Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 04-09-2009, 06:16 PM   #16
KingDani
Zealot
KingDani began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000s,Gigabyte U60 UMPC, SmartQ v7,EKEN M001
wow , i didn't know that , so basically if i succeed converting CHM files , the hyperlinks for the index page would remain in place? this means i can jump from the index page at the beginning of the book to say page 1000?
that would be great
KingDani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:22 PM   #17
Grimulkan
Lord
Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Q1 (on way out), PRS505, DR1000S (dead :<), TC1100 (10'' perfection!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDani View Post
wow , i didn't know that , so basically if i succeed converting CHM files , the hyperlinks for the index page would remain in place? this means i can jump from the index page at the beginning of the book to say page 1000?
that would be great
Yep. I've done this a bunch of times before. Use Microsoft HTML Help Workshop to decompile your CHMs, and then combine all the HTMLs into a PDF (the context menu action should work in Adobe Acrobat Professional). There might be other (free) ways of combining HTML files into a single PDF, so snoop around.
Grimulkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2009, 01:38 AM   #18
KingDani
Zealot

well it's official , i'm either really stupid , or don't know anything about converting. i have tried several converters , including UDC , ABC Amber CHM to PDF converter ( which basically is a universal converter too ) , and PDF Creator , and in all of them i have same 2 problems:
1. i can not force the program to use a drive other than win xp for temp folder , it seems all the processing is happening there , as i have mentioned i have less than 2gb of free space there and reformatting the whole machine is not an option in short run. so after couple of hundred pages , the system slows and then "out of system resources" pops up.i have more than 20gb on other drives.
2. in none of these softwares i succeeded to solve the "end of text falls out of page" problem . my guess is , they all use same method to generate PDFs , so this problem should either be solved in all of them or none. when it starts a CHM file , i believe they decompile it, and then print it out , in the process , none tries to allign the text in a way that has borders within the page ,result? half of each line is non-existing in the created PDF.

any suggestions for these 2 problems?
cheers
Old 04-12-2009, 02:47 AM   #19
Grimulkan
Lord
Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
<snip>
1. i can not force the program to use a drive other than win xp for temp folder , it seems all the processing is happening there , as i have mentioned i have less than 2gb of free space there and reformatting the whole machine is not an option in short run. so after couple of hundred pages , the system slows and then "out of system resources" pops up.i have more than 20gb on other drives.
Control Panel->System Properties->Advanced->Environment Variables and change TEMP and TMP to point to wherever you want.
Quote:
2. in none of these softwares i succeeded to solve the "end of text falls out of page" problem . my guess is , they all use same method to generate PDFs , so this problem should either be solved in all of them or none. when it starts a CHM file , i believe they decompile it, and then print it out , in the process , none tries to allign the text in a way that has borders within the page ,result? half of each line is non-existing in the created PDF.
I am not familiar with the software you have listed, but is the problem in the decompilation state or in the PDF conversion stage? Try the M$ one I linked to if you think the problem is in the first stage, but I suspect it will give the same output. I have not had this issue with any CHMs I have tried, but I haven't tried too many. If the problem is that the HTML->PDF coversion isn't perfect, try a few other converters. Like I said, Acrobat works for me. If the HTMLs come out fine, I'm guessing there must be some way out there to get it to look right on a PDF, with proper text wraping and margins.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:51 AM   #20
KingDani
Zealot

i have used the ABC Amber CHM converter , on a 3ghz Athlon and 1giga RAM , on a win xp drive , that has 21gb free space , and everything was jolly good. it converted three huge CHMs ( each 200mb) and the results are fantastic. the program is highly recommended , i'm actually headed to buy it. the only glitch i noticed ,is that the page numbering that it produce , when pages exceed 1000 , is a little bit off , the last number on right goes out of page.but with DR , you don't need that.

anyway , right now , i don't know how to find out , which part of PC should be upgraded, i am going to buy a license for this software , and chances are , it's only valid for my PC and not someone else's,so what should i change to have a functional PC ? i have win xp , less than 2gb free space on it's drive ( other drives are fine) and p4 2.8ghz and half a gigabyte of ram.
what do you suggest to improve? i know my PC is ancient , but i don't want anything fancy here.
cheers
Advert
Old 04-14-2009, 06:56 AM   #21
KingDani
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimulkan View Post
Control Panel->System Properties->Advanced->Environment Variables and change TEMP and TMP to point to wherever you want.

I am not familiar with the software you have listed, but is the problem in the decompilation state or in the PDF conversion stage? Try the M$ one I linked to if you think the problem is in the first stage, but I suspect it will give the same output. I have not had this issue with any CHMs I have tried, but I haven't tried too many. If the problem is that the HTML->PDF coversion isn't perfect, try a few other converters. Like I said, Acrobat works for me. If the HTMLs come out fine, I'm guessing there must be some way out there to get it to look right on a PDF, with proper text wraping and margins.
i got until this page , but frankly i don't know how to change them , when i enter either one , there is no drive here. so , but i never done this before.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	temp.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	27558  
Old 04-14-2009, 01:37 PM   #22
Grimulkan
Lord

Quote:
i got until this page , but frankly i don't know how to change them , when i enter either one , there is no drive here. so , but i never done this before.
You're in the right place. Hit edit after highlighting TMP and change the "variable value" field to, say, X:\Temp, where X is the drive on which you want your temp folder. Make sure you've already created this folder on drive X. Repeat the process for TEMP. Restart. You can clear out your old temp folder after the restart if you like.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:41 PM   #23
KingDani
Zealot

thanks pal , can it be X:\wintemp\TEMP?
Old 04-14-2009, 04:56 PM   #24
Grimulkan
Lord

Quote:
thanks pal , can it be X:\wintemp\TEMP?
It can be anywhere you like Just make sure the folder exists.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:53 AM   #25
KingDani
Zealot

thnx for your help , gonna gve the CHM converter one more try with new temp folder , in order to get good results tonight
cheers
Old 04-20-2009, 09:24 AM   #26
KingDani
Zealot

well it seems the problem is gone for now , but i have a very weird new one, since i changed the temp folder , everytime my pc is left to itself ( usually some torrent client is open ) , and i come back i see the error message " windows virtual memory is critically low , windows try to increase it , in the meantime , the requests for memory by programs might be denied." and the system works really slow for sometime.
now i believe that virtual memory of Windows is in win xp drive , did it changed? i never had this error before . what happened?