Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-25-2011, 09:22 PM   #1
arvalin
arvalin began at the beginning.

Device: none
category filter

Hello,
I am new to Calibre and I couldn't find the answer to my question. How can I add new "filter" such as "title" or "rating" to "category filter" ?

Thanks in advance,
arvalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:18 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I don't understand what you are actually trying to do. Do you want to search by title or rating? If so, try using the tag browser on the left hand side.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:23 PM   #3
arvalin
arvalin began at the beginning.

Device: none
Sorry , I mean when I create a new category and want to add the books to this new category, on manage user categories screen I can list the books only according to their tag,authors,series and publishers.I want to add a new option to category filter to list them according to their titles.Is it possible?

Thanks,
arvalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:33 PM   #4
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
No it is not possible to add a specific book using its title to a user category. User categories are only for a grouping higher than per book, such as commonality like a tag, series, author or publisher. So for instance creating a category of your favourite authors.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:10 PM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
No it is not possible to add a specific book using its title to a user category. User categories are only for a grouping higher than per book, such as commonality like a tag, series, author or publisher. So for instance creating a category of your favourite authors.
You are correct about the intent of user categories.

That said, one can now create arbitrary categories using composite custom columns (columns built from other columns), then add these categories to user categories. This gives an indirect way to accomplish what the OP wants. For example, if someone creates a composite column with the template "{title}" and checks 'show in tag browser', then items in this new 'category' can be added to a arbitrary user category.

You can also use this facility to create a user category containing books (yes, this isn't what they were intended for, but ...). Use a template like "{title} - {id}", which guarantees a unique entry in the new category for each book. Drag this category to the user category to add the 'book' to the user category. Perhaps your category plugin would also be useful here?

Of course, all of this can be done with (the equivalent of) tags, but some people don't think that way. They want to see a list of books in the user category, not a list of categories.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:27 PM   #6
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Firstly, I stand corrected - it is indeed now "possible" (with a little coercion) .

Here is why I didn't think this was possible (other than I know it was only recently added!). When I went into the User Categories editor, the category filter still only had the four elements that the OP mentioned. So I just "assumed" nothing had changed in that regard.

However for my own test now, I just followed your directions, created a custom column with template {title} and went back into the User Categories editor. Now the dropdown not only has my newly added title custom column, it also lists all of my other text type custom columns that I had? Note that I hadn't gone through and ticked the box for them in the custom column dialog (I wasnt aware of this functionality until now). However until I did tick the box for my new fake {title} custom column, they didn't appear in that dropdown?

Expected or bug?

I'm wondering if I need to enhance my User Category plugin at some point now too - since the criteria of possible stuff to add is now much wider...
Old 03-26-2011, 03:37 PM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
However for my own test now, I just followed your directions, created a custom column with template {title} and went back into the User Categories editor. Now the dropdown not only has my newly added title custom column, it also lists all of my other text type custom columns that I had? Note that I hadn't gone through and ticked the box for them in the custom column dialog (I wasnt aware of this functionality until now). However until I did tick the box for my new fake {title} custom column, they didn't appear in that dropdown?

Expected or bug?
If you are saying that the custom columns did not appear until you checked the box, that is expected behavior. If they appeared for 'unchecked' columns when you checked the one, that is wrong.

EDIT: I might have misunderstood. All 'normal' text custom columns should have appeared in the drop down. Only checked composite columns should be there. Is that what happened?

Quote:
I'm wondering if I need to enhance my User Category plugin at some point now too - since the criteria of possible stuff to add is now much wider...
Good question. My guess is that your original rationale for writing the plugin is even more valid now -- avoiding clicking in the 'right' column and dragging the book. The problem is, as you say, the complexity of choosing source and destination. My suspicion is that some significant customization may have become more desirable.

Last edited by chaley; 03-26-2011 at 03:41 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:52 PM   #8
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Ok, let me give a few more details because I was "surprised" and usually surprises sometimes aren't always right .

In my test library I have a bunch of existing custom columns of various types. Two Yes/No columns, one date column, a "Column built from other columns" for my goodreads id and then three series/genre type columns which I was testing various plugin functionality with. One was a "Text column for keeping series-like information", one was "Text, column shown in the tag browser", and the third was "Comma separated text, like tags, shown in the tag browser"

I had gone into the Manage user categories dialog and confirmed that the only filter categories available were the four the OP mentioned, at which point I made my first post (funnily enough it had occurred to me that maybe there was a custom column possibility nowadays, but as none of my columns were in the dropdown I assumed not).

Only after your post did I then create a new custom column of type "Column built from other columns", put in the {title} formula and ttick the "Show in tag browser" for it.

As you would expect, my new custom column showed up in the tag browser with titles listed within it. However when I go into the Manage user categories dialog now, the dropdown of filter types has 8 items in it - the "original 4", my new title column which I expected, but also the three "text" variation columns shown above. My Goodreads id column does not appear, and the checkbox for it is unchecked.

So my confusion lies as to if those text columns should always have appeared in the list why they did not until I added that {title} column with the "Show in tag browser" option checked. Or are they not supposed to appear at all... as they have no checkbox option available for them anyway about whether to "Show in tag browser".

Sorry for the long description but it is a complicated scenario so hopefully I am not missing anything relevant.

Tks also for your comments about the User Category plugin - indeed with the criteria for adding to a category rapidly expanding I agree it could be even more useful to support the other options. I think I will wait a while for it all to settle down again and then bend your ear over what I need to do
Old 03-26-2011, 04:02 PM   #9
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Oh - and I know this is totally the wrong place to ask for it but while I think of it (since my registration response email from the new tracker never arrived)...

Could the preferences dialog for user columns be enhanced to make use of the massive unused real-estate to show some additional columns of information about the type and formulas contained within those columns? It would save a huge amount of clicking when you just want to review what columns you have setup and what types they are, rather than repeatedly drilling in with the i button column after column...
Old 03-26-2011, 05:30 PM   #10
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I had gone into the Manage user categories dialog and confirmed that the only filter categories available were the four the OP mentioned, at which point I made my first post (funnily enough it had occurred to me that maybe there was a custom column possibility nowadays, but as none of my columns were in the dropdown I assumed not).
This would have been true until the latest release. I found during testing the new composite-category stuff that one could drag/drop custom columns onto user categories, but the user category editor did not support them. This was clearly wrong.
Quote:
As you would expect, my new custom column showed up in the tag browser with titles listed within it. However when I go into the Manage user categories dialog now, the dropdown of filter types has 8 items in it - the "original 4", my new title column which I expected, but also the three "text" variation columns shown above. My Goodreads id column does not appear, and the checkbox for it is unchecked.
So far, so good. The only columns that should appear are text columns.
Quote:
So my confusion lies as to if those text columns should always have appeared in the list why they did not until I added that {title} column with the "Show in tag browser" option checked. Or are they not supposed to appear at all... as they have no checkbox option available for them anyway about whether to "Show in tag browser".
Perhaps the confusion stems from my change to add the already-category custom columns to the drop box in this release?

I have tried to repeat the scenario -- having text-like custom columns that don't show in the box until a composite column is added -- and have failed. Is it possible you did an upgrade between the tests or were remembering earlier behavior? I hesitate to ask this question because you clearly are careful about such things, but as this change wasn't announced you might not have noticed?
Old 03-26-2011, 05:49 PM   #11
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

I hadn't upgraded. However I just now thought of the most likely reason - it is possible (and indeed probable given you can't replicate it) I switched libraries in between, from a library that had no custom text columns to my test library that does? I can't remember doing that, but then my memory ain't what it used to be... sorry dude, hope that explains it.

I double checked my laptop which I haven't fiddled with these settings on and the custom columns appear in the list, so that confirms all seems to be working as it should. Sorry for wasting your time, should have thought of this reason before... too many things going on, brain hurts...