Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 08-19-2010, 11:29 PM   #1
jamied1353
jamied1353 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Adobe Digital Editions mac laptop help please

Hello,
I hope I'm posting this question in the right place. I have a mac laptop OSX and run the latest version of Firefox. I have downloaded, uninstalled and reinstalled ADE several times on my laptop with no luck. I think the problem is that the setup assistant fails to run and I am left with just a black box and no left side panel and no options in the menu bar, just the option to quit ADE.

I did install it tonight with no problems on my imac but I really will need to use this app on my laptop and I'm so frustrated right now.

Thanks for reading and any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Note: I did install calibre before ADE but then uninstalled and restarted with no luck.

-Jamie
jamied1353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:51 PM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Have you tried creating another user and seeing if it'll install to a new, clean account?

If so, then perhaps you have some screwed-up preference file from a previous attempt messing things up and can back up and remove all the Adobe stuff in ~/Library and /Library before trying again on your own account.

Another possibility is that you need to upgrade your Flash Player and turn off any javascript/flash blocking in Firefox. That's what I had to do before installing ADE on my PowerBook.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2010, 12:09 AM   #3
jamied1353

ATDrake, thank you for the reply. I do have the latest flash player and in firefox my java script is enabled.

Re: Library/preferences: how much of that do I need to get rid of? I've already done library/preferences/marcromedia/Flash Player/www.macromedia.com/bin/digital editions and removed only digital editions. Should I have removed more than that?

I was able to download it to my imac anonymously from adobe and have tried both anonymous and logged in downloads to the macbook.

Again, thank you for responding. Its been a very frustrating day!
Old 08-20-2010, 12:42 AM   #4
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There's also some Adobe folders in ~/Library/Application Support and ~/Library/Caches (two of them, one's labeled "digitaleditions" in mine) you might want to move out of the way.

You should also look into Preferences for some com.adobe.DigitalEditions.plist stuff, in both your user home and the root Library. And it probably wouldn't hurt to take the Digital Editions folder out of Documents, if you haven't already.

Now that I think back upon it, I'm not exactly sure I installed my ADE via Firefox at all because even though I turned javascript on, I also had this Flashblock thing going which might have gotten in the way. Perhaps fire up Safari and see if that'll work?

Hopefully that'll be all it takes. Best of luck with it.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:31 PM   #5
jamied1353

Thanks for your follow-up response. I didn't get to try what you suggested as it was getting late and I had had enough. I left it last night in the same situation. I did get a general response from Adobe regarding the ticket I had made and they asked for a long list of info. I called the tech support number, got no help so I was just going to call Apple Care and be done with it when guess what, I tried it again to attempt to take a screen shot and it worked. The setup assistant popped up and everything was restored.

The only think I could think that I did differently was download using Safari and I reinstalled Adobe Reader. Or could have Adobe done something on their end?

Advert
Old 08-20-2010, 02:45 PM   #6
ATDrake
Wizzard

I'm guessing it was probably Safari. On Firefox, even if you have javascript enabled, sometimes the flash/pop-up window blocking will automatically prevent certain things, even if you tell it not to, unless you disable it entirely. Assuming you have that particular add-on/built-in option installed/checked in the first place, that is.

Glad to hear it all worked out!

Tags
adobe digital editions