Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-26-2013, 02:04 PM   #16696
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Hey!! Let's get some action going! What are we reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
I wonder what is so great about this Gatsby person.
Nothing really. I think it's totally overrated, didn't like the characters at all and the story was dull. The only reason I read it till the end is because it's short. That's my opinion of course and many would disagree.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:15 PM   #16697
harleigh
harleigh began at the beginning.

Device: None
Just finished The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer. I found it slightly strange but pretty awesome. I guess I like strange books...always looking for something a little different. Not sure what to read next...
harleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2013, 04:13 PM   #16698
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I liked it. I liked it a lot. I do see what you mean about the ending, but I thnk it works OK.

Next up: Monster Hunter Legion by Larry Correira. Another recent purchase.
A fun book, wasn't it? I'm currently reading the second of the Tinker series, Wolf Who Rules. Enjoying it a lot.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:37 PM   #16699
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
A fun book, wasn't it? I'm currently reading the second of the Tinker series, Wolf Who Rules. Enjoying it a lot.
I really liked her "A Brother’s Price" stand-alone.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:13 PM   #16700
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I really liked her "A Brother’s Price" stand-alone.
Yes. In many ways, her best book, IMHO.
Advert
Old 05-27-2013, 07:39 AM   #16701
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Now for something I know will get the blood pumping. It's the second book in the Bangkok series by Simon Royle. This one is called Bangkok Wet. I really enjoyed the first one (Bangkok Burn) and I'm sure I'll enjoy this one as well.
Blood pumping indeed! This was a real winner for me. I enjoyed it even more than the first book, tearing through the story and getting to the ending in a gasp.

It's a great duo and I'm hoping a third is going to make an appearance.

Now I need to get stuck into Waking the Moon by Elizabeth Hand. This book has literally been waiting years for me to read it and it has an interesting history with my first purchase of the paperback going missing, the second copy of the paperback purchased and sitting in my bookshelf with me now reading a further e-Copy purchase on my Kindle.

I adore Hand's writing if not always her endings and this book won the Mythopoeic Fantasy Award for Adult Literature in 1996.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:22 AM   #16702
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
Nothing really. I think it's totally overrated, didn't like the characters at all and the story was dull. The only reason I read it till the end is because it's short. That's my opinion of course and many would disagree.
Yeah, so far I agree it is kind of dull. I will stick with it, I guess. As you said, it's a short book.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:26 PM   #16703
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Finished Wolf Who Rules, moving on to Elfhome. I'm really enjoying this re-read. Lots of details I missed the first time, or had completely forgotten. And Ms. Spencer is a compelling writer.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:09 PM   #16704
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Marilyn Stasio (NYTBR Crime Columnist) has been in my personal doghouse since she "convinced" me to return to the Scarpetta series last year. BAD choice ....

But her judgement now shines unclouded again! At the behest of her latest Sunday column, I acquired and am deliriously entangled in John Harwood's latest -- The Asylum! How can you go wrong with the Gothic setting of a "humane" lunatic asylum in Cornwall, the most unreliable of narrators (suffering from amnesia, seizures, an imaginary friend in a mirror that might not be imaginary, and an unhealthy obsession with Sir Walter Scott's novels), a benevolent sinister doctor, and a new-found love that suffers from "acute melancholia"? And that's only in the first chapter!

I'm loving this Gothic romp - and can't wait to discover the next ghoulish development!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:09 PM   #16705
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Marilyn Stasio (NYTBR Crime Columnist) has been in my personal doghouse since she "convinced" me to return to the Scarpetta series last year. BAD choice ....

But her judgement now shines unclouded again! At the behest of her latest Sunday column, I acquired and am deliriously entangled in John Harwood's latest -- The Asylum! How can you go wrong with the Gothic setting of a "humane" lunatic asylum in Cornwall, the most unreliable of narrators (suffering from amnesia, seizures, an imaginary friend in a mirror that might not be imaginary, and an unhealthy obsession with Sir Walter Scott's novels), a benevolent sinister doctor, and a new-found love that suffers from "acute melancholia"? And that's only in the first chapter!

I'm loving this Gothic romp - and can't wait to discover the next ghoulish development!
I was on the verge of getting this from Audible yesterday, but the 1 star rating put me off, even though it was one of their featured recommendations. I thought it sounded intriguing, but hesitated. If it really is worth a try, I may just change my mind.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:01 PM   #16706
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post

I just finished "The Ghost Writer" a couple of weeks ago and reported that here in this thread.

He's a very atmospheric writer - very Jamesian, in my opinion.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:05 PM   #16707
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I was on the verge of getting this from Audible yesterday, but the 1 star rating put me off, even though it was one of their featured recommendations. I thought it sounded intriguing, but hesitated. If it really is worth a try, I may just change my mind.
This is my first Harwood (probably not my last - I missed your review Don!) - it has great ratings on Amazon.

Granted, this isn't Great Literature, but it's an entertaining & well written Gothic romp. Every cliche in the book for endangered frail mentally challenged heroine is thrown at you - but it's fun, and hasn't been boring yet. The horror element is Jamesian (Turn of the Screw & others) - in that it is realistic but fantastic - is it a nightmare, hallucination, madness .... or reality? And the historic/period detail is well done. I'm about half way through and highly recommend it -
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:46 PM   #16708
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Not a review, but just waxing enthusiastic over a wonderful book.

Someone else (I think) mentioned it here before me, so I went and read those reviews on Amazon.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:58 AM   #16709
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Now for something I know will get the blood pumping. It's the second book in the Bangkok series by Simon Royle. This one is called Bangkok Wet. I really enjoyed the first one (Bangkok Burn) and I'm sure I'll enjoy this one as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Having lived in Bangkok for some time, I'm looking forward to reading these. I wonder if they really capture the down-and-dirty Bangkok life of the average Thai, and the daily corruption they face...............SNIP......

EDIT: Well, I couldn't wait... So I just downloaded both of them to my iPhone. Being that I'll be back in Bangkok in just 11 more days, I figure these will get me back into the right frame of mind.

Stitchawl
Well, I started 'Bangkok Burn' today, read about 50 pages, and love it! It IS Thailand. No question about it, it's the down-and-dirty typical bad-guy scene in the Kingdom. That daily corruption I mentioned in my first post, showed up just as fast as would be expected. Of course, these guys being the HiSo's of the mob crowd, the payoffs are a new RangeRover to the Police Chief to cover up a murder rather than the $4 given to to cop who stops you for speeding. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of it! It sure keeps moving!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:36 AM   #16710
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Well, I started 'Bangkok Burn' today, read about 50 pages, and love it! It IS Thailand. No question about it, it's the down-and-dirty typical bad-guy scene in the Kingdom. That daily corruption I mentioned in my first post, showed up just as fast as would be expected. Of course, these guys being the HiSo's of the mob crowd, the payoffs are a new RangeRover to the Police Chief to cover up a murder rather than the $4 given to to cop who stops you for speeding. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of it! It sure keeps moving!

Stitchawl

I didn't want to write anything when you were musing about how dirty/corrupt it was going to be. I thought I'd let you discover that yourself.

I actually liked the second one even more than the first and it loses none of the pace (or corruption), but the first one has one of the best scenes. I won't give it away except to mention that a swimming pool might be involved.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote