Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 05-12-2006, 02:47 AM   #1
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

Device: iLiad, Palm T3
another one from Germany

I am reading eBooks on my Palm T3. I limit myself to ebooks without DRM and i prefer SF so i am a Baen barfly now. My preferred reader is Mobipocket.
The iLiad looks promising so i think about buying it later this year.

I am also a Delphi programmer and i curently work on a free program to generate eBooks in different formats. This stemmed from my interest in extracting the content of Mobipocket books and from someone asking me to control litgen.dll from Delphi.

The current state of affairs is that i can generate LIT files through control of litgen.dll from Microsoft, .mobi books through control of the new mobigen.exe from Mobipocket, .prc (old style) Mobipocket ebooks through my own code.
I currently work on integrating Rocketbook through rbmake from http://rbmake.sf.net

Several other formats are in the make also. Simple .doc and .rtf by letting Word convert it for example. .chm (Windows help file) is another interesting format.

For now the program can only interpret an OPF file and generate the eBook from it. All the useful tools required like editing, cleaning HTML, pushing simple text to HTML, creating an OPF file in the first place are still missing.
Robert Marquard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 03:27 AM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Welcome on board, Robert! With our increasing German readership it makes me think of adding a German-only section for those who are interested in e-books but not comfortable with the English language.

Your project sounds very ambitious! If you can keep us updated, we'd be more than happy!

Just be careful in regard to Mobipocket: I remember when ubook added support for .mobi books, at least one person from Mobipocket, who frequently visits this forum, wasn't very amused.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 05:14 AM   #3
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic
Your project sounds very ambitious! If you can keep us updated, we'd be more than happy!
It is not that hard to implement. It is only a big project. It will therefore take some time. Especially bcause i implement it in my free time i do not have.
Quote:
Just be careful in regard to Mobipocket: I remember when ubook added support for .mobi books, at least one person from Mobipocket, who frequently visits this forum, wasn't very amused.
Mobipocket has opened up considerably. mobigen.exe is available for download from the Mobipocket website free of charge and without any license attached.
In their forum i have already got some interesting tidbits of information.
I have also an email statement that they have no legal problem with my code to generate Mobipocket books on my own.
Old 05-12-2006, 05:31 AM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sounds great!
Old 05-12-2006, 06:07 AM   #5
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Hi Robert, I am sure you'll like it here

Any plans of making your tools public eventually? I am more than happy to beta-test!
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 07:05 AM   #6
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy

Of course, but it needs some functionality first.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:40 AM   #7
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Welcome to the forums fellow citizen!
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 03:24 AM   #8
Jaapjan
Avid reader
Jaapjan doesn't litterJaapjan doesn't litter

Device: HTC Touch Diamond, iLiad Book Edition
That is amusing to hear. Welcome to MobileRead.

I have/am making software that converts all kinds of ebooks to HTML, orders it by author, series, name and cover, creates an OPF and saves it into my library in a sorted manner.

Can convert Multi-HTML OPF to a single HTML opf, LIT->Single HTML OPF and so forth. Code to extract the cover/other images from LIT files too.

All in C# .. of course.
Jaapjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 03:31 AM   #9
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaapjan
All in C# .. of course.
Ban him! He is using (a) bad language ;-)
Old 05-17-2006, 04:08 AM   #10
Jaapjan
Avid reader

Without getting carried away here... why do you consider it a bad language? It works fine under multiple platforms with multiple GUI kits and is ECMA standard?
Old 05-17-2006, 04:42 AM   #11
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy

The main thing is that it has not been created to fulfil a need. It has been created to counter Java. So its main purpose is not to promote efficient programming. It is a tool in a marketing fight.
Old 05-17-2006, 04:48 AM   #12
Jaapjan
Avid reader

Perhaps. I think Java and the .NET libraries certainly have plenty of similarity. However, I hate Java (no offense to those who like it) but am very pleased with the integration of .NET and its surrounding tools.

I used to do Delphi before defecting to C#. But then again, Delphi has moved to .NET too so... I still have a number of programs and [the/a] delphi bible.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:01 AM   #13
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy

I think we should go private with our discussion.
I prefer Delphi for numerous reasons like only having Delphi 6. For my project .net is not the best way to go forward. Integrating DLLs and programs is much easier in Delphi Win32 especially with the wealth of components available like the JVCL.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:01 AM   #14
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

I wish I could do either one... C# or .NET... but I guess I am stuck to lame PHP programming
Old 05-17-2006, 05:09 AM   #15
Jaapjan
Avid reader

Quote:
I wish I could do either one... C# or .NET... but I guess I am stuck to lame PHP programming
Do not worry Alexander. PHP is a nice scripting language and good to know.

As for C# and .NET... you are implying .NET is actually a language you can program in. It is not. It is simply a name encompassing a number of services/ideas Microsoft had.

However, I can do Delphi just fine. And C#. And C. C++. Pascal. PHP. And who knows what.