Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-31-2013, 07:47 AM   #76
maaikelike
maaikelike began at the beginning.

Device: None yet
Question Will everything still work?

Hi,

I haven't made a choice yet between the Kindle Paperwhite 2 and the Kobo Aura (not HD).

Kindle doesn't support ePub. But you can convert it to Mobi with Calibre i heard.

But i was wondering if everything still works the same after I converted a ePub to a Mobi, like changing font sizes and fonts???
maaikelike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:52 AM   #77
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by maaikelike View Post
Hi,

I haven't made a choice yet between the Kindle Paperwhite 2 and the Kobo Aura (not HD).

Kindle doesn't support ePub. But you can convert it to Mobi with Calibre i heard.

But i was wondering if everything still works the same after I converted a ePub to a Mobi, like changing font sizes and fonts???
Don't convert to Mobi; convert to KF8 format, which Calibre calls "AZW3". Everything will still work absolutely fine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2013, 08:25 AM   #78
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by maaikelike View Post
Be warned that the PW2 does not support custom fonts. It is possible to embed them in the file if you know what you doing. It makes the files bigger and is a horrible kludge. The Kobo is a much better device when it comes to altering existing fonts and adding additional fonts. The PW2 can do it, but it is very user-unfriendly.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:37 AM   #79
tlaine
Zealot
tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Mini; Kindle PW2
I've found converting epubs to AZW3s with embedded fonts quite a simple process.
tlaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:15 PM   #80
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've found when you subest the fonts, you do reduce the size of the eBook to a more manageable size, So convert the ePub with the emebdded fonts with subsetting to AZW3 and it might be OK, But the one thing to note with the Kindle is that chances are that the line height is going to be large and ugly looking and there's not a lot you can do to fix this other then use a font that's had the metrics modified.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2013, 07:05 PM   #81
tlaine
Zealot
tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Mini; Kindle PW2
Yes, I subset using your modified Charis SIL. It looks great on the new Paperwhite.
tlaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:34 PM   #82
Ralob
Connoisseur
Ralob began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Libra 2, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlaine View Post
Yes, I subset using your modified Charis SIL. It looks great on the new Paperwhite.
Same here; the font is absolutely fantastic!
Ralob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:13 PM   #83
Corran006
Connoisseur
Corran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
This was my first thought as well. Why try to make a device do something it wasn't natively designed to do when there are so many good ePub readers available?
I would not do this. Eub readers seem to have a lot of Margin problems at the moment. I was reading both Kobo Aura and sony have it.

I owned the Aura for a short time and found the device wasted a lot of space at the bottom. I used Caliber to help fix it but it was not 100%.
Corran006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 02:43 AM   #84
Bksfinest
Bksfinest began at the beginning.

Device: Tablet w/ E-Ink :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Don't convert to Mobi; convert to KF8 format, which Calibre calls "AZW3". Everything will still work absolutely fine.
WAIT! So according to this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...e-book_formats & http://www.guidingtech.com/9661/diff...ebook-formats/

.MOBI is best. But you say use KF8 which probably will need a conversion again when I move to another device. What will be like the MP3 or better yet AAC which needs least conversions and holds most quality?
More on mobi: Readers can add blank pages in any part of a book and add free-hand drawings. Annotations — highlights, bookmarks, corrections, notes, and drawings — can be applied, organized, and recalled from a single location. Images are converted to GIF format and have a maximum size of 64K,[15] sufficient for mobile phones with small screens, but rather restrictive for newer gadgets. Mobipocket Reader has electronic bookmarks, and a built-in dictionary.

Also quote from second link: "I download ebooks with my desktop PC from Gutenberg in the mobi format for my Kindle. If I then open them with Stanza (a free ebook software) I can export them to the Kindle azw format and they are only about half the size in kilobytes as in mobi. Seems like a shame to download ebooks directly to the Kindle in mobi when it takes up twice the space. I have observed no difference in quality or usefulness."

THIS MEANS AZW format works great for size but is this the same for staying factor/transferability between devices? Or should I stick with .mobi?

I know Calibre should be able to handle all this for me, but I didn't like the app, not yet I need a class on how to use. And i don't want duplicate files.

Also I don't see why Amazon can't release fw updates and solve the epub issue other than $, there must be a way.

In summary, .Mobi or AZW for the future (5--10 years from now)?
Bksfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 03:06 AM   #85
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You are confusing ebook formats with file extensions. Mobi is a format. KF8 is a format. AZW is merely a file extension. A file with a ".azw" extension can be either a Mobi or a KF8 book. It may, indeed, hold both formats in the same file.

KF8 is a very much richer format than Mobi, and can handle much more complex formatting, as well as supporting features like embedded fonts, which Mobi does not.

Last edited by HarryT; 11-21-2013 at 03:09 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 03:21 PM   #86
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bksfinest View Post
In summary, .Mobi or AZW for the future (5--10 years from now)?
How I handle my books is keep a "permanent" copy in ePub and convert to AZW as needed for transferring to my Kindle. If I need to do another conversion, I always use my "permanent" ePub as the base file.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, file formats, kindle paperwhite