Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-04-2010, 01:08 AM   #1
FrankKau
FrankKau began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Firmware Link?

I signed up for that email thing that's supposed to send you a link to the new firmware. The result (after I played along with the application for the priviledge of downloading this) was two return emails...one confirmation and another to tell me that they "will be" sending me a link in 24-48 hours. Why not just have a download link or mirrors like 99.99999% of any patches or updates I've ever seen. Are they making it seem like this is some sort of beta patch that they are afraid will be so buggy that they don't want too many people to have it yet? Maybe I'm just not cool enough. Can anyone provide a link so I don't have to wait another day or two for a patch that's already later than they said it would be....
FrankKau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 01:14 AM   #2
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Copy/paste from facebook forum....not a tech person here so you are on your own with this.

PC users: http://download.kobobooks.com/desktop/58/KoboSetup.exe

MAC users: http://download.kobobooks.com/desktop/58/KoboSetup.dmg
on Friday · Report
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 01:19 AM   #3
fred_yu_job
Connoisseur
fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: kobo
I noticed that the koboSetup.exe is not the same size as the one I downloaded yesterday!
now it's 19,670BK, and yesterday it's 22,144KB.
why?
fred_yu_job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 01:28 AM   #4
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred_yu_job View Post
I noticed that the koboSetup.exe is not the same size as the one I downloaded yesterday!
now it's 19,670BK, and yesterday it's 22,144KB.
why?
What time did you download it yesterday? We made some small changes to allow forcing an upgrade and put up a new version late last night. THat's probably why you are seeing the difference.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 06:48 AM   #5
EtherealWinter
The Omega and Alpha
EtherealWinter began at the beginning.

The email was for the quick adopters, not a main scale release, correct if if I'm wrong.
EtherealWinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 08:02 AM   #6
fred_yu_job
Connoisseur
fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
What time did you download it yesterday? We made some small changes to allow forcing an upgrade and put up a new version late last night. THat's probably why you are seeing the difference.
it was at 21:00PM (Toronto).
Old 07-04-2010, 01:13 PM   #7
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred_yu_job View Post
it was at 21:00PM (Toronto).
Ok, we published the new version after that, so that would explain the difference.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 02:36 PM   #8
RedRoverJ
Zealot
RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

If I updated prior to the newest version, is there any reason to grab the newer one? Or were the changes just to deal with installation issues for folks who were having troubles? Thanks.
RedRoverJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 05:02 PM   #9
fred_yu_job
Connoisseur

after upgrade, I installed the newer version of the desktop app.
done the sync, nothing wrong, nothing new...
Old 07-04-2010, 07:43 PM   #10
FrankKau
FrankKau began at the beginning.

This link and installation seemed to work fine on pc laptop running xp. The only slight unexpected curve was when xp prompted to look for unknown usb drivers, which it found when I clicked ok. The installation software probably should warn that this will happen just in case technophobes get nervous at that point and click cancel (in which case the software will never find the device). I still haven't gotten the real email after two days, though the day is young...It probably won't make a difference based on above comments.

Anyway thanks for the link. The update should be worth it for the font size fix alone. I was getting bored of fixing every broken epub I came across.
FrankKau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:20 AM   #11
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
Where can I find instructions for installing the upgrade?
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:39 AM   #12
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieknits View Post
On the screen when you run it.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:06 PM   #13
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRoverJ View Post
If I updated prior to the newest version, is there any reason to grab the newer one? Or were the changes just to deal with installation issues for folks who were having troubles? Thanks.
Just to help people with problems - if your upgrade worked, you don't need it.
JCKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:07 PM   #14
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieknits View Post
Plug in your Kobo with the Desktop software running and it will run the upgrade wizard.
JCKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:29 PM   #15
Gadget Guy
Enthusiast
Gadget Guy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
Do I need to do anything to trigger the upgrade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCKobo View Post
Plug in your Kobo with the Desktop software running and it will run the upgrade wizard.
I have plugged my Kobo in many times over the past few days and it does not seem to have upgraded. Is there a site with step-by-step instructions?

Thanks!

GG
Gadget Guy is offline   Reply With Quote