USB cable, copy " KUAL-KDK-1.0.azw2" file to your Kindle driveinto /documents folder (were you transfer normal book files when "sideloading"). KUAL is a "kindlet" which is a special type of "book".
2) download correct KoReader archive from Github page, unpack it onto you Kindle drive
3) run KUAL and use it to start/launch KoReader
It worked, thankfully the default Kindle OS and KUAL were already installed alongside Duokan, so all I had to do was extract the github zip into the main directory and run KUAL.
I thought I'd need to run Linux in a VM and figure out how to install like 500 dependencies, wew...
Old 01-29-2019, 07:09 PM   #14
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
It worked, thankfully the default Kindle OS and KUAL were already installed alongside Duokan, so all I had to do was extract the github zip into the main directory and run KUAL.
I thought I'd need to run Linux in a VM and figure out how to install like 500 dependencies, wew...
You are missing a couple of points:
1) You did not remove Duokan.
It is still there and is known to interfere with non-Duokan applications.

2) Kubrick is a self-contained LiveCD of Linux, runs in RAM on bare hardware. Since no reference is made to whatever is installed on the PC, it makes no difference what is on the PC.

The add-ins you get from this site have one common prerequisite;
You MUST read and follow the directions.
When things go sideways for you, go back over this thread and then do those things you felt like skipping the first time.

Tags
duokan, push, store