Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-13-2015, 01:58 PM   #1
montanayank
montanayank began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Disapearing CSS

Me Sigil documents keep reverting back to a default stylesheet even though I have linked them to a specific one. This sometimes seems to happen when I add an image file, but it also happens randomly, and I have to reinstall a CSS each time.
montanayank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 02:05 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Please clarify which condition gets 'lost':

1) You have replaced the default startup sheet with your own
2) You link a stylesheet to the current document and it becomes unlinked
3) You ADD a stylesheet and link it to all (selected) pages
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2015, 09:12 AM   #3
montanayank
montanayank began at the beginning.

Disappearing CSS

"Please clarify which condition gets 'lost':

1) You have replaced the default startup sheet with your own
2) You link a stylesheet to the current document and it becomes unlinked
3) You ADD a stylesheet and link it to all (selected) pages
"

Reply:
Actually all 3 options apply.
montanayank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:35 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Are you sure you're not getting confused between the source material you started with and the epub Sigil turns them into?

i.e. importing html/css and making changes to them in Sigil thinking you're editing those original files?

Or possibly opening epubs from the Recently Opened list and accidentally getting a previously saved version?

I've never heard any other reports of anything like this happening before.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-20-2015 at 09:53 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 01:18 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Please detail exactly when, what and how you were doing things.

I have been using Sigil since V2. I Never lost a CSS or file if Sigile did not crash.
I can't say the same for bad user input , which was NOT caused by Sigil
Advert
Old 03-20-2015, 05:25 PM   #6
pete6055
Connoisseur
pete6055 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Actually, I reported "lost css" too, starting after version 6.2. I believe issue #1986 was opened at that time and has never been resolved.

Anyway, the problem seems to happen most often when I import and link stylesheets and then make any change in the metadata editor. Upon exiting the epub, the stylesheets blank out (remain in folder but have no entries).

I've reduced the incidents by linking stylesheets last in my workflow. In any event, I can open the epub as a zip file and drag and drop the missing stylesheets without a problem; they rarely go missing again after the change has been saved.

Strange...but it does happen.
pete6055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 06:53 PM   #7
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi,
Which version of Sigil are you using? Is it repeatable or random? Can you provide a sample document and walk me through the steps to recreate this?

KevinH
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:07 PM   #8
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
I too have been dealing with this issue for awhile...I THINK I have a workaround....When I import a style sheet I go in and make a simple change to the sheet (add a space somewhere) then save.

I THINK this small change forces Sigil to recognize the file ...and remember it.

Any way...I haven't had an issue since I started doing this. I'm running 8.4 but it has been happening for a long time 6.2-ish??
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 05:13 AM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

We dont need "workarounds." We need step by step instructions to reproduce the bug, so that it can be fixed. If you haven't had an issue since you started using the workaround, how can you be sure the issue still exists?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-21-2015 at 07:06 AM.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:05 AM   #10
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I had error messages from Flight Crew on my most recent epub. When I work with WordStar, my files are always capitalized, so my style sheet was EPUB.CSS. It worked just fine, but I got two errors when validating (present but not reachable, reachable but not present; I don't remember the details). I changed every instance of EPUB.CSS to epub.css and the warnings went away.

(But of course it was never lost!)
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 07:10 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
I had error messages from Flight Crew on my most recent epub. When I work with WordStar, my files are always capitalized, so my style sheet was EPUB.CSS. It worked just fine, but I got two errors when validating (present but not reachable, reachable but not present; I don't remember the details). I changed every instance of EPUB.CSS to epub.css and the warnings went away.

(But of course it was never lost!)
Don't just use FlightCrew to validate. It misses way too much. You also should use epubcheck if you want to catch more possible errors.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 08:50 AM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Disappearing CSS.
Please try to focus on the issue originally being discussed and backed up by a few others. Personal preference in validators and going off on other tangents is neither helpful nor relevant in tracking the problem down.
Old 03-21-2015, 04:00 PM   #13
pete6055
Connoisseur
pete6055 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Hi,
Which version of Sigil are you using? Is it repeatable or random? Can you provide a sample document and walk me through the steps to recreate this?

KevinH
Hi Kevin,
I am using 8.4 and the problem appears to be random, but I'll bet you that there is more than one assignable cause.

The problem happens most often when:
I import a new stylesheet for an epub that already has a stylesheet associated with it; the name of the new stylesheet does not seem to make a difference. If I'm starting an epub from scratch, I am less likely to run into the problem.Saving the new stylesheet, even with an extra space or null class, does not always solve the problem either.Lost css almost always occurs if you link the new stylesheet first and subsequently make a change in the metadata editor, though the css won't "blank" until exit.

I originally thought the bug was related to how the exit conditions were set, though not necessarily how those conditions impact content.opf *, but changing the clean source settings didn't have a noticeable impact over time. I tested different settings for about 2 weeks, and finally went back to clean on open and save, using html tiddy.

The single best indicator that my css will blank is how Sigil behaves when I link a stylesheet. The problem will always occur if Sigil visibly jumps from file to file when linking is executed, but almost never occurs when the html files are read as a block. It gets even stranger when one looks at the individual links after "file jumping", because they are written correctly, yet on exit from Sigil the stylesheets "blank".

I'll send you a sample the next time the problem happens, but video of a workflow would probably be better.

Thanks,

Pete
---
* If it were a problem with how the opf was written, simply dragging, dropping, and saving new copies of the sylesheets using Winzip would not correct the problem.
pete6055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 05:10 PM   #14
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
We dont need "workarounds." We need step by step instructions to reproduce the bug, so that it can be fixed. If you haven't had an issue since you started using the workaround, how can you be sure the issue still exists?
I admit I'm gobsmacked. I don't think I've ever seen this behavior. I wonder what the difference is? I mean, what specific action is being done that causes this to occur (or, what action isn't being done, or...?)?

To those with this: are all of you opening a BLANK file (ePUB) in Sigil first? Then adding HTML files, then adding a SS? Or...? What's your SEQUENCE of file creation, if I may ask? (I'm asking because I honestly don't think I remember a stylesheet being auto-created for me, in a looooong while, so I'm trying to think of methodologies). I mean, here, we usually have a) cleaned HTML files, and b) stylesheets that are house styles, with default settings, that are then modded for the specific book as needed. Both are added to Sigil. I don't recall ever seeing the styles "blanked" (does this mean, literally, that the stylesheet disappears from the ePUB?).

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 06:46 PM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats

I have never seen this

I have added a Blank CSS.
Then copied an inline (same book) CSS CODE into the new CSS,
Then Linked the CSS to the file.
Then used the original source Includeing the <style> to S&R (normal) to remove all.
Saved just fine (later edit)

I have seen a couple of mentions of F8 Metadata edit.
That is one step I have not used in this type of CSS situation

Tags
css changes