Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: How do you now feel about your Sony Reader?
Love it even more than when I bought it! 48 44.86%
Just as great as the day I got it! 33 30.84%
Like it and I use it a lot! 17 15.89%
It's nice, but I don't use it much anymore 5 4.67%
Stupid device. I wish I'd never bought it. 4 3.74%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-17-2007, 02:09 PM   #31
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle Woman
Yup, love it more every day. At first it felt like I wasn't really reading a book so I had a little of that "nothing can match the feel of a real book" syndrome. But now that I have my leather cover and I'm used to reading on The Reader, I'm entirely converted. Instead of having a whole pile of books on my nightstand I have one slim volume. ...
Kinda like a break-in period for a new to you car or a courtship.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 02:53 PM   #32
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
This device operates a complete change in ones life. The discovery of it's intricacies has a long learning curve, considering we have the knowledge base of the MR blogosphere. It's a joy to learn.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2007, 06:27 PM   #33
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
Quote:
But now that I have my leather cover....
Is that the one that was mentioned here?

If so, how do you like it? I was thinking about one but it looked a little bulky....
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 06:52 PM   #34
randyman
Enthusiast
randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Now, iPad!
*I LOVE it!* I am totally addicted to the little gizmo.

I feel an immense sense of frustration and guilt when I find myself having to buy a text-only book in "dead tree format" because it's not available as an ebook. It no longer makes any sense to me, and I'm out of shelf space as it is.
randyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 07:03 PM   #35
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Yesterday I forgot to bring my Reader home from work. This is a 3 day weekend for me. Today, in desperation I actually went into a pbook store and came out frustrated because that was NOT what I wanted. Looking forward to Tuesday.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2007, 07:17 PM   #36
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS500, Looking at 700
Can you not break into your office building and grab your reader?
ultim8fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 11:19 AM   #37
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda
Yesterday I forgot to bring my Reader home from work. This is a 3 day weekend for me. Today, in desperation I actually went into a pbook store and came out frustrated because that was NOT what I wanted. Looking forward to Tuesday.
Good enough reason to own two! I wonder if you can sinc. them?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 12:50 PM   #38
Jimster
Jimster began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Unfortunately I'm not as enthusiastic about my Reader as everyone else. I've had mine since November and it worked great in the beginning. After awhile the battery started to drain quickly and I wasn't really doing any heavy reading. Now I have to reset it because it won't boot up. All of this wouldn't have bothered me so much if it wasn't so expensive. ($350) Anyway, that's my sob story.

Last edited by Jimster; 02-18-2007 at 12:58 PM.
Jimster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 01:05 PM   #39
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
I have found my Reader to fulfil the exact purpose I was looking it to fulfil. I had done so much research on reviews and looked at it for a while, and so far it has done exactly as I have wanted it. I love it today just as much as the day I bought it. I do however agree with Randyman as far as the books I want that are not available. I can't wait til Connect announces one day significantly more books available than the 10-20 a week they have added.

Randyman, how have you been liking that Pouch you discussed in another thread? I'm considering ordering one.

Jimster, have you completely drained and recharged the battery? Sometimes a full cycle fixes that problem, if not contact Sony about a defective battery.
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 01:28 PM   #40
Jimster

DougFNJ, I believe I completely drained the battery at one time to the point it didn't turn on anymore. I then recharged it with the AC adapter but it stills drains pretty fast. I'll keep trying your suggestion. Thanks. I hope I don't have a defective battery.
Old 02-18-2007, 02:30 PM   #41
NickMilner
NickMilner began at the beginning.

I can say with all honesty that I love it now more than when I bought it. Too many times in the past have I sucumbed to gear-lust only to be disappointed but I'm glad to say my experience with the Reader was different. It is as good as a book, in fact better because I can read it one handed while lying on my side in bed (it's comfy that way ).

My only concern is whether all the books I like to read will be made available on the Sony Reader store.
NickMilner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 04:56 PM   #42
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
I have had mine just before Christmas and I love it. What's a paperback book?
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 05:28 PM   #43
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimster
I hope I don't have a defective battery.
At the risk of asking a dumb question: you have double-checked that you're not running the MP3 player in the background, haven't you? That can account for an overly rapid battery drain.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 06:32 PM   #44
Jimster

I'll be following DougFNJ's suggestion and I just updated the firmware today so we'll see what happens. That's a good point and not a dumb question NatCh. There are no MP3s on my Reader because I think it has limited functionality for MP3 playback. Thanks for the response.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:46 PM   #45
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilbeginnings
... What's a paperback book?
As I remember, and please correct me if I'm wrong, a paperback book is a collection of Sony Readers held together with "glue" that have thin flexible pages that already have the eink displayed on both sides. They use a very strong form of DRM called "Printer's Ink" that keeps the eink from reforming to other books.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote