Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-28-2013, 08:57 AM   #46
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
But good to keep the opportunity of reading the relevant posts to see the excellent rebuttal of the original ..... slur? ......... if that's not too "un-Parliamentary" .
And now we're encroaching on guideline 12*. Feel free to PM me if you wish.

*"[…] discussions or questions about the actions of the Moderating Team are not permitted on open forum."
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:10 AM   #47
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
Still waiting for feedback on the movie! 6,9/10 on Imdb.com so far, but from only 1600 votes, which doesn't seem promising (Movies are always rated higher in the beginning, when the die hard fans watch it).
Those that review movies for a living have weighed in. Most liked it (16 out of 22), including the so-called 'top 3' critics.

If you'd like to see what they liked and disliked about this film, go here:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/enders-game/

(I didn't bother to actually read any of them, but figure this movie can't possibly be any worse than After Earth -- which we watched this weekend and mostly used the FF button to get through it).
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2013, 10:13 AM   #48
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Card turned down a number of movie contract for Ender's Game (there was some commentary on this in an anniversary book release), and the movie is more a hybrid of Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow (AIUI), working from the premise that that makes it a ``buddy movie'' which is something which Hollywood can do, and which does cater well to filming.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:56 AM   #49
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
Card turned down a number of movie contract for Ender's Game (there was some commentary on this in an anniversary book release), and the movie is more a hybrid of Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow (AIUI), working from the premise that that makes it a ``buddy movie'' which is something which Hollywood can do, and which does cater well to filming.
What aspects of "Ender's Shadow" are in it? I didn't spot any.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:25 PM   #50
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Interview: http://live.washingtonpost.com/orson...'s-Game-Mo
``EG is extremely hard to write - what makes the novel work is all the material that is inside Ender's head, a place where screenplays cannot go (or at least not easily or all that effectively). Adding Ender's Shadow to the mix turns it into a buddy movie, which is more do-able.''
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2013, 01:06 PM   #51
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Isn't Ender's Shadow basically the same story from a different point of view? (I haven't read it, that's just what I've heard.)
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:54 PM   #52
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
And now we're encroaching on guideline 12*. Feel free to PM me if you wish.

*"[…] discussions or questions about the actions of the Moderating Team are not permitted on open forum."

Ooops , didn't realise I'd strayed into that one - sorry.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:32 PM   #53
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
Isn't Ender's Shadow basically the same story from a different point of view? (I haven't read it, that's just what I've heard.)
Pretty much, from Bean's POV. But also portrays Bean's uprising and the hardships it involved.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:22 PM   #54
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
In a bit of a reversal, I didn't really enjoy the book that much, but I am looking forward to seeing the movie. I like space action movies, and I usually like Harrison Ford movies, and I'm hoping the adaptations and compression of cinematic storytelling make me appreciate the story more.

It happened with Lord of the Rings. I have never been able to get through the books, but I enjoyed all of Peter Jackson's movies.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:27 PM   #55
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I suppose that if a lot of Ender's Game is from inside Ender's head, then Ender's Shadow would give an outside perspective.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:52 AM   #56
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
In a bit of a reversal, I didn't really enjoy the book that much, but I am looking forward to seeing the movie. I like space action movies, and I usually like Harrison Ford movies, and I'm hoping the adaptations and compression of cinematic storytelling make me appreciate the story more.

It happened with Lord of the Rings. I have never been able to get through the books, but I enjoyed all of Peter Jackson's movies.
I read Ender's Game when I was in junior high and disliked it immensely. Picking it up now and flipping through it, my opinion is even harsher since it's clearly meant for a younger audience (even leaving aside the aliens called 'buggers' and the fart jokes).

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing the movie but I find Card to be loathsome generally (his stance on gay marriage is just the tip of an iceberg made of crazy), and not someone I feel amazing about supporting. I might wait until he's dead to see it, and just hope that the beneficiaries of his estate aren't also crazy-wackadoos.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:06 PM   #57
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
... his views on gay rights, most of his political views, and that Mormonism is just strange,
This probably goes without saying, but Card's diatribes are not representative of the official position of the Church, nor of the attitudes of the general membership. Just in case there was any confusion about that.
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:45 PM   #58
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Fulda View Post
This probably goes without saying, but Card's diatribes are not representative of the official position of the Church, nor of the attitudes of the general membership. Just in case there was any confusion about that.

This is in danger of turning into a religious discussion. I would be most grateful if members would keep any discussions of Orson Scott Card's opinions to the most general terms possible. Thank you.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:25 PM   #59
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Never read any of his stuff, so I decided to give him a shot. I'll start off with the audiobook of Ender's Game. Placed holds at a bunch of my libraries. If I like it, I might see the movie.

Sometimes I'll watch the movie first before reading/listening to a particular book.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:58 AM   #60
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The film will make a lot more sense if you've read the book first.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote