Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 12-02-2014, 01:21 PM   #1
wizilinx
wizilinx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Question Calibre Progress Sticks At 47 per cent

Hi

I have been working on a document for quite a while. Calibre has been excellent. All of a sudden it will not convert epub to mobi. It sticks at 47% progress. I read on the forum just let it run but it has been running for 2 hours and it is still at 47%.

I converted the epub using KIndlegen but I really want Calibre to work again. I really would welcome some advice. I cannot go and start deleting images and all the kind of stuff. This book is already published and any editing is a risk. I was only making minor but essential changes.

PLEASE PLEASE HELP

Cheers
Jon

Last edited by wizilinx; 12-02-2014 at 01:22 PM. Reason: publishing issue
wizilinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 04:53 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Conversions have been know take 24hours or more to complete - conversion is a multi-pass stepwise process, the progress percentage is indicative only.

Let it run, it will eventually finish.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 05:53 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
If it is the same document that NOW takes forever,:

You did something that made a significant code change to the complexity.

CSS/style Code changes might be tiny, but have huge impact to the complexity of the rendering.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 07:15 AM   #4
wizilinx

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Conversions have been know take 24hours or more to complete - conversion is a multi-pass stepwise process, the progress percentage is indicative only.

Let it run, it will eventually finish.

BR
Really appreciate the reply...

Well it has been running for 36 hours so far and no change. I have a really fast computer.

Interestingly I tried an old epub that converted no problem before and it has the same problem. So to me it seems a problem with Calibre.

Kindlegen works.

If anything my last change was to emit CSS on a couple of paragraph styles in InDesign.

Surely there is a bug?? I cant wait for days for a conversion..

I repaired the library it said there were no problems..

I would love a work around. As this is currently unusable.

Cheers
Jon
Old 12-03-2014, 07:30 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
This will almost certainly be because you have InDesign set to produce fixed layout HTML in the EPUB, which means it generates endlessly repeated and redundant CSS, for every small span of text, which will take forever to convert.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:43 AM   #6
wizilinx

Hi

Thanks for your answer. I don't recall making any changes to my document in inDesign like this. All I did was change my logo and a bit of text (and one slight change to a paragraph style) - The latter seeming the most dangerous according to your answer. I think I noticed it was producing CSS and I switched it off..

I exported the same as I always did.

Also as I said a previously used epub that converted to mobi stopped working too...??

Also, why do KindleGen do a better job (only in the respect it doesn't hang?)

I will have to research why it has produced fixed html (what this means) and what settings I can use in Indesign to stop this problem Can you point me to some further information. I personally know what CSS is and where possible I switch it off - cause I don't know how to use CSS - and I dont want to either.. LOL
Old 12-03-2014, 09:45 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I have no idea, I dont use InDesign. I have seen InDesign produced EPUBs that are fixed layout and have tons of CSS which therefore take a much longer time to convert, so since I have not seen your EPUB, I am guessing it is one of those.

As for why kindlegen performs better, it's because it does much less than calibre. calibre produces MOBI files that look good from a far alrger colelction of input documents than kindlegen.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:50 AM   #8
wizilinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I have no idea, I dont use InDesign. I have seen InDesign produced EPUBs that are fixed layout and have tons of CSS which therefore take a much longer time to convert, so since I have not seen your EPUB, I am guessing it is one of those.

As for why kindlegen performs better, it's because it does much less than calibre. calibre produces MOBI files that look good from a far alrger colelction of input documents than kindlegen.
Thanks.. Well that helps but I still have to work out why so much css gets attached to the epub in InDesign By the way this is not "fixed layout" it is "flowable layout" - so even more confusing I suspect..

Tags
47%, calibre, epub conversion, mobi conversion, problem