Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-28-2013, 06:37 PM   #16
HeavyStorm
HeavyStorm began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thumbs up Resolved although not quite

People,

A lot of thanks to all of you. I decided yesterday to go with Kindle (I had a deadline, since a friend of mine is travelling in EUA and will bring one for me).

Some of the last posts made me feel like I would be more seduced by the Aura HD after all (some comments over the quality of the light), but in any case I can't really know, right?

I will try and repay the help the community has provided by posting my impressions after I handle the device for a while (I promise!). Maybe some unfortunate guy like myself who just can't make this decision may find my post elucidating.

In any case, if I decide that the screen size or the light is bothering me, I will try to sell my PW2 and buy and Aura HD.
HeavyStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:24 PM   #17
fordman
fordman is a glorious beacon of lightfordman is a glorious beacon of lightfordman is a glorious beacon of lightfordman is a glorious beacon of lightfordman is a glorious beacon of lightfordman is a glorious beacon of lightfordman is a glorious beacon of lightfordman is a glorious beacon of lightfordman is a glorious beacon of lightfordman is a glorious beacon of lightfordman is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Wifi, PW2
I too was trying to decide between the Aura and PW2. Before the PW2 was released I tried out the PW1. I was quite impressed overall but the uneven lighting and greenish blob in the center of the screen had me returning it to the store. When the PW2 was announced I decided to wait for that as I was looking forward to the improvements. When release day came I held off but recently I started looking again. Being a Kobo wifi owner I started leaning towards the Aura. At the store the Aura shined compared to the old glo right next to it especcially since I had the settings the same on both. But the store demo displayed some bright spots on the screen, the text was somewhat blurry as the light was turned up, and Kobos' firmware issues scared me enough to purchase the PW2. Plus if I want to sideload books I still have the ole Kobo wifi. Now I haven't had much time with the PW yet but I already like how the screen looks a little sharper than the Aura. My only concern now is the battery life issue on the PW2 that I am reading a lot about; could have me sending that back to the store.
fordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:42 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordman View Post
My only concern now is the battery life issue on the PW2 that I am reading a lot about; could have me sending that back to the store.
What "battery life issue"?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:34 AM   #19
fordman
fordman is a glorious beacon of lightfordman is a glorious beacon of lightfordman is a glorious beacon of lightfordman is a glorious beacon of lightfordman is a glorious beacon of lightfordman is a glorious beacon of lightfordman is a glorious beacon of lightfordman is a glorious beacon of lightfordman is a glorious beacon of lightfordman is a glorious beacon of lightfordman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What "battery life issue"?
I read several reviews from people on Amazon.com that mentioned they were getting short battery life. A handful of reviews wouldn't have had me concerned but there seemed to be a lot. There was even a thread started here the other day.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=230418
Old 01-03-2014, 09:36 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The people here at MR are, on the whole, an awful lot more knowledgeable about the Kindle than the typical Amazon reviewer. Read the thread you link to and you'll see that the basic problem is simply that the poster doesn't properly understand what it is that Amazon actually do state about the PW2's battery life.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:07 AM   #21
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordman View Post
I read several reviews from people on Amazon.com that mentioned they were getting short battery life. A handful of reviews wouldn't have had me concerned but there seemed to be a lot. There was even a thread started here the other day.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=230418

Reading that other people may be having an issue (regardless of whatever issue is encountered) is not the same as you having an issue.

If you're not having an issue, then I wouldn't even worry about it.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:54 PM   #22
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Reading that other people may be having an issue (regardless of whatever issue is encountered) is not the same as you having an issue.

If you're not having an issue, then I wouldn't even worry about it.
I agree with Dr. Drib--I've had my PW2 for three or four months and haven't had any battery problems. I'm very happy with my KPW2.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:40 AM   #23
fordman

I have now owned my PW2 for two weeks. Bought a book with it right out of the box without charging. (had about 50% charge) 75% into the book and still have 25% battery life left. Thats with wifi off and light at 11. No problems here just that I need to read more often.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:09 AM   #24
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Get a kindle and try it for a couple weeks before deciding. You can't really get a good idea looking at one in a store. Amazon will let you return it if you decide to get the Aura instead. If possible ask around if any of you friends have an Aura they would let you borrow for a couple days. I'm not sure about Kobo's return policy. Better yet get both. Register the Kobo in England then you could buy books that are not available in the US.
You can never have too many ereaders.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:38 PM   #25
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
You shouldn't say things like that on a public forum.

Many of us already DO have too many ereaders, and you are only encouraging us!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:39 PM   #26
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
I seriously suggest heading here: Buying new devices addicts! (support thread), a corollary of the better-known
Ebook Buying Addicts' Support Thread.

eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote