Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-15-2012, 09:18 AM   #841
Kai771
Just a Noob
Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3
@twobob

I suggest you use Code Sourcery/Mentor Graphics 2012.03 (arm-2012.03-57-arm-none-linux-gnueabi-i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.bz2). That's the preferred toolchain.
Kai771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:25 AM   #842
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai771 View Post
@twobob

I suggest you use Code Sourcery/Mentor Graphics 2012.03 (arm-2012.03-57-arm-none-linux-gnueabi-i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.bz2). That's the preferred toolchain.
Which is "in stock" in our DIY-KeK resource pool.
Although it may not be listed in the appendix B index, it is there (I just looked).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2012, 09:26 AM   #843
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

PS: Will fix that index one of these days.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:01 AM   #844
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
That looks reasonable to me.
You might learn more reading the on-line docs for that compiler version -
Check what changes where made to the default flags.

In general, the gcc authors have been tightening up the syntax checking and some of the flags (which are not in your command line) may have changed their defaults for ARM

Link to the on-line documents in our "Prefix: Tools" page, near the bottom.
hi mate. I am digging up the Command line. got side tracked by xmas
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:03 AM   #845
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Spoiler:
make -C libk2pdfopt BUILDMODE=shared CC="arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc" CFLAGS="-O2 -ffast-math -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -march=armv6j -mtune=arm1136jf-s -mfpu=vfp -mfloat-abi=softfp -marm -fno-stack-protector -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -D_GNU_SOURCE -fno-finite-math-only -O3" AR="arm-none-linux-gnueabi-ar" all
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/me/GIT/kindlepdfviewer/libk2pdfopt'
arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc -O2 -ffast-math -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -march=armv6j -mtune=arm1136jf-s -mfpu=vfp -mfloat-abi=softfp -marm -fno-stack-protector -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -D_GNU_SOURCE -fno-finite-math-only -O3 -c -Iinclude_mod -Iwilluslib -Ik2pdfoptlib -o willuslib/bmp.o willuslib/bmp.c
In file included from /opt/arm-2007q3/bin/../arm-none-linux-gnueabi/libc/usr/include/math.h:71,
from willuslib/bmp.c:28:
/opt/arm-2007q3/bin/../arm-none-linux-gnueabi/libc/usr/include/bits/mathcalls.h:82: error: expected identifier or '(' before '{' token
make[1]: *** [willuslib/bmp.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/me/GIT/kindlepdfviewer/libk2pdfopt'
make: *** [libs/libk2pdfopt.so.1] Error 2

Okay - will go dig up that TC then 2012.03? ...
EDIT: Okay already got in installed. Will give that a try

fixed

Last edited by twobob; 12-15-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Advert
Old 12-15-2012, 10:26 AM   #846
twobob

Spoiler:
Blimey. no fun today. 2012.03 make thirdparty

Quote:
==== Building LuaJIT 2.0.0 ====
make -C src
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/me/GIT/kindlepdfviewer/luajit-2.0/src'
HOSTCC host/minilua.o
Assembler messages:
Error: unknown architecture `native'

Error: unrecognized option -march=native
cc1: error: unrecognized command line option '-m32'
cc1: error: bad value (native) for -march switch
Erm. That was from wiped clean.

will do it one more time to be 100% certain.
fixed

Last edited by twobob; 12-15-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:35 AM   #847
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Blimey. no fun today. 2012.03 make thirdparty

Erm. That was from wiped clean.

will do it one more time to be 100% certain.
Grep that file tree for the march= assignments.
/dev/null that "native" not all toolchains support that. Use the march setting you show in the post a couple prior to this one.

PS: I am back.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:02 AM   #848
vdp
Enthusiast
vdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai771 View Post
@vdp
This is not exactly what you want, but you might find it helpful:

1. open first book. Close it.
2. open second book. Close it.
(repeat for the number of books you want)
3. in file chooser, press L. This will open a list of books that you opened recently. If you use that list to open a book, closing a book will return to that list, so it should be fairly easy to switch between them. KPV doesn't save full state of the book on closing, so it won't be exactly as you left it, but with a few keypresses more you'll get there .

Alternatively, you can copy all the books you want to quick reference to the same dir. (that is, use directories instead of collections. I wish amazon used this too )
Yes, as you said this is a partial solution, but unfortunately not a very practical one.
Anyways, thanks again for your help!
vdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:00 PM   #849
twobob

Spoiler:
wiped clean again 2012.03 TC. No flags. Nothing.

~/GIT/kindlepdfviewer $ make thirdparty
Quote:
# build only thirdparty libs, libfitz and pdf utils, which will care for libmupdf.a being built
# generate data headers
make -C mupdf generate build="release"
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/simon/GIT/kindlepdfviewer/mupdf'
MKDIR build/release
CC build/release/cmapdump.o
as: unrecognized option '--32'
make[1]: *** [build/release/cmapdump.o] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/simon/GIT/kindlepdfviewer/mupdf'
make: *** [mupdf/build/release/libfitz.a] Error 2
erm. hmm..
fixed

Last edited by twobob; 12-15-2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:08 PM   #850
twobob

Okay. long story short.

Shortnames linked to longnames is a bad idea. my bad. fixed. thanks
Old 12-17-2012, 11:58 AM   #851
vdp
Enthusiast
vdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watch

What is the standard way to navigate in a .pdf document with the current version of the viewer?
I am usually using landscape orientation with some zooming. With an old version from several months ago I can press down the 5-way and then use the 5-way for scrolling. When the end of the page is reached I press "next page"(">" on KDXG) to jump to the beginning of the new page(I personally like Duokan's UI more - "<" and ">" for both scrolling and changing the pages - but the above method is OK too). With the new version, when the bottom of a page is reached using the 5-way, the "next page" button moves the view to the end(and not the beginning as it was in the old version) of the next page. There is also a "P" key with help string "toggle page-keys mode: viewport/page". But the "viewport" mode again doesn't seem to work for me - when the end of a page is reached it jumps to some point around the middle of the next page!? Also I am not sure if I did something wrong, but now I can't even scroll to the end of page with the fiveway - it only goes to a certain position and won't move beyond that point...
Is there more comprehensive help somewhere(not counting the source code ), that explains these things?
Old 12-17-2012, 07:27 PM   #852
Kai771
Just a Noob
Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3
@vdp

Usually (in over 95% of cases) you'll want to set bounding box (bbox) first, and then use fit-to-content-width zoom mode. In that mode, page forward/backward will move viewport, and when the end of the page is reached, it will change page. If page mode is selected, page buttons will always change page.

Page/viewport mode switch only works (has effect) in "smart" zoom modes - "smart" zoom modes being fit-to-content-width and 2-column-mode.

The largest part of the remaining 5% of use cases, user will want to use 2-column mode - usefull for reading texts with 2 columns. In 2 column mode, pressing page forward/backwards (as well as pressing fiveway keys) will move viewport so the next part you need to read comes next automatically.

In all other modes, pressing fiveway just pans the page predetermined amount of pixels (very rarely useful).

I'd say that of the remaining zoom modes, the only one that's somewhat useful is full page mode, for setting bbox. The rest of the modes - well, maybe in some very, very rare occasion .

I hope you'll find this at least a bit helpful.
Kai771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:33 AM   #853
vdp
Enthusiast

@Kai771

In fact I find this very helpful . Thank you very much!
Old 01-06-2013, 05:11 PM   #854
otichy
Connoisseur
otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: KPW
Hey guys, any news on the Paperwhite support? I can see there is a JB for the latest fw on the forum and I am still undecided whether to get KPW or Bookeen Frontlight and the PDF Viewer is a deal breaker for me.
Thanks for the good work!
otichy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:17 AM   #855
tigran
Zealot
tigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Aura One,HD,H2O,Touch,Mini,Kindle 3+DXG,Nook Simple Touch
There are people working on the paperwhite support, so it should be useable soon.

However, it still remains the case that Kindle Keyboard (aka "Kindle 3") is the best/superior combination of hardware and software on an eInk device and if you need to read PDF files (presumably scientific ones, formatted for A4 paper size?) then the best device to use is Kindle DXG. So, if you own both Kindle 3 and DXG then you are perfectly well equipped for many years to come, assuming that the technology moves at the same slow pace as it did since 1970, i.e. nothing really worthwhile happened in computer industry since 1970s except Unix, TeX and Linux (and its derivatives like Android).
tigran is offline   Reply With Quote