Notices

Old 03-14-2010, 12:27 AM   #1
lamparty
lamparty began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Question 0.6.45 Binary installation failure

Tried several times, with a reboot in between! No joy. here's the error message
Checking downloaded file integrity...

bzip2: I/O or other error, bailing out. Possible reason follows.
bzip2: Broken pipe
Input file = (stdin), output file = (stdout)
tar: Child returned status 1
tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors
Failed to download, aborting

Running Ubuntu 9.10
lamparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:40 AM   #2
readx
Connoisseur
readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamparty View Post
Tried several times, with a reboot in between! No joy. here's the error message
Checking downloaded file integrity...

bzip2: I/O or other error, bailing out. Possible reason follows.
bzip2: Broken pipe
Input file = (stdin), output file = (stdout)
tar: Child returned status 1
tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors
Failed to download, aborting

Running Ubuntu 9.10
Same problem here
readx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2010, 12:44 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by readx View Post
Same problem here
Exact same... Me too.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:42 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Sigh I have no idea what causes these errors. I can never replicate them, I can only conclude that there is some bad server in the google cdn that sends bad copies of the file to some users.

I don't really have anything to suggest except try it repeatedly.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:09 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I tried many times today i686 linux version
Failed similar 2 different ways.
some times "TAR= 8 blocks" shows before the fail
other times, it just fails.

I observed the /tmp folder.
the file grew to something around 32M before the script continued (and failed).
Advert
Old 03-15-2010, 11:36 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

All the script does is call the tar program to extract the contents of the tarball. If that's failing it means the downloaded file is corrupted. Since it works for me and other linux users, it means that the copy on only one of the CDN servers is corrupted, which affects some users, but not all. I've tried this download from two locations, one in India and one in the US ad it's never failed for me. So I really dont know what to tell you.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:09 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
All the script does is call the tar program to extract the contents of the tarball. If that's failing it means the downloaded file is corrupted. Since it works for me and other linux users, it means that the copy on only one of the CDN servers is corrupted, which affects some users, but not all. I've tried this download from two locations, one in India and one in the US ad it's never failed for me. So I really dont know what to tell you.
Do you know where the servers are located (G Sunnyvale campus?) ?
I seem to get the same server every time.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:27 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

No idea I'm afraid.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:57 PM   #9
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Do you know where the servers are located (G Sunnyvale campus?) ?
I seem to get the same server every time.
You can try a proxy (presumably the server closest to you is being chosen based on your IP), or have someone else d/l for you and put it on rapidshare or megaupload.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:01 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You can get the file from the sourceforge.net servers as well and just untar it into the /opt/calibre directory. Everything except device automounting will work if you do that.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:57 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You can get the file from the sourceforge.net servers as well and just untar it into the /opt/calibre directory. Everything except device automounting will work if you do that.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:13 AM   #12
Enuf
Enuf began at the beginning.

Device: eeePC 900, iphone and PRS300
I know its not much help to add a "me too" but I have always managed to successfully download calibre onto Ubuntu. For various reasons I did a fresh install of 9.10 and I thought that I was missing dependencies when I couldn't install 0.6.45. So in that sense I was glad to read that others were having problems too.

I've installed 0.6.13 from synaptic. Hopefully it'll get sorted in time
Enuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:17 AM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Success via the side door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enuf View Post
I know its not much help to add a "me too" but I have always managed to successfully download calibre onto Ubuntu. For various reasons I did a fresh install of 9.10 and I thought that I was missing dependencies when I couldn't install 0.6.45. So in that sense I was glad to read that others were having problems too.

I've installed 0.6.13 from synaptic. Hopefully it'll get sorted in time
I sucessfully downloaded the bz2 package from sourceforge
I then sudo a nautilus session and unpackaged into /opt/calibre
done.
Note that my metadata.DB was already at the 6.44 level.

Note to Kovid: The sourceforge Calibre Linux download button says 6.14.
I almost bailed
The next page offered current versions.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:45 AM   #14
Enuf
Enuf began at the beginning.

Device: eeePC 900, iphone and PRS300
"I sucessfully downloaded the bz2 package from sourceforge
I then sudo a nautilus session and unpackaged into /opt/calibre
done.
Note that my metadata.DB was already at the 6.44 level
" quote theducks

Thought I'd have a go at this and I managed to install it but I took the long way round! (my knowledge of shell commands is terrible!)

In case it might help someone else - I downloaded the .bz2 and converted it to deb file using "alien" (install from synaptic and then in a terminal type "sudo alien --to-deb <path to file>"). I then installed the deb file successfully but the program wasn't included in the applications list Had a brainwave then and simply added it to the startup applications! So now when I start ubuntu I have the new version of calibre sitting on the desktop Im absolutely sure there is an easier way to do this but this worked for me.

I hope I don't have to do this with every new version!!
Enuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 01:19 AM   #15
lamparty
lamparty began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Since 0.6.42 seems to work fine for my needs right now. I think I will stay with it till the next update, especially since I just tried the binary install again and it still fails the exact same way! The CLI and I have never got along very well! 8-) That's why i had an Atari 1040ST instead of a Commodore 64 or an Apple! and didn't go to Windows till win95, now that Ubuntu is usable with GUI, i am a happy camper again! Kovid enjoy your time in India! Don't spend too much time on the computer, we will survive till you get back!
lamparty is offline   Reply With Quote