Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-11-2009, 09:58 AM   #76
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
That's a good sign. Harry, since you're using a device that uses a more recent implementation of ADE, are there any new oddities or quirks that you've encountered?
The only quirk I've found is that it seems to omit blank lines in certain circumstances, which are displayed correctly on Calibre's ePub viewer. I'll have to look at the code, and find out which methods of displaying blanks work, and which don't.

Other than that, it all seems to work pretty well.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 11:13 AM   #77
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
I am afraid their surprise has already been spoiled. They will announce the immediate availability of the PRS-300, PRS-600 and the covers (regular and w/light), as well as eBookLib 3.0 with Mac support, and (possibly) FW upgrades for PRS-505 and/or PRS-700. But we already knew that, didn't we?

I doubt there will be anything else. I can hope they will also pre-announce the large-screen reader, and some connected (Wi-Fi or GSM SIM-card) readers. On the other hand, those are clearly not ready for release, so what's the point in announcing something before its time, and killing the sales of what's available.
Firmware upgrades are wishful thinking IMHO - good thing I'm not holding my breath for firmware upgrades for my PRS-500...
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2009, 11:20 AM   #78
jankovicgood
Connoisseur
jankovicgood will become famous soon enoughjankovicgood will become famous soon enoughjankovicgood will become famous soon enoughjankovicgood will become famous soon enoughjankovicgood will become famous soon enoughjankovicgood will become famous soon enough

Device: sony
Maybe Sony will anounce the PS3 SLIM with including a e-ink display to for low power and portable games
jankovicgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 11:25 AM   #79
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jankovicgood View Post
Maybe Sony will anounce the PS3 SLIM with including a e-ink display to for low power and portable games
The refresh rate of an e-Ink screen is way too slow for games.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:32 PM   #80
jankovicgood
Connoisseur
jankovicgood will become famous soon enoughjankovicgood will become famous soon enoughjankovicgood will become famous soon enoughjankovicgood will become famous soon enoughjankovicgood will become famous soon enoughjankovicgood will become famous soon enough

Device: sony
Don't know if this has been posted, but according to Slashgear the press conference will be on the 25th.
http://www.slashgear.com/sony-reader...oming-1151759/
jankovicgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2009, 01:02 PM   #81
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Depends on the game - I think having crossword puzzles on my PRS700 would be very cool, and refresh rate wouldn't be too bad for that. And the touchscreen seems like the ideal interface for them.
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:32 PM   #82
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
On a side note, I'm not even convinced there will be a firmware update.
I have asked Wilson Rothman (author of Gizmodo's article) about firmware update info and here's what he replied:
Quote:
Yes, that came from a briefing with Sony's Reader boss, Brendan Mullen. The new models will self-install the client on either OS for the older models you will download a new client, and a firmware update. Pretty sure you can plug in the older readers to any OS at this point anyway, so not sure what all the firmware update will do for compatibility, but that is what they told me. They did not indicate anything else that might be in the firmware update.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 03:03 PM   #83
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
I think it depends on what's Sony after this time. I cannot see what would they put into the PRS-505 firmware update. Unless they added some new functionality and some fixes to EPUB reader, what? I don't believe they need a FW update to make it compatible with Mac. So, my vote goes against a PRS-505 FW update.
What I would like to see for the PRS-505, and see as being possible for Sony to deliver, are:

- 5 levels of zoom for LRF (instead of the current 3 levels)
- fully justified epubs (I don't personally care, but I'm tired of seeing complaints about it )
- zoom for PDFs (ie: the way it was before the firmware upgrade) in addition to the current reflow

Other things I want but that are unlikely:

- arbitrary zoom for epub (instead of the current 3 levels)
- sort by number of pages
- add/delete/change category of a book while on device
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 05:10 PM   #84
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
A small update: Just received word from Sony that there was a mix up with the dates. The event is now scheduled for Tuesday, August 25 - so one day later than originally announced.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 05:12 PM   #85
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The day of the release of the 300 & 600. I'm hoping there will also be an announcement of a larger screen Reader with wifi to blow the socks off of the DX.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 05:54 PM   #86
jupstin
Groupie
jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Perhaps something in collaboration with Pixel Qi?
jupstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:59 AM   #87
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It would work for Chess!

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 05:51 AM   #88
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
It would work for Chess!

Dale
Never heard of speed chess? Down to 1 minute for the whole game? That is more fast paced action than any other game.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 05:55 AM   #89
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
It would work for Chess!

Dale
True, but I had in mind the type of games that people generally play on a Playstation .
Old 08-12-2009, 06:22 AM   #90
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
They'll announce immediate availability for a 12", 16bit color e-ink device, with full PDF, as well as 30fps video and Flash support....
Don't forget it will be $99 too!!
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote