Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-01-2011, 02:39 AM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Overdrive/Library/DRM problem

I'm not sure whether this should go in this forum, or in Calibre, or ePub, or even perhaps General Discussion, so please bear with me and with the length of the post.

The background:
- I've had Adobe Digital Editions on my computer for at least 18 months, and have used it on three different ebook readers; the Sony 650 has been my ebook reader of choice for several months now.
- I use Calibre to transfer downloaded ebooks to the Sony.
- I almost always cleanse ebooks from DRM defilement before uploading to the device.
- The State Library of Tasmania has recently started offering ebook for loan, and I've just downloaded my first two choices.

I downloaded through the ADE I already have on my computer and can open and read the ebooks on my computer. But when I transferred them to the Sony with Calibre I got a message with both books that they are DRM protected, and of course they would not open.

Why is this happening? Am I doing something wrong? How can I get to read the books I borrowed?

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 03:00 AM   #2
mcrmama
Addict
mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I had this happen to me with my pocketbook and learned that you have to let adobe load the library books on to the reader. You cannot open them if calibre transfers them. I thought this interesting since i did not have this issue with our purchased books that had adobe drm. There is something different with library books though.
mcrmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2011, 03:25 AM   #3
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
As an alternative, you can also transfer the books after opening them in the Sony Library.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:30 AM   #4
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
The something different is they're library downloads... this involves overdrive which involves time tracking the book... you loan is only valid for a limited time (or until you reconnect your eReader if you've passed the time limit)... normal purchases are just DRM protected with no time limits... and no overdrive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrmama View Post
I had this happen to me with my pocketbook and learned that you have to let adobe load the library books on to the reader. You cannot open them if calibre transfers them. I thought this interesting since i did not have this issue with our purchased books that had adobe drm. There is something different with library books though.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:27 AM   #5
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Thanks to you all. I'll think about the ideas you've given me.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert