Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-11-2008, 02:27 AM   #16
bkilian
Zealot
bkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS/505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
As of version 0.4.83, lit2oeb powers lit2lrf
And also as of 0.4.83, it has become very difficult for me to use calibre Is there a way to tell it to use ConvertLit if lit2oeb fails dismally on a number of your books in irritating to spot ways that you don't notice until you try read the book?

Examples of failure:
Ticket #938 (Which makes my entirely automated book coversion process tricky at best)
Ticket #939 (In which a book that I spent ages scanning maps and cleaning them up suddenly has no maps)

And in general, it becomes _impossible_ to edit the resulting OPF and HTML files, which I tend to do a lot, when they're all in one line. ConvertLit appears to have no problems making an easy to read and edit file. (I had a hell of a time trying to add a <dc:Language> tag to a bunch of books because of this)

If I find anything else, I'll create corresponding bugs, but for the moment, I'm essentially stuck since I did a directory clean up and deleted all my LRF files to do a clean reconvert, and now I'll have to wait until these bugs are fixed.
bkilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:24 AM   #17
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It's the price of progress. The new code will be much easier to maintain in the long run.

You can run the output of lit2oeb through a pretty printer like html tidy if you want to edit the files by hand.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2008, 01:11 PM   #18
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkilian View Post
Examples of failure:
Ticket #938 (Which makes my entirely automated book coversion process tricky at best)
Ticket #939 (In which a book that I spent ages scanning maps and cleaning them up suddenly has no maps)
I've pushed fixes for these bugs up to my bug-fix branch -- Kovid should pick them up for the next release unless he's unhappy with them for some reason.

Quote:
And in general, it becomes _impossible_ to edit the resulting OPF and HTML files, which I tend to do a lot, when they're all in one line. ConvertLit appears to have no problems making an easy to read and edit file. (I had a hell of a time trying to add a <dc:Language> tag to a bunch of books because of this)
IceHand has asked for this too, and it's certainly on the todo list. The problem is that the HTML contained in the LIT files is stored as lit2oeb produces them. ConvertLIT pretty-prints the HTML as it extracts it, but gets it wrong quite frequently, inserting whitespace where it doesn't belong and producing output with e.g. "S mall C aps" messed up. I've looked at pretty-printing with the HTML & XML parser/generators already in calibre, but they either have the same flaws as the ConvertLIT pretty-printer (BeautifulSoup) or don't always succeed in actualy pretty-printing "document-style" XML (lxml).

Quote:
If I find anything else, I'll create corresponding bugs, but for the moment, I'm essentially stuck since I did a directory clean up and deleted all my LRF files to do a clean reconvert, and now I'll have to wait until these bugs are fixed.
I'm sorry you've run into some bugs, but please do submit any more issues you find and I'll get them fixed as quickly as I can.
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 01:37 PM   #19
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll certainly merge the bug fixes before the next release. But it's going to be a little while until the next release as calibre is getting its job control system overhauled and is not in a usable state at the moment.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:45 PM   #20
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@llasram it may be woth implementing a simple custom pretty printer that just inserts new lines at the end of a bunch of pre defined tags (like <p>, <br>, <div>, <tr>, the various OPF tags etc) If we dont care about indentation, this should be easy enough to do.
Advert
Old 08-11-2008, 04:43 PM   #21
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
@llasram it may be woth implementing a simple custom pretty printer that just inserts new lines at the end of a bunch of pre defined tags (like <p>, <br>, <div>, <tr>, the various OPF tags etc) If we dont care about indentation, this should be easy enough to do.
I tried again running the markup through lxml, this time using a parser with the 'remove_blank_text' option enabled. This fixed the issue with pure-whitespace "tails" causing pretty-printing to fail entirely, at the cost of possibly removing relevant whitespace. That said, I checked several books and didn't see any rendering differences between enabling pretty-printing and not. That said, it seems safest to leave this as an option, so I've got the lxml-based option '--pretty-print' implemented and pushed up in my branch.
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 04:56 PM   #22
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

OK having it as an option is acceptable as I dont want to break things for the majority of users that go the direct lit->lrf route
Old 08-11-2008, 06:15 PM   #23
bkilian
Zealot
bkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS/505
Quote:
I'll certainly merge the bug fixes before the next release. But it's going to be a little while until the next release as calibre is getting its job control system overhauled and is not in a usable state at the moment.
I don't need calibre, I just need a new lit2oeb.exe
Luckily I have an older version on my work PC, I think I can get all my LRF files recreated.

Thanks for all the work you guys do. I may sound ungrateful every so often, but calibre is a large part of the reason why I'm considering buying a PRS505 as my next device and not a Kindle.
bkilian is offline   Reply With Quote