Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-17-2009, 10:49 AM   #1
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Russian books: 2 probs (Pgs msg and Lib3.0)

OK, so I tried to get the gist of this post in the title and keep it short as well!

Yesterday I downloaded several Russian books in fb2 format, and converted them to lrf using the old fb2lrf program. (It always worked before.) I came up with 2 problems:

1) The converted books would not display properly on the new Sony Library software (v3). I vaguely remember dropping a folder with some fonts into a Sony Connect folder way back when, but could not find this info here after some searching. Can anyone tell me how to get the new Library software to display Russian books properly? (fonts are not embedded afaik--just converted from fb2 to lrf.)

2) More importantly, when loading the books onto my old 500 Reader, it turns out that every second page is missing. I doubt the source fb2 files are messed up. So, is the conversion bad, or is there something wrong with the Sony Library software when loading the converted files onto the 500? (This has worked fine in the past, but I haven't done it in a while, definitely not since upgrading the Sony software to Library 3.0.)

I believe I'm using the fb2lrf version 0.0.16.something. Is there a newer/better version to use? I like this simple program for its basic drag-and-drop interface, works even with folders containing fb2 files. And it always worked fine before.

Any help would be great. (gf is now out of town with a bunch of half/un-readable books on the 500, but I'd like to fix this ASAP.)
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 02:21 PM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
1. The fonts used on the Reader and in EBL must match; or
2. Do not use EBL to copy books, just copy them with Explorer
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2009, 04:04 PM   #3
torbich
Zealot
torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PocketBook 602, LBook V3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
Can anyone tell me how to get the new Library software to display Russian books properly? (fonts are not embedded afaik--just converted from fb2 to lrf.)
I suppose you can read russian. So please look here:
http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewt...=278824#278824
and the whole thread:
http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7155
torbich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 05:03 PM   #4
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by torbich View Post
I suppose you can read russian. So please look here:
http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewt...=278824#278824
and the whole thread:
http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7155
Alas, I can't! Which is why I also couldn't tell that every other page didn't load for some reason. (Actually, I'm not sure if the converted files themselves are OK on my PC, because Library won't even display them properly.)

How would I get the fonts to match? I 'russified' my 500 a couple of years ago (using a utility from the the-ebook.org site), but I don't remember what fonts I added to the Connect folder way back when.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:05 AM   #5
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
How would I get the fonts to match? I 'russified' my 500 a couple of years ago (using a utility from the the-ebook.org site), but I don't remember what fonts I added to the Connect folder way back when.
As igorsk said fonts must match on the reader and eBook Library.
When you updated your eBook Library most likely it rewrote some files and you have to "russify" the s/w again.
You have to visit the-ebook.org and find out what files you need. Most likely a file named: kconfig.xml was changed during the update and must be re-written with the proper "rissified" version and the fonts must match.
I don't have s/w v3 myself so I don't know all the details.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2009, 10:09 AM   #6
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Why don't you try the second way that igorsk suggested? I mean just drag&drop the books? I didn't even know it would work, until now.

P.S. Hmm. Does drag&drop work on 500? or there is a difference between drag&drop and copying in windows explorer?
Old 10-19-2009, 12:07 AM   #7
DrMoze
Booknut

I'll try the drag-n-drop transfer instead of using Library. (The 500 is out of town right now...) I'm also trying to figure out what kconfig or other file I need to add, and where. I vaguely recall that it was a simple matter of dropping one or two fiules into a folder in the old Sony Connect program folder. But I forget the details, and haven't been able to dig them up. Thx.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:17 AM   #8
astra
The Introvert

When 500 is back to town, go together to the the-ebook.org, explain to 500 what you need and I am sure that both of you will find the latest files and the instructions of how to use them.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:35 PM   #9
DrMoze
Booknut

Yeah, I definitely need a (personal) translator! I have tried the online webpage translators, and a few bits make sense until I hit the important stuff, at which point it invariably becomes gibberish.

Update: I plugged in the 500, but no folder or removable drive shows up, so I can't seem to add books directly. Can you drag-n-drop books onto the 500? If so, how do you get the 500 to show up as a removable drive etc.? Thx.

Last edited by DrMoze; 10-20-2009 at 11:36 PM.