Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-08-2006, 04:47 PM   #1
Peregrine
Enthusiast
Peregrine began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
One Reader advantage...

That I hadn't quite realized before, is where before I would end up with a ton of p-books scattered around in various states of being read, now I tend to stay more focused on one book, or if I choose to switch around, all my books are in one place and bookmarked! No having to look around under a pile of books or wonder where a certain title went, it's all there within easy reach!
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 04:59 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
As long as you don't put your Reader under a pile of books.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2006, 05:51 PM   #3
Michele
Addict
Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
That's funny, I've had the opposite experience! Having all these books in one place tends to make me want to graze among the books on my Reader, and distracts me from focusing on one book.

Another thing I've noticed (once I settle upon a book ): the smaller amount of text on a page (compared to a pbook) seems to have the effect of speeding up my reading, focusing my concentration, and keeping me from daydreaming on a page. The end result is a much more direct input of info to my brain. My greatest dream has always been to be able to place my hand upon a book and just grok it completely. This is the closest I've found to that.
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 06:15 PM   #4
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS500, Looking at 700
How did you ever manage to grok something incompletely before ?
ultim8fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 11:07 PM   #5
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele
Having all these books in one place tends to make me want to graze among the books on my Reader, and distracts me from focusing on one book.
I only keep 3-4 books on the device at any given time for just that reason. If I want more available, I'll put them on an SD card that can be removed so they don't show up in the booklist!

There's something aesthetically pleasing about the device representing a current book only. (Odd when carrying many books is a big benefit of the Reader. But I just love the reading experience. Much better than paper for me, but I know that some people miss paper, even if they like the Reader.)
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2006, 11:33 PM   #6
William Moates
Zealot
William Moates began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Librie / Sony Clie / Sony Reader
Students

This could be a big advantage to students. Instead of lugging around a backpack full of textbooks, all the textbooks could be replaced with the Reader. Also any handouts (syllabi, articles, study guides) could be saved as Reader-sized PDFs and all put on the Reader! You might even get so many handouts that you'd want to sort it by memory cards. Your bookbag would mainly contain your notebooks (for the ever-reliable manual notetaking), so a full semester's worth of classes could easily fit on one bag. No more back-breaking loads for the students!
William Moates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 12:00 AM   #7
melchioe
Addicted
melchioe began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Nooks, PRS-505, Kindles, lots of old ones
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultim8fury
How did you ever manage to grok something incompletely before ?
Michael Valentine Smith said a number of times that he had not fully grokked something. When you have fully grokked something, you have experience the totality of that something, but it appears that grokking is a process, and as such can be incomplete .

(sorry, I think I memorized that book as a teenager).
melchioe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 08:54 AM   #8
airlik
Connoisseur
airlik began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
That (keeping track of my place in several books at once and eliminating 1/2 read books scattered throughout the house), and being able to actually READ those Gutenberg texts (who can read on a PC?), is the main reason I bought the Reader. It's my first such device, since for reading devices before now I was either a) unhappy with the price or b) unhappy with the display or c) both.

When I bought it, being able to stick in a memory expansion card was a big deal to me... but since I organize all my ebooks on the PC (like my music collection) and just copy on the ones I want to read or keep handy for reference, I haven't even come close to filling it yet... and I have 5 pages of books in it so far. Which brings up a question, actually - how much available memory does this thing have, really? The Connect software says around 90MB - I thought it was supposed to be closer to 64? I recall someone writing around here that content copied to the reader is compressed, so perhaps it's reporting "hypothetical space" based on assumptions about compression ratios rather than actual physical space free?
airlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 10:25 AM   #9
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
As long as you don't put your Reader under a pile of books.
"Honey! Where's my reader?"
"It's on the third shelf, in the fifth row of the library in our second house on planet Earth"
Where ever that is!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote