Notices

Old 09-05-2008, 06:05 PM   #1
C6REW
Connoisseur
C6REW has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis 1
There Is A Limit

Hi All,

Well I just downloaded nearly 1,000 books to the 8gb card in my reader and it would not start up.

Re booted and it would have none of it, ending up with the little circular arrow stopping going round in the centre.

Now don't get me wrong I really have no need for that many books and it was only an experiment. But the processor is obviously just not good enough for that sort of quantity.

So will get a smaller card and this one can go back as a spare for the psp.

Regards

Chris
C6REW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 06:12 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by C6REW View Post
Hi All,

Well I just downloaded nearly 1,000 books to the 8gb card in my reader and it would not start up.

Re booted and it would have none of it, ending up with the little circular arrow stopping going round in the centre.

Now don't get me wrong I really have no need for that many books and it was only an experiment. But the processor is obviously just not good enough for that sort of quantity.

Regards

Chris
How long did you wait? The device has to read and index all of the books to present the menu.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2008, 06:22 PM   #3
kesey
Enthusiast
kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Hi All,
Chris
More power to you Chris, a worthy experiment I figure a 2gig card will be fine also.
regards,
kesey
kesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 08:54 PM   #4
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Why use a card at all? (It eats up the battery faster.) I have 150 or so books on my Reader (at least a years' worth of reading!) and still lots of unused internal memory. Plus that's a huge selection--there's a book for whatever mood I'm in.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:11 PM   #5
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Hi All,

Regards

Chris
I remember at the Austin meetup, the Sony there (which belonged to Amalthia) had at least 1,000 books on it and maybe more. It took a lot of time for it to do much of anything.

You might want to PM her and see what her take on it is. Perhaps if you don't put all of the books on the card at the same time ....

I know it was just an experiment, but in practical reality, I will be carrying thousands of books around on my Kindle eventually (code books and case reporters, along with my recreational reading), and so I'm hoping the Kindle will be able to handle it.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2008, 09:45 PM   #6
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
I remember at the Austin meetup, the Sony there (which belonged to Amalthia) had at least 1,000 books on it and maybe more. It took a lot of time for it to do much of anything.

You might want to PM her and see what her take on it is. Perhaps if you don't put all of the books on the card at the same time ....

I know it was just an experiment, but in practical reality, I will be carrying thousands of books around on my Kindle eventually (code books and case reporters, along with my recreational reading), and so I'm hoping the Kindle will be able to handle it.
One thing to note is that almost all of the books on Amalthia's Reader were in RTF format. I think it takes longer for the Reader to open a RTF book because it has to do some pre-processing.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 02:13 AM   #7
Flub
Groupie
Flub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel is

Device: iPhone, PRS-505, K2i, iPad 64GB+3G, K3, Nexus S
Another thread mentioned that a user with 2500 books on a memory card took about 55 minutes to process when processing for the first time. I suspect you just didn't wait long enough C6rew.
Flub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 02:58 AM   #8
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
I guess several smaller cards, rather than one large one, might be a better way to store a collection.
But, if you want to have two books available to read, and they're on different cards it would be awkward to keep switching.
I have a CyBook, and think it would be great to be able transfer books from a card to the internal memory, and also delete stuff from the memory when it's no longer required (without hooking up to a PC to do so).
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 04:27 AM   #9
C6REW
Connoisseur

Hi All,

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

You may be right and I did not leave it long enough, but the revolving arrow seemed to have stopped. I will give it another go later today.

As to why use the cards, well that's the point of having slots isn't it? So they can be used to store even more books on!

I do have a requirement for more books which are larger as most are in pdf format. These are photography books which I own both pdf's and hard copies of. It seemed a great idea to have access to them wherever I am. On the 8th Nov I am away in the Lake District for a week, on a holiday/landscaping photography course. I don't want to take all my books for reading in the evening so the 'reader' seems a superb way to achieve the same.

Anyway as I move into my second day of ownership I am of course still a virgin 'e-reader' user so it is great to get all your comments.

Best regards

Chris
Old 09-06-2008, 05:22 AM   #10
Peto
Legal Alien
Peto doesn't litterPeto doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505/T1/Kindle PW2
Well, the bookswap autorun lets you move and/or erase books to and from the SD and the Reader, so the card is only needed for storage, now, not for actual reading.
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 05:50 AM   #11
C6REW
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peto View Post
Well, the bookswap autorun lets you move and/or erase books to and from the SD and the Reader, so the card is only needed for storage, now, not for actual reading.
Hi Peto,

Sounds great, but don't know what it is!

Will consult the manual.

Regards

Chris
Old 09-06-2008, 06:29 AM   #12
C6REW
Connoisseur

Hi Peto,

Well just read the manual (for the first time!) and can find no mention of bookswap autorun. Any chance you can explain how this works?

Best regards

Chris
Old 09-06-2008, 07:54 AM   #13
Peto
Legal Alien
Peto doesn't litterPeto doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505/T1/Kindle PW2
Quote:
Hi Peto,

Well just read the manual (for the first time!) and can find no mention of bookswap autorun. Any chance you can explain how this works?

Best regards

Chris
It is not in the manual. All you need is here. Leave llasram some stamina

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21636
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 07:56 AM   #14
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
It's a custom app - See here
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 07:59 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peto View Post
The bookswap thingy does not works with collections. So be very careful. You could end up losing your reader till you get to your computer to sort out the problem.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote