Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-27-2010, 02:13 PM   #1
marshies
Enthusiast
marshies for a long time would go to bed early.marshies for a long time would go to bed early.marshies for a long time would go to bed early.marshies for a long time would go to bed early.marshies for a long time would go to bed early.marshies for a long time would go to bed early.marshies for a long time would go to bed early.marshies for a long time would go to bed early.marshies for a long time would go to bed early.marshies for a long time would go to bed early.marshies for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Sony PRS650
Price match + Coupon, is this acceptable consumer behaviour?

I recently acquired a coupon that specifies 50$ off any 100$ purchase from the Sony Store. On the back it does say that the offer isn't valid when combined with other offers.

I got a Sony Store to agree to price match a Best Buy offer for 219 on the PRS650. I'm wondering if I would be right to walk in and use this coupon on top of the price match. Or would that already be a considered "another offer"?

When I spoke to the manager, I was originally going for a price match at 209 for Future Shop, but he said that would make them sell under costs. Has anyone had similar experiences buying a Sony PRS 650 or any other ereader at about 80$ discount other than with the trade-in credits?

As a starving student, I'd be happy for any savings I can get...but I'm just not sure if I'm doing it in an acceptable manner. If I were the sales manager and someone brought a coupon after I offered price match, I'd be pretty angry.
marshies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 02:34 PM   #2
Daephex
Licensed Raconteur
Daephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3, Sony PRS-600, iPod Touch
I've never been able to use a coupon on top of a price match-- the whole idea is that the price match gets you to the "lowest" price already. But what's the harm in trying? It's not like they're going to arrest you or something. Go for it, and let us know what happens!
Daephex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:53 PM   #3
screwballl
NewKindler
screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
Coupon is a coupon, "other offers" tend to mean sale, clearance or other official store price reduction already in place. Price match is simply matching an outsiders price to get the sale, the coupon is just icing on the cake. Get every advantage you can.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:10 PM   #4
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
As a woman who has been bargain shopping for 30 years, I can tell you that price matching is not considered another offer. This only refers using two coupons or some other kind of special that the store is offering.

I have used coupons on top of price matching many, many times and it is a perfectly acceptable and legit consumer behavior.

I also question that you could not get a price match on your first choice of items. Regardless of selling under cost, stores that offer price matching should do so on any item. I'm not familiar with Sony Style's policy so if they don't usually offer price matching then it's acceptable.

By all means - use the coupon!
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:14 PM   #5
KarenH
Addict
KarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five words

Device: K3
I don't see anything wrong with asking, just as long as you're willing to accept a "no" gracefully and not act like they're trying to rip you off - and from the sound of your post I can't imagine you being a jerk about it. That way if you do get to use the coupon it's a happy bonus, but if you don't there are no bad feelings on either side.
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:36 PM   #6
marshies
Enthusiast
marshies for a long time would go to bed early.marshies for a long time would go to bed early.marshies for a long time would go to bed early.marshies for a long time would go to bed early.marshies for a long time would go to bed early.marshies for a long time would go to bed early.marshies for a long time would go to bed early.marshies for a long time would go to bed early.marshies for a long time would go to bed early.marshies for a long time would go to bed early.marshies for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Sony PRS650
Thanks all for the kind replies.
I have just happily returned with a PRS 650! The manager was able to tack a 50$ off coupon to the 219 price match. It sucks that he couldn't match the 209. But overall, at $190 Canadian including tax, I still say it was rather good.

I'm now happily charging my ereader, and eyeing ebook covers for tomorrow.

The first book I plan to read is Incidents of a Slave Girl.
marshies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:04 PM   #7
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
That's wonderful news!

Congrats on your new reader and great deal!
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:19 PM   #8
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Good for you! You really do catch more flies with honey. Enjoy! And Karma for being such a nice person.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote