Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-03-2010, 05:59 PM   #1
SunLight
Connoisseur
SunLight began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quality Inexpensive Kindle 3 Protective Case

Can anyone recommend a quality inexpensive (10-25) Kindle 3 protective case?

I rather not pay 35+ for a case,

Looking for one that will protect the Kindle 3 if it hits the floor i.e. absorbs the fall - shock absorption and is light

Thanks

Last edited by SunLight; 10-03-2010 at 06:09 PM.
SunLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:37 PM   #2
jphphotography
Zealot
jphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud of

Device: Kindle 3 6" 3G + wifi, Sony PRS-300, iTouch 4G, Galaxy S Vibrant
I ordered this one for $16.99 when my Kindle first arrived, the case is still in the mail but should be here this week. Once I get it I'll let you know how it is.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...E:L:OU:CA:1123
jphphotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2010, 07:26 PM   #3
ski_power
Book eater
ski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3 G 3G (<-lol)
Please do!
I'm equally eager to purchase that very same case, but I have 2 issues in mind.
1. It's from Hong Kong. It'll take a long time to ship.
2. Its the non-hinged version. I don't know if it would accidently slip or something like that. Somehow in my mind the hinge feels more secure.
ski_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:39 PM   #4
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
Item is shipped from China, I noticed.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:39 PM   #5
jphphotography
Zealot
jphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud of

@ski_power
By hinged do you mean making use of the two little slits on the left edge of the Kindle?

@mscoach
Yes the item appears to ship from China. I order quite a lot of stuff from China and for the most part have had great experiences. I get a lot of stuff from www.dealextreme.com sure the shipping takes a little while, but its free. If its something I need ASAP I'll get it from somewhere a little closer. For the time being I just made up a simple case and its good enough until I get the one I ordered.

Last edited by jphphotography; 10-03-2010 at 07:42 PM. Reason: adding reply to mscoach
Advert
Old 10-03-2010, 07:46 PM   #6
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
Sorry, I was quick reading and thought ski was from Hong Kong, so the shipping from China might make it better for them. Considering they are from North Carolina, such is not the case. That'll teach me to not read more carefully.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:48 PM   #7
ski_power
Book eater
ski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it is

@jphphotography:
Yes. The 2 slots on the left side of the kindle.

@mrscoach:

"That'll teach me to not read more carefully." And write carefully as well
Old 10-03-2010, 08:03 PM   #8
mochi
mochi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
OP, I highly highly recommend purchasing this case. It is not as fancy as the other ones but it is high quality and very good for its price.

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Neopren...6150545&sr=8-1

It is technically for the Kindle 2 but I have been using it for my Kindle 3 for the past week and it fits perfectly. If you have Amazon Prime the final cost comes out to a bit under $11.00.
mochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:31 PM   #9
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
I (almost) concur with mochi. There's a different version of the Belkin case on sale at Target (Westminster, CO) for $14.95. It has an outside pocket where I plant to insert a piece of hard plastic to protect the screen even more.
This is the link to the K3 version:
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Pleated...6159322&sr=8-4
The one on sale is designed for the K2.
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:54 AM   #10
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I'm trying to find something like this for the k3

http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Crysta...6199623&sr=8-1

A tight fitting semi rigid plastic shell that protects the back and sides, adds some heft to the device, and some grip. The holes are cut precisely so no problem using any connections.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:35 AM   #11
jruschme
jruschme began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle WiFi
I'm currently using the same Belkin case as Mochi. (My wife originally purchased it for her K2, but decided to go with the Amazon cover, instead.) I con't complain, though I think I'd like to find something like the one jphphotography bought (i.e., more like a conventional book cover).

My only concern with the Chinese covers would be stretching of the elastic in the corners. I'm actually looking at a couple of ones that have a full surround around the keyboard. I'm thinking that that might be a bit more secure.
jruschme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:26 AM   #12
Cindee
Cindee began at the beginning.

Device: none
My following post should help you, I got my cover for less than USD10 in HK the other day ...

http://www.kindleboards.com/index.ph...c,38436.0.html
Cindee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:39 AM   #13
chris2x
chris2x began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch + Kindle software, Kindle Wifi+3G
i found a capdase 7" GPS case that fits the kindle very well - seems to provide sufficient protection for me.
chris2x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:03 PM   #14
jphphotography
Zealot

Just got the case that I mentioned earlier, I like it!

The cover is rigid so it'll protect the kindle screen.
The straps that secure the kindle are elastic and hold the kindle firmly, not worried about it falling out.

I've attached a photo with a few different views. For what I needed it's great. If you have any questions about it that I didn't cover please ask.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle case.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	817.3 KB
ID:	59461  
Old 10-06-2010, 05:12 PM   #15
ski_power
Book eater

I dont see any elastic bands (atleast in the bottom 2 corners). Is it on the top right corner?
If it isn't too much to ask can you try a light shake test (preferably over a bed!) and let me know.