Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-22-2012, 02:21 PM   #16
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetmolm View Post
The question remains: how excellent are the Kindle dictionaries as compared to the PocketBook Touch.
Potential Kindle buyers can easily test the quality of the default monolingual Kindle dictionaries by installing any of the free Kindle apps, which will all download the monolingual dictionaries for all officially supported languages (UK/US English, French, Italian, German, Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese) on demand.

Unfortunately, there's no PocketBook app for PCs or smartphones, which makes it difficult to compare the dictionary functionality.
Since you have a PocketBook, why don't you pick some rare words and look them up both on your PocketBook and with the Kindle app?

Take for example, "palisade," which seems to be missing in some Oxford English dictionaries or "to cotton on," which is also missing in some dictionaries.

(Feel free to test definitions for other languages.)

Last edited by Doitsu; 12-22-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:55 PM   #17
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
@Doitsu: Thanks for the tip. I did not think of that. I'll try to find some time to do some testing.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:14 PM   #18
boogenhagen
wandering bard
boogenhagen began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook 622 touch
I have both and I really like the Pocketbook better - it was easy to load whichever dictionary I preferred plus the organizational and file capacity of the PB is much greater than the kindle. The kindle is good if your a casual reader, want easy access to Amazon and need the light option for night reading. The PB is good if you have a large library (I have 25000 or so ebooks in four languages - French, German, Russian and Spanish) I can carry them and my dictionaries on one PB with and SDcard and I use Calibre when I buy books from all over the place and then load them to my PB.

The Kindle kinda makes other than Amazon bookstores hard to use unless you load via your home pc. The benefits there are that you can get a new book at any time and I usually wind up giving it to my husband when he wants something new to read as he is a much more casual reader than I am.

As far as the dictionaries, I like the Amazon ones but I was able to load my preferred Collins, Oxford, and Larousse dictionaries with no problems and easy usage while reading.
boogenhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:06 PM   #19
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Once again, I have no doubt that the quality of the Kindle dictionaries is excellent, so there is no need for all of you to keep repeating that. The question remains: how excellent are the Kindle dictionaries as compared to the PocketBook Touch. We can keep on saying to each other that 'my reader is the best', but as long as no one has made the comparison, that does not help a lot.

The ease with which you can create dictionaries is not a reason to vote for the Kindle, because it's also easy to create dictionaries for the PocketBook. There again: unless someone does a comparison we dont know which one is easier.

All I'm reading here is opinions, not facts based on comparison. Is there really no one here who has access to both the Kindle Paperwhite and the PocketBook Touch, and can tell us about how the dictionary functions compare?

In my first two posts , I went over much more than just dictionaries. Could you maybe address some of the other features and advantages that I listed and let us know what the Pocketbook has to offer in that respect?
Also, this is not a Pocketbook vs. Kindle competition; there are many more eink readers out there. I already told you that I have never even seen a Pocketbook in real life, and, indeed, the OP was asking for our opinion about the best reader for his requirements.

Have you purchased and read foreign content on the Pocketbook? Do the RAE and Oxford come with the Pocketbook? Can you use multiple dictionaries at the same time without changing the settings? Is theree any other eink reader out there that has the above features?

The Kindle PW has a higher screen resolution, frontlit technology, and costs EURO 10 less than the Pocketbook Touch in France. Is there anything that in your mind, then, justifies the higher price?

Lastly, there is no need to compare to see which dictionary is best, as there are already established dictionaries for the languages in question here. The RAE dictionary is the dictionary to use for the Spanish language, along with the VOX, as is the Oxford dictionary, along with Collins.

From Wikipedia:
Quote:
The Royal Spanish Academy (Spanish: Real Academia Española, RAE) is the official royal institution responsible for regulating the Spanish language.
Quote:
The Oxford English Dictionary (OED), published by the Oxford University Press, is the self-styled premier dictionary of the English language

Last edited by xendula; 12-22-2012 at 06:19 PM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:41 AM   #20
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Xendula: no, this is not supposed to be a PocketBook vs. Kindle competition, but the OP asked about the PocketBook Touch and you introduced the Kindle into the discussion. Then I asked for a comparison.

As to foreign contents: especially for European languages, epub is the standard format, and Adobe DRM the most frequently used form of DRM. That is supported by PocketBook, not by Kindle. An exception is Russia, where fb2 is a de facto standard. Supported by PocketBook, not by Kindle. Most if not all libraries offer books with Adobe DRM.

The availability of free content can never be an argument in favor of any ereader. There is lots of free content both for the Kindle and for other readers. Mostly these are the same titles, and anyway, it does not matter, because these unprotected books are very easy to convert.

On the PocketBook, you can go to the settings to specify which of the installed dictionaries you want to have active, and then, when looking up a word from your text you can easily (two taps is what it takes) switch between these active dictionaries.

The Kindle may have some impressive dictionary titles, but the quality of a dictionary on an ereader is not determined by its title. (BTW, the OED you refer to in a quote is not the dictionary that is installed on your Kindle.) A dictionary on an ereader could for instance have only a subsection of the words of the original, or it might not be able to handle inflected/conjugated forms properly (in that respect the dictionaries on Onyx readers are very disappointing). That is why I asked for a real comparison. PocketBook comes with some 20 bilingual ABBYY Lingvo dictionaries, and many aditional dictionaries can be bought or downloaded for free, including Oxford and Collins dictionaries. Once again, I don't know how they compare in practice with the Kindle dictionaries.

One of the reasons I bought a PocketBook is exactly the support it gives for foreign content, in particular Russian content.

The Kindle PW does have some more advanced hardware features, as you mention, but the firmware of the PocketBook has many, many features that help me to display the books in the best possible way (isn't that what an ereader is all about?), and that are relevant to me. I can install any number of fonts, use any font size, have a large library on my reader without the danger of slowing down things, etc. PocketBook offers text-to-speech in several dozens of languages (great tool for language learning!). And as far as I know PocketBook is the only brand that supports multitasking (but correct me if I'm wrong). I can have several books open at the same time, and it takes only two taps to switch between them (or any other app I have open at the time). For me, the advanced software features justify the somewhat higher price.

Last edited by Zetmolm; 12-23-2012 at 12:44 AM.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:45 AM   #21
Zetmolm
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogenhagen View Post
I have both and I really like the Pocketbook better - it was easy to load whichever dictionary I preferred plus the organizational and file capacity of the PB is much greater than the kindle. The kindle is good if your a casual reader, want easy access to Amazon and need the light option for night reading. The PB is good if you have a large library (I have 25000 or so ebooks in four languages - French, German, Russian and Spanish) I can carry them and my dictionaries on one PB with and SDcard and I use Calibre when I buy books from all over the place and then load them to my PB.

The Kindle kinda makes other than Amazon bookstores hard to use unless you load via your home pc. The benefits there are that you can get a new book at any time and I usually wind up giving it to my husband when he wants something new to read as he is a much more casual reader than I am.

As far as the dictionaries, I like the Amazon ones but I was able to load my preferred Collins, Oxford, and Larousse dictionaries with no problems and easy usage while reading.
Thanks for your information. It seems you are the only person in the world who has both a Kindle Paperwhite and a PocketBook Touch
Old 12-23-2012, 12:52 PM   #22
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@Xendula: no, this is not supposed to be a PocketBook vs. Kindle competition, but the OP asked about the PocketBook Touch and you introduced the Kindle into the discussion.
That was in reponse to his/her request for advice for the best ereader for his/her requirements!

I am actually suprised that no Kobo users have come forward, since Kobo offer content in a mulitude of languages.

Text to speech support in different languages is indeed a plus if it supports Spanish and English, which it probably does, and it sounds like there may be more font options on the Pocketbook.

I stand by my recommendation, however, because of the ease of use to purchase foreign content even from the device itself, the dictionaries, and also because of the larger screen resolution, frontlit screen and user interface (jumping between books is equally only two clicks away (home, open book) and instantaneous.

ePub with Adobe DRM is indeed the standard in Germany as well, yet Amazon has the largest selection of bestseller ebooks in German. This may or may not be the case with Spanish content, and as to English content, it does not seem to make a difference. Spanish and English are the language requirements of the OP.

There is really no need to argue with me over my opinion. Everyone is entitled to their own, and, the way I see it, the OP just got two recommendations. Let's hope we'll hear from users of other readers as well.

Last edited by xendula; 12-23-2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:12 PM   #23
xendula
eBookworm

BTW, I read for a few hours every day, so I do not consider myself a casual reader at all. I like to keep my content in the cloud, and only keep on my reader the next books on my to be read list, since I can access my cloud library from my device any time, and put it on my reader with the tap of a finger.

Also, since I borrow about 75% of my reading content from libraries (I have 5 library cards now), as soon as I am finished with a book, I return it and remove it from my library.

After reading Boogenhagen's post I'd like to add that Amazon does not offer an easy way to organize large libraries - at all. You need to use Calibre for that, or you have to select the titles one by one.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:51 PM   #24
Zetmolm
Guru

Thanks, xendula, for all your information about the Kindle PW. I guess we can agree that both the Kindle and the PocketBook Touch are excellent choices. Both of them have their strong points, and in the end it all depends on personal needs (e.g. keeping my content in the cloud would never work for me) and personal preferences.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:51 AM   #25
yro
yro began at the beginning.

Device: PB 622
My personnal needs sounds to fit with the Pocket book. Thanks a lot boogenhagen to have a kindle & a PB . I guess you also have an Oxford dictionary upon your PB. Thanks Zermolm to open the discussion for my own requirements. And thanks Xendula to learn me a bit more about "dictionnaries features". But "can't I have the same dictionnaries upon Kindle & PB ?
I don't see why ? Free dics for one device and not for others because you are linked with Amazon or is it a compatible issue between dics and ereader equipment ?
Iis it just a "payable" issue, free Oxford dic. with the Kindle and not for the PB for instance?
May I access (with the Kindle) inside the text with 2 short taps to the dic entry for the word I want to understand ? 3 seconds like the PB ?
For the PB it sounds you have to choose the dic. in your base before reading. The same with the Kindle ?
For the cloud process Xendula, I can do that with my PC and my provider. With a wifi connexion, what could be the issue with any wifi ereader ?
Thanks a lot for your contributions.
yro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:53 PM   #26
yro

Correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by yro View Post
My personnal needs sounds to fit with the Pocket book. Thanks a lot boogenhagen to have a kindle & a PB . I guess you also have an Oxford dictionary upon your PB. Thanks Zermolm to open the discussion for my own requirements. And thanks Xendula to learn me a bit more about "dictionnaries features". But "can't I have the same dictionnaries upon Kindle & PB ?
I don't see why ? Free dics for one device and not for others because you are linked with Amazon or is it a compatible issue between dics and ereader equipment ?
Iis it just a "payable" issue, free Oxford dic. with the Kindle and not for the PB for instance?
May I access (with the Kindle) inside the text with 2 short taps to the dic entry for the word I want to understand ? 3 seconds like the PB ?
For the PB it sounds you have to choose the dic. in your base before reading. The same with the Kindle ?
For the cloud process Xendula, I can do that with my PC and my provider. With a wifi connexion, what could be the issue with any wifi ereader ?
The PB Text to speech is a very useful + for my use and looking at ebook sellers in France epub format sounds to be very used. No issue about my quoted questions (you gave me the answers in different posts) except may be the clouding one. I guess that with the PB I'm able to upload the ebook to the PC disk and if so I can upload it in my private provider cloud ??? No ? Maybe more difficult with the PB than the Kindle but it's not a frequent operation ?
For dictionnary qualities between ereaders I feel it like the subject of a real benchmark. With the PB I can have english, french and spanish dics with right translators. Enough to start !!!
Thanks a lot.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:01 PM   #27
yro

Correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by yro View Post
The PB Text to speech is a very useful + for my use and looking at ebook sellers in France epub format sounds to be very used. No issue about my quoted questions (you gave me the answers in different posts) except may be the clouding one. I guess that with the PB I'm able to upload the ebook to the PC disk and if so I can upload it in my private provider cloud ??? No ? Maybe more difficult with the PB than the Kindle but it's not a frequent operation ?
For dictionnary qualities between ereaders I feel it like the subject of a real benchmark. With the PB I can have english, french and spanish dics with right translators. Enough to start !!!
Thanks a lot.