Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 06-06-2020, 10:03 AM   #1
elphie
elphie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, IPad 8th Gen
Google play on 10th Gen Fire HD 8

Firstly apologies if discussed elsewhere.

Can anyone confirm that the new 10th generation HD 8 allows sideload of Google store? Comments on Amazon suggest they have closed this loophole but you guys are better informed than general reviewers

Looking to replace tablet of elderly parent & would prefer to go with KF as he's familar with it but ideally I'd also like to load some UK TV apps for him (Skygo and BT Sport etc) as he appears to be reading less/watching TV more in lockdown.

Thank-you
elphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 10:28 AM   #2
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
i cant help you directly as I dont own the very latest device, but I did predict a while back that amazon would eventually block google services
Amazon have upped the fire OS version, making it more like android 9+ so the versions of google framework etc that worked before will be wrong for this device, and newer versions will be needed

you will need to search more widely for definitive answers. reddit and xdadevelopers are good sources

Or consider buying an older HD8 version, which is probably at a reduced price now and is almost the same. Google stuff will run gen 8 (2019) and earlier, say the xdadeveloper guys, and there are detailed instructions there

Last edited by stumped; 06-06-2020 at 10:31 AM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2020, 10:32 AM   #3
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

PS these instructions appear to be for the 2020 version
https://liliputing.com/2020/06/how-t...hd-8-2020.html
Old 06-06-2020, 10:56 AM   #4
elphie

Thanks stumped, hadn't thought to search reddit, which does indeed suggest it will work.

Yeah I had thought to purchase an older version just as Amazon UK pulled them all from sale...

Cheers for link above also.
Old 06-06-2020, 12:05 PM   #5
stumped
Wizard

Surprised there are no previous gen tablets in warehouse or in certified refurbished... But anyway the returns process is generous enough for you to try it and if it does not run Google stuff then do a quick factory restore and return it.
The last one I did. 2019 hd 10, sulked a bit before it allowed me to install chrome but it is all ok now
There was a thread on 2020 differences, as I recall you get more ram. Faster charging via usb c, Slightly better battery life.
The next prime day sale can't be far away now?
Advert
Old 06-07-2020, 04:42 AM   #6
elphie

Cheers for info. FYI prime day delayed this year until September due to Amazon being swamped right now.
Old 06-07-2020, 04:46 AM   #7
stumped
Wizard

Fire HD 8 Tablet, 32 GB, Blue—with Special Offers (Previous Generation - 8th)
by Amazon
4.4 out of 5 stars 11,224 ratings | 1000+ answered questions
Pay £75.88 £69.88: Get £5 extra with your first Top Up. *Minimum spend £80. Click here to claim offer.
Only 7 left in stock.
Old 06-07-2020, 06:29 AM   #8
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
I'll report in tomorrow once I have received it. I did not get the Plus.

No problems installing the Play store and downloading apps.

Last edited by booklover6; 06-12-2020 at 05:28 AM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote