Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-18-2008, 12:36 PM   #1
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
500/505 pricedrop

Hi,

The first ereader from Sony ,PRS-500, was released in sept.06
The second reader PRS-505 was released in okt.07
Now it seems like the newest reader PRS-700 will be released around november 2008.

You can almost see a yearly release for sony's e-readers.

I'm about to buy the PRS-505, but am thinking to wait my purchase to see if the release of the PRS-700 will cause any pricedrop on the 505 models.

My question would be,does anyone remember when the first pricedrops of the PSR-500 where seen?
It seems like the 500 also started at around a $299 pricepoint, and somewhere now they are sold for almost $200. ($100 off initial price).
I'm not expecting the 700 to influence the 505 by $100 immediately, but $20,$25,or even $50 would be nice!

I'm expecting the 505 to drop in price as well,but anyone had an idea whether prices of the 500 dropped right before or after the release of the 505,or did it take some time after the 505 was released for prices to fall?

thanks!
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 12:39 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
I'm expecting the 505 to drop in price as well,but anyone had an idea whether prices of the 500 dropped right before or after the release of the 505,or did it take some time after the 505 was released for prices to fall?
Since the 700 doesn't replace the 505 in Sony's roadmap I doubt you will see closeout prices on the 505 like you did on the 500 when the 505 came out. The 505 is still being manufactured and sold side-by-side with the 700.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2008, 12:39 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's a different situation: the 505 was a replacement for the 500, and people dropped the price of the 500 simply to sell off old stock.

The 700 is not a replacement for the 505; it's a more expensive machine, and I really see no reason to expect a price drop on the 505 as a result of its release.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 03:17 PM   #4
monkeywrench
Connoisseur
monkeywrench began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4, Kindle Keyboard
Another thing is that the 500 to 505 trade up program goes until January 31st 2009. I wouldn't expect to see a price drop at least until that promotion is over.
monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 04:02 PM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Actually, the 700 is in the stores now, at least here in Virginia. See the thread here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30754
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2008, 06:12 PM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Hi,

The first ereader from Sony ,PRS-500, was released in sept.06
The second reader PRS-505 was released in okt.07
Now it seems like the newest reader PRS-700 will be released around november 2008.

You can almost see a yearly release for sony's e-readers.

I'm about to buy the PRS-505, but am thinking to wait my purchase to see if the release of the PRS-700 will cause any pricedrop on the 505 models.

My question would be,does anyone remember when the first pricedrops of the PSR-500 where seen?
It seems like the 500 also started at around a $299 pricepoint, and somewhere now they are sold for almost $200. ($100 off initial price).
I'm not expecting the 700 to influence the 505 by $100 immediately, but $20,$25,or even $50 would be nice!

thanks!
The PRS-500 was $349.00 at Borders when it was first introduced. I paid that amount of money when I bought it there.

Shortly before the release of the PRS-505, an outfit (can't remember who, at this point in time) offered the PRS-500 for $99. I bought one.

About 6 months ago, I purchased the PRS-505 at Borders (while making a trip to the U.S.) and purchased that model unit for $299.00

At that point, I also sold both my PRS-500s for $300 total.

Contrary to Harry's opinion, and even though the 505 is marketed as a slightly less complimentary device to the PRS-700, I can envision the phasing out of the PRS-505.

In my opinion, when you start to see the PRS-505 offered for "bargain" prices, then I would say they're about to release something beyond the PRS-700 and want to clear away the 505s while also retaining the 700 within the marketplace.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 07:37 PM   #7
monkeywrench
Connoisseur
monkeywrench began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Shortly before the release of the PRS-505, an outfit (can't remember who, at this point in time) offered the PRS-500 for $99. I bought one.

Don
I believe it was Tiger Direct that was selling them for $99. Probably not a bad idea to start watching there in the event that they do something similar with the PRS-505.
monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:01 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrench View Post
I believe it was Tiger Direct that was selling them for $99. Probably not a bad idea to start watching there in the event that they do something similar with the PRS-505.
Yes, you're right, that's the name. Thanks for mentioning that, and your suggestion is very good.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 02:44 AM   #9
megacoupe
Connoisseur
megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrench View Post
Another thing is that the 500 to 505 trade up program goes until January 31st 2009. I wouldn't expect to see a price drop at least until that promotion is over.
I'd like to find out more about this. Anyone know anything?
megacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 04:43 AM   #10
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by megacoupe View Post
I'd like to find out more about this. Anyone know anything?
you give sony your prs 500, they will take 100 bucks off the price of your 505

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...4903&langId=-1
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 07:05 PM   #11
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post

Not the greatest deal though, as you can easily sell a working 500 (even locally) for well over $100.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:43 AM   #12
DickyCheung22
Enthusiast
DickyCheung22 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post

It is not a great deal for only 100 off...
DickyCheung22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:00 AM   #13
LucidDreams
Tech Reader
LucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader Pocket Edition PRS-350
$100 off at SonyStyle.com and stores...

You can get $100 credit off the PRS-505 or PRS-700 when you buy it at SonyStyle.com or a SonyStyle store if you apply for and use a SonyCard (Chase Visa credit card). That makes the PRS-505 $199.99 and the PRS-700 $299.99. You also get 0% fixed interest for the first 12 billing cycles. Plus SonyStyle.com is currently offering free ground shipping.

SonyCard with $100 credit link
LucidDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:20 AM   #14
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidDreams View Post
You can get $100 credit off the PRS-505 or PRS-700 when you buy it at SonyStyle.com or a SonyStyle store if you apply for and use a SonyCard (Chase Visa credit card). That makes the PRS-505 $199.99 and the PRS-700 $299.99. You also get 0% fixed interest for the first 12 billing cycles. Plus SonyStyle.com is currently offering free ground shipping.

SonyCard with $100 credit link
That is an action that has gone on for about 5 months or so... In fact I thought they initially started off with 150$.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:04 PM   #15
LucidDreams
Tech Reader
LucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader Pocket Edition PRS-350
Quote:
That is an action that has gone on for about 5 months or so... In fact I thought they initially started off with 150$.
I haven't personally seen the $150 credit offer but have read about it elsewhere. Either way, taking $100 off either of these eBook Readers is a great deal - more so for the PRS-700 since it seems to sell at full price everywhere. The PRS-505 on the other hand can be found for around $265+shipping at some online stores.
LucidDreams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
505, market, price, pricedrop