Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-16-2012, 05:02 PM   #31
TongueTied
Zealot
TongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmac View Post
Does anyone have any update on this?

My desktop has updated but not my Touch. Is 2.1.4 available or not in the UK??
No. It was available in some places and then they identified a bug and halted the rollout. I understand from a post in another thread by Kobo, that the bug has been fixed and they are currently testing. They expect the release to happen soon. What soon actually means in Kobo-land, is anyone's guess.
TongueTied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:35 PM   #32
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
(from an IT Project Manager)
You may find it hard to believe, but with some companies with competent managers and sound methodologies, this DOES happen.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:59 AM   #33
rjmac
Connoisseur
rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by TongueTied View Post
No. It was available in some places and then they identified a bug and halted the rollout. I understand from a post in another thread by Kobo, that the bug has been fixed and they are currently testing. They expect the release to happen soon. What soon actually means in Kobo-land, is anyone's guess.
Thank you.

Does the community think that Kobo have lost the plot and forgotten the value of good customer service and communication?
rjmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:23 AM   #34
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmac View Post
Thank you.

Does the community think that Kobo have lost the plot and forgotten the value of good customer service and communication?
No, I think they're very busy...
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:41 AM   #35
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
No, I think they're very busy...
No excuse for yet another VERY mishandled update.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:16 AM   #36
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
You have to remember that it's only mishandled for *US*. The few, the heavily involved, the forumites. For the vast majority of the Kobo-using public, this update has been handled just fine. A large number of those who got 2.1.4 would never run into the problem, because they simply don't use the SD slot. Those who didn't get it don't even know it exists.

I'm impressed with the level of communication Kobo has with this community, largely because it can become a no-win spiral. Don't talk enough and people complain about lack of communication. Update without firm deadlines and people complain about being vague. Update with firm deadlines and people rake you over the coals if the deadlines slip.

I think they've struck the right balance.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:33 AM   #37
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
Those who didn't get it don't even know it exists.
This.

My sister, who also has a Kobo, only finds out about firmware updates when one shows up on her device or when I tell her one's coming. Like many regular owners, she doesn't follow any of the threads here. (She only pops on to check out the Kobo coupons thread, which she bookmarked after I told her about it.)
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:14 AM   #38
lioslaith
Zealot
lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle, Kobo Vox/Glo, Nook
Quote:
Those who didn't get it don't even know it exists.
Totally agree. My Mum has NO idea about firmware, updates or anything similar. Even when updates are pushed to her readers she hands it to me to check out. Everything except reading the books she seems to see as my domain.
lioslaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:33 AM   #39
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lioslaith View Post
Totally agree. My Mum has NO idea about firmware, updates or anything similar.
I suggest that's the norm for the majority of Kobo owners. The internet, and specifically forums, tend to exacerbate something that psychologists call “group polarization.”. When people discuss something they have in common, their beliefs tend to coalesce. Unfortunately, the end result is a viewpoint that is more extreme than the norm.

I get a lot of good info from this forum, but it's often over the top. You'd think that the masses were in the streets shaking their fists over the mishandling of a firmware release. In reality, it goes completely unnoticed by most owners.

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:52 PM   #40
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
You have to remember that it's only mishandled for *US*. The few, the heavily involved, the forumites. For the vast majority of the Kobo-using public, this update has been handled just fine. A large number of those who got 2.1.4 would never run into the problem, because they simply don't use the SD slot. Those who didn't get it don't even know it exists.

I'm impressed with the level of communication Kobo has with this community, largely because it can become a no-win spiral. Don't talk enough and people complain about lack of communication. Update without firm deadlines and people complain about being vague. Update with firm deadlines and people rake you over the coals if the deadlines slip.

Exactly.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:25 PM   #41
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
I agree that some customers will complain no matter what path you take. I don't agree that Kobo struck the right balance. I don't beleive making vague statements regarding update dates as in "we expect to be rolling out an update soon." and then hiding behind a wall of silence when encountering problems is the right solution, or leaves an impression of being professional.

I would have preferred that Kobo would have done a better job communicating when they ran into snags. They don't need to specify a date but they could simply state the nature of the problem without going into minute details and give a revised estimate. Yes, some people will pillor them, make sarcastic comments etc., but my guess is, far fewer than they brought on themselves by going silent.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:33 PM   #42
jusmee
Wizard

Quote:

Just because people are unaware of the mishandling does not mean it did not occur. They still released a version that was so buggy it had to recalled, or the roll-out halted. This was during a rollout where special means (2 stage upgrades) had to be taken for some customers to prevent the version failing to upgrade properly because the upgrade didn't cope with some versions of their own factory firmware(/hardware?). Bad QC all round.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:45 PM   #43
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I'm old school, some would just say OLD (well middle-aged), and have mostly worked on real time control work with PCs and microcontrollers operating Big, HEAVY, expen$ive equipment so I tend to be a bit critical concerning code and the like. My goofs could have potentially been very expensive or gotten people killed...

Bottom line, is yes, they goofed -but in rather minor, acceptable ways. No one here is perfect, I feel quite confident stating. Is a problem with ebooks stored on SDHC or an inability for a group of users to update annoying? Sure, but it hardly was more than a temporary inconvenience and minor enough that one was still able to continue using the device -albeit perhaps not the SDHC card. Most importantly, they figured out the problems and got them fixed pretty quickly. I'd rather have a team you can count on in the clinch than one composed of people that never made a mistake. Their first mistake would likely tear them apart -at least temporarily.

I think ultimately we all owe them a THANK YOU any way you look at it. We're still getting upgrades from a company that sold us a product how long ago? Almost unheard of these days of Make it-Sell it-Junk it-Replace it. I'll be quite honest, when deciding what cell phone, android tablets, PCs, darn near any development tool, one of the first things I look at beyond basic design is how well is the item supported or updated. I think the Kobo guys ultimately get a lot of credit for coming through with continued updates.

My only suggestion beyond making sure anything they do is well tested before even thinking about a release is that if they gave the customer the option of whether or not to upgrade the firmware yet they might just keep from shooting themselves in the foot when/if they do have a minor problem. I'd stop having it just pop up and force you to upgrade and just make notice on the settings menu or the firmware notes page that a new version is out and let people find it for themselves. Or announce it on the web page, in the forums, etc. Why bother anyone not caring to look for an update? OTOH, the types who read these forums probably help them pretty quickly discover any problems they failed to detect, so that can even be considered an upside.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:07 PM   #44
RickyB
Enthusiast
RickyB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RickyB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RickyB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
... if they gave the customer the option of whether or not to upgrade the firmware yet they might just keep from shooting themselves in the foot when/if they do have a minor problem. I'd stop having it just pop up and force you to upgrade and just make notice on the settings menu or the firmware notes page that a new version is out and let people find it for themselves...
I've concluded this is my major beef with the update process. Is there a reason Kobo would maintain their current update model I wonder?

We have four Kobos in our household, and three have been left at 1.9.17. Mine is 2.0.4. As far as I can tell the reading experience on those three is just the same as on my latest firmware. And I've gone through more pain to get to 2.0.4!
RickyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:50 PM   #45
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
The most obvious reason to maintain the current update model is that it allows the company ultimate control of how your device acts and allows them to attempt to push their products. Aside from the selling side of it, it does, when everything is working correctly, allow them to ensure the best, most up to date, user experience for all users and those they are likely to show their reader. Mostly, it allows marketing types to feel they've made a contribution by trying to push content.

Personally, I think that all the reader companies have missed the mark. Sure push the books, but try to be a little less obvious -they all have options to go to their bookstores if you're in a buying mood. Why not wise up and offer content I won't find in a paper book? Interviews with authors, discussions about particular books -better yet with the authors as contributors, online book clubs which need not be time constrained like a forum where people can "discuss" their views while reading -they already have browsers built in which could facilitate community activities like online book clubs.

They're pushing stuff in a crass manner when with a modicum of effort they could really be making sales.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote