Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-05-2016, 04:48 PM   #946
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by encol View Post
i was wondering if it is possible to "replicate" the actions Kubrick does in case a paperwhite is still accessible in diags mode, in order to restore it to the factory state if the backups of the partitions was unavailable
Are you speaking of the PW-3 shown in your info box?
If so -

Then there is no need for backups of the main partition -
Amazon ships a complete image of the main partition in each update_*.bin package.

The second partition IS the diags system, you don't need that if it is what you are running.

The third partition (/var/local) has only replaceable contents, it can be zero'd.

The fourth partition is what you see over USB cable, it can also be zero'd.

With console access to the system while it is running the 'diags' system, then all you need is 'dd' (which is built-in) - -
Same, same as described in the "Original de-bricking" threads (over and over and over).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 05:29 PM   #947
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Kubrick is handy as a plug-and-play utility which is easy to use.
Once you are ssh'ing into the diags partition, you don't really need Kubrick.

Kubrick also contains system images for older devices from before Amazon shipped full system images in their firmware updates.

From the Paperwhite on, you cannot plug-and-play, and you can get system images from the firmware updates... so there is no reason to add Paperwhite firmware images to Kubrick.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2016, 06:41 PM   #948
encol
Evangelist
encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 5.8.5.0.1
Ok, thanks to all, it is clear to me now
encol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 05:18 AM   #949
phasor
phasor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.phasor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.phasor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.phasor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.phasor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.phasor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.phasor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.phasor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.phasor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.phasor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.phasor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Kindle keybord
K3-still nothing

I have tried to debrick K3, made bootable USB, choose Kubrick, it executed something and said error.
There is too many posts so I am not sure if there is some new versions of Kubrick, I tried the first one from the first post.
Any suggestions?
phasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:03 AM   #950
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasor View Post
I have tried to debrick K3, made bootable USB, choose Kubrick, it executed something and said error.
There is too many posts so I am not sure if there is some new versions of Kubrick, I tried the first one from the first post.
Any suggestions?
What you got is what there is.

Please give details of:
"it executed something and said error"
Full, complete, exact, details.
If you have forgotten, do the whole process again, make notes of what you do and what is the result.
Advert
Old 06-10-2016, 02:23 AM   #951
phasor
phasor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.phasor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.phasor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.phasor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.phasor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.phasor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.phasor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.phasor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.phasor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.phasor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.phasor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Kindle keybord
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
What you got is what there is.

Please give details of:
"it executed something and said error"
Full, complete, exact, details.
If you have forgotten, do the whole process again, make notes of what you do and what is the result.
to knc1 - this is an old post. As you saw in "K3 is constantly restarting even after factory reset" the problem was booting from USB. I mange to boot Kubrick from CD, but after unsuccessful debrick I found that my new Kindle battery is also bad. So, I need a new battery before try once again to debrick K3.
phasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 04:45 PM   #952
SuperRed38
SuperRed38 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4NT Black
Unhappy Same problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cholvess View Post
my kindle 4.0 nt got bricked on DIAGS MODE and the screen is frozen. I've tried holding the power button but nothing, the orange light (when conected) goes off after 15 seconds and holding up to 30 seconds and 1min 30 seconds does not help. All i've found wasn't any use. My kindle was fully charged before it got bricked so i dont think the problem is because of low battery. Maybe if there was some way of restoring it to factory settings errasing everything or something. I tried downloading kubrik but it says two days remaining, if anyone had a link on another server...
I have the same problem. I managed to force it off, but now when booting, it goes to a black screen, flashes white, then displays a black screen with warped zig-zag lines.
SuperRed38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 04:49 PM   #953
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperRed38 View Post
I have the same problem. I managed to force it off, but now when booting, it goes to a black screen, flashes white, then displays a black screen with warped zig-zag lines.
Same answer - use Kubrick on it.
Old 06-24-2016, 07:21 PM   #954
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
The "warped zig-zag lines" are the the kindletree screen in diags mode, just before it draws the menu. It uses the screen in a different mode than main (but draws that screen in the wrong mode). Something in init is not happy...

Yes, kubrick will fix this.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:13 AM   #955
kingjohn
kingjohn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Hi!

I have a Kindle Touch which I have jailbreaked ages ago.

(I found those tools on my hard disk that I'v used then: jailbreak_1.1, simple usbnet_1.1, launcher_1.2.1)

I almost never used the usb net.
I only used the screen flip function and I changed some test2speech files, so I have text2speech for english books using the male voice and for german books via female voice.

My Kindle had v5.1.2 running on it.

Now I wanted to do an Update because Amazon stop sync service for this old firmware. And I also want to sync books with my new kindle pw.

So I copied 5.3.2.1 onto the kindle touch and started the update.
But my Kindle only displays this now (only in german):
"please have some patience, while your kindle is booting"

This is all I have on the display since I tried to update. Screen didn't change any more after this.
Kindle is not starting any more.

Windows recognizes a new HID device (the kindle)
But I can't ssh to the device...

I used kubrick to reset my kindle touch. There I manage to get into download mode, but fastboot is not working. It only says failed after a long time.

If I use MFGTool it say success if I switch into any of the 3 modes (diags, main, fastboot)...
But I can't find a new network device and therefore I can't get onto my kindle....

What could I do now?
It would be ok, if at least I could get v5.1.2 back up and running on it....
kingjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:31 AM   #956
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
It sounds like your host PC is Windows (because MfgTool). SSH needs to use the windows networking RNDIS driver. If you see a Kindle device, that is either USB MS (shared USB drive) or the fake (0MB) USB drive used to keep your host PC from powering down the USB port while the kindle is in battery-charging mode (usually a very discharged battery).

Beware that some modes like USB Downloader mode or diags mode may completely discharge your battery. Like always, fully charge your kindle before using these tools to recover it.

It is strange that MfgTool says success -- that has always meant the kindle switched modes, in my experience. Removing the USB cable can drop it out of fastboot mode (on kindles I used) so perhaps you have a flaky USB cable or loose jack on your kindle? To remedy a loose USB jack (on one of my kindles) I tuck the USB cable under it to flex the cable near the jack, forcing in good contact on the pins inside. Switching to a different cable may force USB pin alignment as well (different tolerances).

When windows recognizes your kindle, look in Device Manager at hard drives -- see the size of the kindle device. If 0MB, it is in battery charge mode, and you must charge the battery first.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:23 AM   #957
kingjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
It sounds like your host PC is Windows (because MfgTool). SSH needs to use the windows networking RNDIS driver. If you see a Kindle device, that is either USB MS (shared USB drive) or the fake (0MB) USB drive used to keep your host PC from powering down the USB port while the kindle is in battery-charging mode (usually a very discharged battery).

Beware that some modes like USB Downloader mode or diags mode may completely discharge your battery. Like always, fully charge your kindle before using these tools to recover it.

It is strange that MfgTool says success -- that has always meant the kindle switched modes, in my experience. Removing the USB cable can drop it out of fastboot mode (on kindles I used) so perhaps you have a flaky USB cable or loose jack on your kindle? To remedy a loose USB jack (on one of my kindles) I tuck the USB cable under it to flex the cable near the jack, forcing in good contact on the pins inside. Switching to a different cable may force USB pin alignment as well (different tolerances).

When windows recognizes your kindle, look in Device Manager at hard drives -- see the size of the kindle device. If 0MB, it is in battery charge mode, and you must charge the battery first.
Hi!

First of all thanks for your fast reply!
I am currently recharging right now, just to be sure that battery is ok....

My PC is a Windows Machine, yes.
But KUBRICK also failed.

RNDIS driver I can't install, because windows finds no device that needs them.
I tried this on a second machine now. (also windows 7)
It's the same there. I thought maybe on this other machine (a quite fresh win7 install) it will work. But no.

How will a half bricked kindle show up in the device list? only in the HID section, like on my PC, or also somewhere else?
In hd section there is nothing. setting the kindle to diags mode doesn't change anything...

In Kubrick: entering fastboot doesn't work. I there a way to get some errors
or use the tools manually in a second console in kubrick?
Is there a list of commands I can enter in kubrick, to do all steps manually? This way I would get some responses and errors that would help....

Last edited by kingjohn; 07-06-2016 at 09:50 AM.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:28 AM   #958
kingjohn

in Kubrick:

One I connect the kindle it says "Device is ready" (green line)

on the next screen, it says:
"Waiting for device..." (in red)

don't know, whats the problem here....
isn't everything copied to the kindle on the fly here? But if it's that way, why can my prior modifications prevent the kindle from respond properly?

edit: also used another cable now, to be sure. But no change in behaviour....
cable is not the problem... nor the machine (have a desktop and a notebook now in front of me, both with the same software installed...)

edit2:

Sometimes, when the kindle is not recognized as a HID device
windows detects an unknown device (bad device) :
\Device\USBPDO-14
USB\VID_0000&PID_0000\5&C2EB4F1&0&3

which driver should I use for this?

Last edited by kingjohn; 07-06-2016 at 02:20 PM.
Old 07-07-2016, 03:40 PM   #959
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Hi. Please leave it on the charger for at the very least another 6 hours. I would prefer 48 hours.
Then hold the power button for about 40 seconds until it reboots.
I am sure someone will be along shortly with what to do after that.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:07 PM   #960
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I think ALT+F5 or something will drop you to a shell prompt in Kubrick.

Use `dmesg` to log various high-level messages including detection of USB devices.

Is the Kindle actually being detected?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote