Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-10-2010, 09:20 PM   #1
BBel
Enthusiast
BBel began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo (white cos I like it better!)
anyone else toughing out font size while waiting for firmware update?

First I have a confession - I thought all the whinging about unchangeable font size was a little precious, as I read almost everything on the smallest setting anyway. That was until of course I bought a book, loaded it and couldn't change the font size and the default was smaller than smallest!
Ok I get it now.
I am persevering and waiting anxiously (and maybe foolishly) for the firmware upgrade as I am vaguely tech savvy but not keen on doing the workarounds - the language in even the simplest instructions on here just flummoxes me.
Just wondering if anyone else is like me and hoping for the kobo folks to pull it out and get the firmware update happening.
BBel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:35 PM   #2
artificial
Groupie
artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo eReader
If you use Windows just use this tool:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83209

Easy peasy.

Note: will presumably work on non-DRM protected ePubs only.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2010, 09:39 PM   #3
BBel
Enthusiast

on Mac sadly...
I had looked at that and thought, hmmm even I could manage to get that working, if only...
Old 06-10-2010, 09:46 PM   #4
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I'm in the "toughing it out" camp ... but the small size is TOO small for me. But no problem: I simply move on to something else that works fine. BTW, I have yet to find an ePub that doesn't work on Kobo as expected; I've had less success with library books (some yes, some no); and Kobo claims all Kobo books work fine. So, in the meantime: it's pretty hard to "run out" of stuff to read.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:48 PM   #5
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBel View Post
on Mac sadly...
I had looked at that and thought, hmmm even I could manage to get that working, if only...
You could just rename the epub to a zip (eg. mybook.epub to mybook.zip), open up the archive, find the stylesheet.css file, and edit it removing or changing the appropriate lines, save the file (zip file should update the changes) then rename mybook.zip back to mybook.epub and you're done.

Alternatively you could install Calibre and re-convert the epub ensuring you select the option to "disable font rescaling".
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2010, 09:50 PM   #6
leighisme
Connoisseur
leighisme began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, iPhone 4, iPad2
Yes... kinda. I've since returned my Kobo (and am waiting for my new unit to arrive), but while I had it I never had a font size problem. If I had, I wouldn't have done anything about it though - I've not that tech savvy!
leighisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:56 PM   #7
JBlyth
Connoisseur
JBlyth doesn't litterJBlyth doesn't litter

Device: Kobo, Kobo Touch, Ipaq 214, HTC WildFire Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Alternatively you could install Calibre and re-convert the epub ensuring you select the option to "disable font rescaling".
I found the "disable font rescaling" didn't work for me with Calibre, so what I do is convert it to EPUB (as Digital Editions and other files don’t have a CSS file), remove the generated CSS file, then re-convert with full justification.

This has a number of benefits
  • It gives a wider margin to show more text
  • "Real" page numbers are shown, rather than Chapters and pages of Chapters
  • I much prefer this format to the standard Borders Books format, which has ridiculously wide margins

In my opinion, anyway ;-)

Cheers
John in Sunny Carnarvon - Western Australia
JBlyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:01 PM   #8
BBel
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post

Hmm.. might give this one a try, am currently using calibre and ade as I am a noob and sometimes I can find a book in ade when i download it and sometimes can use calibre straight away - don't stress, works for me till I figure it out (have only downloaded 3 books so far, so will get plenty more practice).
I do have all books in my calibre library so will give it a go, if it doesn't work and the firmware update is still 'sometime when we decide to release it' away and I'm feeling brave I'll have a go at editing style sheets....maybe
Old 06-11-2010, 12:03 AM   #9
Spinner
Bibliofreak
Spinner began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
I've noticed that converting certain types of files (I'm looking at you, LRF) in Calibre with the font scaling disabled doesn't always work. What I do for a quick fix is to enable font scaling, but change the base font size to something like 17pt or 20pt instead of the default 12pt. The scaling still won't work, but it'll give you nice fat bold print in a readable size after conversion to EPUB and uploading to your Kobo.

Disclaimer: I'm using the Ubuntu Linux flavour of Calibre, I don't know if this works with other platforms.
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:30 AM   #10
Bittybye
Addict
Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T2
I've been toughing it out. As long as I have good light and don't read for more than an hour I'm fine. I'm not great with computers so I don't want to screw anything up. And really the size isn't too bad. I would like a little bigger but it's not unreadable.
Bittybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:44 AM   #11
neo770
neo770 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Small Fonts

Hi-Just purchased Kobe reader today, and also was a bit concerned re the small fonts, and not being able to increase size.

Thanks to the advice here, and using the Kobo Bulk Fixer, all is now well, and readable,on my .epub books.

Thanks very much.

Anyone know how to get rid of the 100 books supplied with Border Books Kobo? Have reset to factory with no result.
neo770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:59 AM   #12
Bureaucromancer
Enthusiast
Bureaucromancer began at the beginning.

The interesting thing about the claim that everything from Kobo works properly is that it's only really half true. While anything you download though the desktop app seems to work, there are more than a few books with the problem if you download the ePub and load them through ADE.
Bureaucromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:44 AM   #13
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucromancer View Post
The interesting thing about the claim that everything from Kobo works properly is that it's only really half true. While anything you download though the desktop app seems to work, there are more than a few books with the problem if you download the ePub and load them through ADE.
That's interesting. I've been browsing the kobobooks.com site with FF, add stuff to my library as a sort of wish list and then buying from FF. Then I boot up the Kobo App, update the library and sync. No problems yet.

That seems to be the easiest way to buy books from them too.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:58 AM   #14
ava0775
ava0775 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamsterRage View Post
That's interesting. I've been browsing the kobobooks.com site with FF, add stuff to my library as a sort of wish list and then buying from FF. Then I boot up the Kobo App, update the library and sync. No problems yet.

That seems to be the easiest way to buy books from them too.
I am doing this also and as of yet, no issues.
ava0775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:30 AM   #15
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
I'm toughing it out. Plenty to read without dealing with this issue, but it is annoying. I'm switching from Mac to PC this weekend and then I'll have a few more tools to work with. I tried the Mac-based program "ePub Zip" but it didn't work for my book (by which I mean, "MY" book, Risen, which has that problem.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote