Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-21-2011, 11:22 AM   #76
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Good Luck Daffy4u, keep us posted...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:52 AM   #77
hal2814
Connoisseur
hal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Well, I still have the Boxee Box and the Roku. I received a delay in shipment email on the Dell Zino and opted to cancel the order altogether. I'm going to try to upgrade some parts on my current desktop and turn it into a media server (I don't have any HDMI ports on it).

I've also come to the conclusion that I will not be able to ditch DirecTV at this time. I can't find an antenna solution for OTA HDTV that works in my condo (at least not at a price I'm willing to pay). I was able to get a $10 per month for discount for a year from DTV because I asked based on being a long time customer.
You might try a homemade bowtie antenna. There are instructions out on the internet. The one I made picks up towers up to 50 miles from my house and all I used was some copper wire, a block of wood, some sheathing nails, and a little $5 part from Radio Shack.

When I did ditch my satellite, the rep I talked to asked me what service I was switching to. I told her I wasn't switching to anything. I was just dropping the dish. She flat out refused to believe me. She told me I could tell her who I'm really switching to. She kept asking and I could tell she didn't believe me even when she finally gave up. That was definitely the second most fun I've had with a phone rep behind the time Columbia House was selling those monthly TV episodes in the mail and I kept asking for spinoffs I knew they wouldn't have like The Lou Grant Show, The Ropers, After MASH, and What's Happening Now. I went on for about half an hour.
hal2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2011, 12:08 PM   #78
Rick1971
cool a zombie!
Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Lenovo a2107a-f, Le PanII, Motorola Xoom FE
I built my media center a while back, I bought 2 Haupauge tuners and can record through Windows Media Center as I have Windows 7 Ultimate
so now I have a never ending hard drive and 2 tuners, plus I can watch from any computer in the house any program recorder there
also music videos and Netflix on any computer ot my tv that the Media Center computer is hooked up to
It is much like Tivo or Boxee but cost me much less to build and I get free TV and even HI-Def as well
Rick1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:25 PM   #79
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
FYI: There is an easy jailbreak for AppleTV2 using SeasOnPass which will enable it to run XMBC on your HTDV, iPhone*/iPad*. (Currently Mac only but working on windows)

*Note
installs on iPhone/Ipad via Cydia, and requires you to have Jailbroken device

Last edited by Wetdogeared; 01-21-2011 at 01:19 PM.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:36 AM   #80
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I've also come to the conclusion that I will not be able to ditch DirecTV at this time. I can't find an antenna solution for OTA HDTV that works in my condo (at least not at a price I'm willing to pay). I was able to get a $10 per month for discount for a year from DTV because I asked based on being a long time customer.
What shows do you get on DirectTV that you can't d/l from the Internet? Also, Hulu Plus for $10 a month is becoming a viable option... not sure if they have a big screen solution yet though.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2011, 08:48 PM   #81
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
What shows do you get on DirectTV that you can't d/l from the Internet? Also, Hulu Plus for $10 a month is becoming a viable option... not sure if they have a big screen solution yet though.

BOb
Lots of stuff, if you're talking about doing it legally. Sure, you can torrent a lot of stuff, but that's not legal, or precisely safe either (especially HBO and a few other networks that are more zealous about protecting their content).
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:08 PM   #82
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The one in particular I can't get is National Geographic Channel and the new season of Alaska State Troopers.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:28 PM   #83
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
Lots of stuff, if you're talking about doing it legally. Sure, you can torrent a lot of stuff, but that's not legal, or precisely safe either (especially HBO and a few other networks that are more zealous about protecting their content).
Ah.. thanks for keeping my honest. All of what I d/l it freely available OTA or online... so I see no illegality in it. Of course, I did give up some stuff... but I just couldn't justify paying what I was paying to watch one or two shows. Nothing is so good that I will miss it all that much.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:48 AM   #84
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I always wonder what's the difference between me recording something and watch it back later, or download the recorded version of somebody else which I downloaded...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:59 AM   #85
kennyc

About the same as recording a song off the radio vs downloading it from a pirate site.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:33 AM   #86
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
About the same as recording a song off the radio vs downloading it from a pirate site.
That would depend... Usually those music files are ripped from a CD, DVD, or any other official music carrier. I often download episodes from series which are recorded by others from TV. Ok, they usually remove all commercials, but if I record it myself, I always skip the commercials (why else record it?)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 04:59 PM   #87
kennyc

Well so much for saving money on my Satellite TV bill.
No I didn't fall for the COME BACK PLEASE deal but

I just bought this:

http://www.vizio.com/xvt473sv.html

But still it's a "fixed cost" no ongoing monthly charge and hopefully will last a long long time.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:01 PM   #88
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Ooooh Pretty!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 05:06 PM   #89
kennyc

Yes, it's very nice, built in wireless internet and internet apps - netflicks, hulu, rhapsody, etc.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:27 PM   #90
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I want it!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote