Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 03-01-2011, 12:05 PM   #1
TJD
TJD began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek
Peculiar ePub corruption

Greetings:

I purchased an epub from KoboBooks and read through it without noticing any difficulties or problems. In going back to it, I find that throughout the text there are now mystery underlinings strewn around without any rhyme or reason. Sometimes just a few letters are underlined, other times a word or two, sometimes a whole sentence. I thought it might be a relic of a search operation but that doesn't appear to be the case because there is no consistency in the underlined terms or syllables. It's not a form of bolding or italicization either because the underlining is clearly random.

I recopied the epub from my Kobo account to my Aluratek, thinking that would fix the problem, but no luck. No other epubs appear to have this problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Tim
TJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 03:17 PM   #2
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Are you sure the device updated when you re-downloaded the file?

With my JBL, once when I was creating and revising my own epub file, the device wasn't reading the new version off my SD card. I finally learned I had to have the JBL on when I removed the card, and on when I reinserted the card with the new version of the file.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2011, 06:30 PM   #3
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
You might try running it through Calibre, with the "jetBook 5-inch" output profile set.
I am assuming that you are talking about an Aluratek Libre Pro not another Alurtek
product. With the Color Reader out you should update your device listing to reflect
the product(s) that you are using.

Luck;
Ken

P.S.; Calibre keeps improving, you will find the jetBook 5-inch setting at:
Preferences > Conversion - Common Options > Page Setup - Output profile

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 03-01-2011 at 06:45 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:17 PM   #4
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
....Luck;
Ken

P.S.; Calibre keeps improving, you will find the jetBook 5-inch setting at:
Preferences > Conversion - Common Options > Page Setup - Output profile
Are there any other input or output options for epub that you can recommend?

Thanks
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:17 AM   #5
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas0039 View Post
Are there any other input or output options for epub that you can recommend?

Thanks
I haven't spent a lot of time going over all that there is in terms of the
remarkable customization available with Calibre. The new "Tweaks"
feature in Preferences, is absolutely brilliant, in my opinion. It is a new
way to make the very powerful (but daunting to those not technically
inclined or familiar with it) command line options available to the average
user.

The "Tweaks" feature page is in three parts one part lists tweaks
by a one or two line description. When you select and highlight a tweak
description the "Help" part provides a detailed description with values you
can use, their impact and a full description of the tweak's function. Also,
the "Edit tweak" part of the page provides the start of the command line
function with an example value that you can modify/edit to achieve the
results you want.

This would be a great feature for many programs that have such complex
command line options. I would love to see something like it for GIMP2, for
instance.

To be honest I haven't even gone through the tutorial material available for
Calibre, or all the help. I've just gone through enough to get it working "good
enough" for my .epub files, and I'm not too picky.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert