Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 04-25-2012, 07:05 PM   #46
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Here's a bunch of the ship day reviews, in case anyone is interested:
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...eview-roundup/
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:39 PM   #47
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Here's a bunch of the ship day reviews, in case anyone is interested:
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...eview-roundup/
Thanks!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2012, 04:54 AM   #48
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
Quote:
Sorry to say it Nate but I also think you are bias towards Amazon, and appear to dislike B&N .. that's okay it's your blog. But I would not call you a Amazon Fanboi by any means ...like one of your readers (who I think must work for Amazon), some of his comments display an very unhealthy dislike for B&N.
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:05 AM   #49
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
What hardware upgrades? I don't see what else the nook could do to make it more appealing; for people who want a no-frills reader with excellent battery life, it's hard to beat. I rather have a simple device for reading that does its job as it is supposed, than a device that attempts to do plenty of stuff and succeeds at none. You know, jack of all trades, master of none...
Higher resolution. Better page turn buttons.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:13 PM   #50
mickeymammoth
mickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Kobo Forma
On order

I ordered this, and am hoping it rocks. I've owned many different readers, but this will be my first nook.

I had the original Sony reader prs-500, then "upgraded" to the 600 with touch screen, but it was horrible. The text was so light it was barely readable. A huge disappointment.

So I replaced it with the Kindle 3. This has been a decent reader for me, but a lot of bulk was added by the cover with light. The last time I tried to use the light in bed, it was so bright, my husband complained that it kept him up!

The glow nook seems like it might be a more successful night-time reader since the light is more directed at the screen. cross fingers. I'm a little worried the lighter text will be a repeat of the Sony 600 issue; if so, back it goes. But most reviews say it's still plenty readable, so we'll see. I also think the touch screen is nice, as well as hard turn page buttons. My mom has the Kindle touch and it's nice, but should have turn page buttons IMO.

My husband prefers an iPad for his reading pleasure; it'll be nice to get back to an epub device, too. Also Amazon is fundamentally evil, and I feel guilty buying as much stuff from them as I do. Thanks to Calibre and so on, must not be named, etc., we are able to share books across various devices successfully, so I don't feel locked into any given book supplier or reader. So I can make this change and still read the books I want to read.

I have a tracking # for the nook, but it hasn't actually shipped yet.
mickeymammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2012, 01:30 PM   #51
azazel1024
Groupie
azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad 2
Yeah hardware wise, faster processor, more memory, more user accessible memory, they could add sound, they could go to color (if it was better than the current state) eink, improve resolution, increase contrast and number of grey levels, increase screen response time, they could reduce weight, reduce screen reflectivity.

I could probably think of a few more. I am not saying the nook ST is bad, but there are certainly things that could be done to improve it without radically changing what it is and what it does and most would fall under improving user experience.
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:24 PM   #52
nremondelli
Zealot
nremondelli is on a distinguished road

Device: none
I took a look at one yesterday. I was especially interested in the crispness of the text compared to the other model and my Kindle Touch. While they no longer had a regular simple touch on display, I was able to test out the glo. From my personal experience I would say that their is a noticeable degrigation in the quality of the text over the simple touch and over the kindle but not nearly as bad as the old Sonys. However, I also noticed that the degrigation was very much dependent on the type of font chosen. Further, with the light on it becomes even less of an issue. I have one on preorder and am still keeping it on preorder. It wasn't terrible, but noticeable.
nremondelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:39 PM   #53
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iandix View Post
Sorry to say it Nate but I also think you are bias towards Amazon, and appear to dislike B&N .. that's okay it's your blog. But I would not call you a Amazon Fanboi by any means ...like one of your readers (who I think must work for Amazon), some of his comments display an very unhealthy dislike for B&N.
I'm only pissed with B&N at the moment because of why I got excluded from the launch event for the new Nook.

Before that I had no feelings either way.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:27 PM   #54
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by nremondelli View Post
While they no longer had a regular simple touch on display
That's really strange! They are not going to phase out the regular one, are they? Perhaps they don't *want* people comparing the text of the two?? (since reviews have said that you only notice it's worse when it's next to another reader.) Have other people found that the Glowlight is the only e-ink model on display at your B&N?

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:33 PM   #55
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
That's really strange! They are not going to phase out the regular one, are they? Perhaps they don't *want* people comparing the text of the two?? (since reviews have said that you only notice it's worse when it's next to another reader.) Have other people found that the Glowlight is the only e-ink model on display at your B&N?

eP
I didn't notice a difference:
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...t-has-arrived/
Old 04-26-2012, 10:14 PM   #56
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
Cool, thanks! I'm not really sure why uneven lighting would be worse for games and web browsing than reading, but whatevs. Nice to know the screen quality is good! Can't wait to see one myself, I hope to pop into B&N next week.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:59 AM   #57
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Thanks for the review.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:02 AM   #58
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
Quote:
Have other people found that the Glowlight is the only e-ink model on display at your B&N?

eP

Not at all, they had both out at my local store and I was able to pull up the same page of a Harry Potter book and match up the settings and fonts for a direct comparison.

As I mentioned in another thread, I could see a slight difference in contrast, but did not notice a lack of sharpness in the new reader. And to me the contrast was actually much better on the NookGL if you left the light on in a lit room (dialed down to 20 or 25 percent).

The other Nate sort of mentions that in his video review (and you can see the effect for yourself):

http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...photo-gallery/

I would definitely consider getting the NookGL and leaving the light on low at all times, so long as it doesn't kill the battery too quickly.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:41 PM   #59
yoitzo
yoitzo began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:

eP
My BN has both the simple touch and the glow light.

I had my nook with me and was able to compare. Most definitely lighter, not too much of a difference in contrast and sharpness (though it does depend on the font) and the screen feels a tad different. Still unsure if the light is enough for me to upgrade. I think I'll wait to see if kindle comes out with a light feature and compare more apples and oranges.
yoitzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:07 PM   #60
cpegg
Enthusiast
cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura H2O (first edition), Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
I could see a slight difference in contrast, but did not notice a lack of sharpness in the new reader.
That's promising. I would normally wait a while before adopting something new, since I'm not keen on paying for the privilege of being a guinea pig, but I'll be all over the new Nook as soon as it's out.

I often read in bed (with my Nook lit by a floor lamp with a flexible gooseneck) and my routine goes like this: shift position, yank lamp around for a while until it's just right. Read for a spell. Shift position, fight with lamp until it's perfectly adjusted. Lather, rinse, repeat. For hours, until I realize that if I don't get to sleep soon, I'll be a zombie at work the next day.

I'll keep my current NST and experiment with rooting.
cpegg is offline   Reply With Quote