Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-30-2009, 04:36 AM   #16
Euroboy
Connoisseur
Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle2 Intl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGNY View Post
A subtle move of the wrist and glare is gone..
The opposite is also true...

I would recommend to check the reader out in person if you have the possibility. I am waiting for my anti-glare film. If that does not work, I don´t know what to do. But I must stress that the screen quality for me is way more important than touchscreen.

Good luck with your choice.
Euroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 06:07 AM   #17
Belanna
Belanna began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS 600
I'm an happy owner of a PRS 600 and I must say that glares aren't really an issue; most of all if you don't read with a very dim light. I agree that you should check it out in person but that's not always possible. I bought it on the internet and I'm extremly pleased with it. The touch is incredibly handy to take notes wherever you are and this capability is very important for me.
Belanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:39 AM   #18
stevegolf
stevegolf began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 300
Hi guys, bought my Sony PRS600 2 weeks ago and actually reading Dan Brown latest.

At first, I found odd to read black letters on gray display as a real book is black on white. Was a bit disapointed but got used to it.

Tried to look for a brighter display but they're all the same.

I'll just enjoy my Sony.

Happy friday everybody
stevegolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:15 AM   #19
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
I was very nearly put off buying the PRS-600 from reading some pretty damning reviews about lack of contrast and glare on screen.

Thankfully I took those reviews with a pinch of salt and bought one. Personally I find that at my normal reading angle there is no glare whatsoever - only if I angle the reader into a position in which I wouldn't read it (or a normal book) anyway.

There is a slight lack of contrast in dimmer lights - solution, use a book light or put a main light on. Had no problems reading it outside, in sunshine, under artificial light ... no problem

It is a MAJOR step-up from reading ebooks on a nintendo DS screen which was nigh on impossible to ever read outside!

If you get an opportunity to test them out at a sony centre, this is a good idea. I couldn't do this as I'm stuck in a small village with stroppy toddler and don't drive. But I would have sent the PRS-600 back and got the 300 version if clarity had been an issue.

Thank the [insert whatever you believe in] it's friday!
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 02:23 PM   #20
Euroboy
Connoisseur
Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshm View Post

But I would have sent the PRS-600 back and got the 300 version if clarity had been an issue.
Sadly I cannot. I bought in on ebay, but I will stick with it for a few weeks and see if I can get used to it. Also I hope my anti-glare film is going to help.

What I have learned from this experience is that I definitely need an ebook reader
Old 10-31-2009, 02:35 PM   #21
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euroboy View Post
Sadly I cannot. I bought in on ebay, but I will stick with it for a few weeks and see if I can get used to it. Also I hope my anti-glare film is going to help.

What I have learned from this experience is that I definitely need an ebook reader
Hopefully you will get used to it after a few weeks - have read that this has happened to a number of people.

If not I guess you could always sell it back on ebay and try something else.

I'd hate to be without an ebook reader now, just doing so much more reading. So easy to pick up and put down (essential with a toddler - and at least they can't rip it!) the device remembers where you got to even without using a bookmark and love the fact that I can switch between reading books so easily depending what mood I'm in.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 04:47 AM   #22
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
I have had mine for about a month. Yes, there is some glare at time, but even print pages can get glare with certain lighting. I have not found a situation where I could not tilt the reader slightly and be fine.

As for contrast, when I got it, I thought it was a bit less than the PRS_5005/Kindle display. But comparing it to the PRS-505 in a Brookstone store in the airport, it is about the same. And also seeing sveral Kindles in use on my last trip, it is about the same. It isn't perfect, but it is more than usable.

I figure, in 2 years, the units will make today's look like donkey carts. But for those two years, I am LOVING mine.

I travel a lot internationally and just not having to carry so many books is sweet.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 02:05 PM   #23
stevegolf
stevegolf began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 300
Hi guys, call me crazy, but I just swaped my Sony PRS 600 for the PRS 300. I really enjoyed the size of the PRS 600 but I found that the PRS 300 has a much brighter page display and the characters are more visible. It looks like the Eink in the PRS 300 is better with less contrast. Nothing really against the 600 but my 300 is easier for me to read. Thought I'd share that with you. I bet Sony will come up with a solution for a mutch brighter display eventually.
stevegolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 02:35 PM   #24
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
Kind of agree with everyone.

The glare is not as bad as a shiny book, but the display is not as easy on the eye as my old 505. However, it's perfectly good, and I am loving the increase in speed and (against expectations) the touch screen.

Passed the 505 to my wife - think it will be in the family for ever. The 600 is nice, but it will be on eBay when Sony fix the clarity issue with the 605! In the mean time, still much prefer it to a p-book, just not with the kind of religious passion I felt for the 505!

If you don't need the speed, the dictionary or touch screen, the 300 is fantastic.

Just my thoughts.

amjb
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 03:12 PM   #25
FlyFree
Bookworm
FlyFree began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS600
Have had my 600 for about 2 weeks now - I think its really great! I drooled over the description of the 700 last year - and had decided to buy it - until I saw the demo. The clarity of the touch screen was really disappointing, and was the deal-breaker. SOOO glad I waited for the 600. The screen contrast is very good (while not quite as good at the 505's I've seen) but the most fantastic thing is the on-board dictionary and note-taking function. Its true that at some angles, there is a reflective glare - but just a little tilt and it goes away. Once you are involved in your reading - you won't even notice! The size is just right - easy to hold in one hand - and you can just flick your thumb to turn the page. Very nice!
FlyFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 07:34 PM   #26
Tony Hoyle
Enthusiast
Tony Hoyle began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS600
I did need to adjust the lighting in my room to help the screen - it seems to not perform well under low light, unlike a paper book, so I put a lamp behind me so it was illuminating the screen more directly. This has fixed any issues I had.

Reflection was an issue under the lower lighting but the brighter setup increases to contrast sufficiently that it's gone away completely - which seems counterintuitive as there's more to reflect..
Tony Hoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 03:35 PM   #27
Euroboy
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjbrown View Post
Kind of agree with everyone.

The glare is not as bad as a shiny book, but the display is not as easy on the eye as my old 505. However, it's perfectly good, and I am loving the increase in speed and (against expectations) the touch screen.

Passed the 505 to my wife - think it will be in the family for ever. The 600 is nice, but it will be on eBay when Sony fix the clarity issue with the 605! In the mean time, still much prefer it to a p-book, just not with the kind of religious passion I felt for the 505!

If you don't need the speed, the dictionary or touch screen, the 300 is fantastic.

Just my thoughts.

amjb

The only thing that stops me from switching from my 600 to a kindle2 is the dictionary and to some degree - the open format. I am really unhappy about the glare, hurts my eyes but I can hold out for now..
Old 11-12-2009, 03:38 PM   #28
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euroboy View Post
The only thing that stops me from switching from my 600 to a kindle2 is the dictionary and to some degree - the open format. I am really unhappy about the glare, hurts my eyes but I can hold out for now..
If the dictionary is all that's stopping you, you should switch, because the Kindle comes equipped with a pretty good dictionary and the ability to change to a different dictionary if you so desire. But the Kindle doesn't support an open format, so if that's a problem, keep what you have.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 11-12-2009 at 03:40 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 04:12 AM   #29
Euroboy
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
If the dictionary is all that's stopping you, you should switch, because the Kindle comes equipped with a pretty good dictionary and the ability to change to a different dictionary if you so desire. But the Kindle doesn't support an open format, so if that's a problem, keep what you have.
Really? Didn´t know that. Must be hard to point out the word you want to check though... Not that I want to make this into a kindle2 discussion, but my plan is to wait for a kindle DX int ed. The open format is less of a problem for me, although I like it, I rarely read a non drm book anyway.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:00 AM   #30
Aerogal
Aerogal began at the beginning.

Device: none
shopping for a present

I want to buy my son & husband readers. I like the features and accessability of public domain ebooks that's supported by the Sony products. I read about the PRS 900, but I think I'd like that more than them since I read magazines more than they do. The 600 looks like a good fit, even with a glare (which suprises me from a Sony product).
I didn't see anything about a 605 to fix the screen/contrast. where can I find info about it?
Aerogal is offline   Reply With Quote