Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-24-2013, 12:56 PM   #91
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigran View Post
There is black tape at the bottom, but not at the sides or top.

Ignore Koreader (though I am using the latest build, 479), because all this is happening in the Home screen of Kobo, i.e. not with 3rd party applications.

UPDATE: Should that black tape be removed?
NO, unless it were blocking the IR emitters on the sides.
See the picture I linked to, above.

Well, one other possibility, since you had it out of the case, is that the film for the frontlight got loose from it's connector, somehow. I think it is the smaller one under the big one above where the internal uSD card plugs in. The connectors have lever/bars that clamp down the film when it is in the connector.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 08-24-2013 at 01:08 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:03 PM   #92
tigran
Zealot
tigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Aura One,HD,H2O,Touch,Mini,Kindle 3+DXG,Nook Simple Touch
Ah, wait, I read a few posts earlier about the sticky tape. Should I remove it? It didn't feel like a tape, but just like glue. But it must have been the tape. So, should I open it again and remove the tape, if it is there?

UPDATE: I am talking about the sticky transparent tape along the whole perimeter of the bezel. There is none on the screen itself. I'll open it now again and look. Maybe that tape is blocking the IR?

UPDATE: Ok, will check your film hypothesis now. Thank you.

Last edited by tigran; 08-24-2013 at 01:11 PM.
tigran is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2013, 01:12 PM   #93
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Ah, wait, I read a few posts earlier about the sticky tape. Should I remove it? It didn't feel like a tape, but just like glue. But it must have been the tape. So, should I open it again and remove the tape, if it is there?

UPDATE: I am talking about the sticky transparent tape along the whole perimeter of the bezel. There is none on the screen itself. I'll open it now again and look. Maybe that tape is blocking the IR?
NO, that tape should remain on the bezel, it is not a factor, it just insures the IR Guide part of the bezel is held in place at the surface of the screen.

Luck;
Ken
Old 08-24-2013, 01:17 PM   #94
tigran
Zealot
tigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Ah.... It is COMPLETELY DISCONNECTED!!! But how do I connect it back??? Oh, I need a picture of how it should be...

UPDATE: and it is just IMPOSSIBLE that I disconnected it myself. I didn't even touch it. It must have been ALMOST disconnected before....

I only touched the uSD card, nothing else.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:20 PM   #95
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Ah.... It is COMPLETELY DISCONNECTED!!! But how do I connect it back??? Oh, I need a picture of how it should be...

UPDATE: and it is just IMPOSSIBLE that I disconnected it myself. I didn't even touch it. It must have been ALMOST disconnected before....

I only touched the uSD card, nothing else.
Ok; I'll attach a picture on edit.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...1&d=1367528183

If you look at it full size, the brown part of the connector can be flipped up to release/insert the film and pressed back down to secure it.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 08-24-2013 at 01:27 PM.
Advert
Old 08-24-2013, 01:21 PM   #96
tigran
Zealot

Here is how it is at the moment:

http://www.bibles.org.uk/Kobo.jpg
Old 08-24-2013, 01:27 PM   #97
tigran
Zealot

Ok, I got light now!!! Thank you.

Now only the top right corner is a problem...
Old 08-24-2013, 01:58 PM   #98
tigran
Zealot

Hmmm, the situation is worse than I expected. Running Sketch Pad shows that the big (about 2cm) strip on the right side is inaccessible, not just the top right corner.

UPDATE: This means I can't even turn the pages in the normal (Nickel?) pdf viewer, but I can do this in koreader.

Oh well, this is the price to pay for upgrade to 32GB. As I intend to use it almost exclusively in koreader, I suppose I will have to live with it.

But if anyone has any other suggestions on what else I could try to restore the IR sensors on the right edge of the screen please do say so.

Last edited by tigran; 08-24-2013 at 02:33 PM.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:33 PM   #99
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Now, we need to get into how the IR touchscreen works.

The Bexel is made up of two piecies of plastic, the inner black shiny plastic is an IR Guide, the plastic is transparent to IR beams and the internal corners reflect the beams, so that when the IR emiters at the sides shine into the scalloped edges of the black plastic, the beams are directed through the plastic and outthe edge facing over the surface of the screen.

Anything that interrupts the IR beams, anywhere along it's path will prevent that part of the touchscreen from working.

Luck;
Ken
Old 08-24-2013, 02:43 PM   #100
tigran
Zealot

Thank you. So, for the right strip of about 1.5cm from the edge of the screen to stop working the obstacles should be found either at the horizontal 1.5cm at the top or at the bottom. Correct? Or could they be along the right edge? Maybe I am confused a bit.

Ok, I am opening it again and examining carefully for any obstacles.

Thank you very much for your patience, Ken. You already did a very good deed of restoring the light to my Aura HD, but if you also manage to fix the IR sensors that would be a miracle indeed
Old 08-24-2013, 02:57 PM   #101
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Device: Cracked HiSenseA5ProCC, Cracked OnyxNotePro, Note5, Kobo Glo, Aura
Quote:
Thank you. So, for the right strip of about 1.5cm from the edge of the screen to stop working the obstacles should be found either at the horizontal 1.5cm at the top or at the bottom. Correct? Or could they be along the right edge? Maybe I am confused a bit.

Ok, I am opening it again and examining carefully for any obstacles.
Success to you Tigran! I sweated for three hours before I got it fixed again.

Last edited by Markismus; 08-24-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Markismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:02 PM   #102
tigran
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markismus View Post
Success to you Tigran! I sweated for three hours before I got it fixed again.
Oh, you mean it is possible to fix??? So I have a chance? That is wonderful news. Then I won't give up until I either fix it or turn this device into dust

Any ideas how you fixed it? Did you notice some obstacles or did you just keep fiddling until those obstacles happened to be out of the way? Please let me know.

UPDATE: I've read your earlier posts now.

Last edited by tigran; 08-24-2013 at 03:11 PM.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:53 PM   #103
tigran
Zealot

Hmmm, I think I fixed it...

Let me test it thoroughly (so far I only tested in Sketch Pad and I can draw on the whole surface of the screen whereas I was not able before to reach that rightmost 1.5cm strip).

As soon as I've tested it (both in koreader and Nickel) I'll reveal the solution. It is going to be amazing...

UPDATE: Yes, it does work in koreader and other places which didn't work before! And the fix is this: REMOVE THE BLACK TAPE! There are no bright light spots on the screen (with light turned on) after removing it, so I don't see what purpose it serves.

Anyway, I am happy now. Thank you very much, Ken!

Last edited by tigran; 08-24-2013 at 06:11 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:44 AM   #104
tigran
Zealot

It has just occurred to me: have I accidentally turned my Kobo Aura HD device into a weapon of mass destruction of eyesight, i.e. perhaps that black tape was covering a strong source of IR radiation and by removing it I am now shooting an IR beam straight into my eyes (through the plastic)?

How would I detect IR radiation? Do you think my skin would be sensitive enough to feel it? Or at that intensity it would have to be so strong that a mere look at it would blind me, even though I won't actually "see" what blinded me, as it is not in the visible octave for humans?

I remember that on green lasers there is a special filter installed for this specific purpose --- to filter out harmful IR radiation. Could this black tape possibly serve a similar purpose in Aura HD? Maybe I should buy one of those IR security cameras and check.

Markismus, I take it you also removed the entire black tape from your device. Assuming you are using this device for reading, did you notice something like going a bit... err.. blind, recently?
Old 08-25-2013, 04:19 AM   #105
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: Kobo Mini, Tolino Epos 2
Boy, that's scary! But there are no "beware of radiation"-stickers inside of the kobo housing, are there?

You can detect IR with the camera preview of your digicam or smartphone! Just try it with an IR remote
uboot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glo, glo memory upgrade mod, hack, increase, kobo, sdcard