Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-20-2013, 12:33 PM   #1
mickydouglas
mickydouglas began at the beginning.

Device: Smartphone Aldiko
Unhappy Add Kobo ebooks to Calibre library

As a newbie, I used Calibre Get Books to find which retailer I should choose to buy an EPUB version of a book I wanted. I found it in the Kobo store and used the link to buy it. Question now was how to download to my PC, so I installed the Kobo desktop and sync'd my book.

The question now is how to add the ebook to my Calibre library when I don't know the location of the Kobo ebook.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as the Calibre FAQ's and online help don't cover this topic at all?

Any transaction with the third party is outside of Calibre's remit.

mickydouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:46 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Don't try to use the kePub version downloaded by the Kobo desktop. If you go to "My Library" on the Kobo site you should see a teal/blue button in the books listing to download either an ePub with Adobe DRM, a DRM-free ePub or a DRM'd PDF (rare) depending on what's available.

Once you have the file downloaded you can add that to Calibre.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:17 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
As AnemicOak said, go to the Kobo shop and download the epub or other version of the book.

You can add books from the device to the calibre library. But, the driver deliberately blocks adding kepubs. This is because calibre has no support for them and any DRM in them makes it impossible to do anything with them. If you do want to look at them, find the book in the device list and select it. The details section will display the path to the file.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:42 AM   #4
mickydouglas

Smile

Many thanks for the replies. I did download this file when I first purchased my ebook but as I hadn't come across the acsm file type before, I dismissed it.

It now seems that this file is just the key the the ebook file and I need to download Adobe Digital Editions to get the physical epub file.

Pity calibre doesn't give any help on this, to a newbie it's a bit of a showstopper.

Here's hoping.

Many thanks.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:58 AM   #5
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickydouglas View Post
Many thanks for the replies. I did download this file when I first purchased my ebook but as I hadn't come across the acsm file type before, I dismissed it.

It now seems that this file is just the key the the ebook file and I need to download Adobe Digital Editions to get the physical epub file.

Pity calibre doesn't give any help on this, to a newbie it's a bit of a showstopper.
It's in the Calibre FAQ:

"How do I use purchased EPUB books with calibre (or what do I do with .acsm files)?"
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:59 AM   #6
mickydouglas

Smile

Beg pardon Meeera, you are right on the button there. Did not expect to find it in the Miscellaneous section. Still no excuse.

Anyway, complete success once I had downloaded ADE, created an Adobe ID, booted up calibre, added the epub file from its location in My Documents, sent it to my smartphone device, booted up Aldiko, touched 'Files' and imported my book once I had opened it after giving my Adobe ID and password.

Now a very happy bunny.

Thanks to everyone who posted.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:20 PM   #7
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickydouglas View Post
Beg pardon Meeera, you are right on the button there. Did not expect to find it in the Miscellaneous section. Still no excuse.

Anyway, complete success once I had downloaded ADE, created an Adobe ID, booted up calibre, added the epub file from its location in My Documents, sent it to my smartphone device, booted up Aldiko, touched 'Files' and imported my book once I had opened it after giving my Adobe ID and password.

Now a very happy bunny.
Cool. Happy reading!
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote