Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 06-09-2010, 08:36 AM   #1
abadguy
abadguy began at the beginning.

Device: Iphone
Problem converting pdf to epub (size) using calibre

Hi everyone, I had a pdf ebook made only by images. I converted it into a searchable text pdf using an ocr program called pdf converter professional, a very good program. The original pdf was 8mb, the new pdf is about 18mb. When I try to convert it to epub format using Calibre I get an epub output file of 80+ mb and there's no way I could manage to upload such a big file to my iphone unfortunately (I also tried to convert the 8mb pdf to epub but I still get a big 70mb+ epub file as an output). I haven't figured out yet how to make my output file smaller, do I make some mistake in calibre's settings? Please help me I don't get why the epub is so big after conversion, after all this ebook is just 140 pages..

p.s. if this could help I also converted the file with the ocr program in a .doc format, but since calibre doesn't support .doc I don't know how this could be useful

Last edited by abadguy; 06-09-2010 at 08:47 AM.
abadguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:25 AM   #2
Pranananda
Connoisseur
Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.

Device: ipad, iPod touch, JetBook Lite
You might try making a copy of the epub (an epub is just a zip archive), renaming the extension to .zip (from .epub), unzipping the book, and see which files in the epub are large. It could be that there are some large images. If you then open the images in Preview or Photoshop or Gimp, you an probably save those images at a reduced resolution, zip of the files, and make it an epub again.
Pranananda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2010, 10:33 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Maybe the "searchable text" pdf has both the images and the text, and when you convert it to epub, calibre keeps the images. Try getting a text-only file first with your OCR program, and make it HTML if possible.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:40 PM   #4
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
p.s. if this could help I also converted the file with the ocr program in a .doc format, but since calibre doesn't support .doc I don't know how this could be useful
If your OCR program will only output the text in .pdf or .doc format, it should be pretty easy to convert the .doc to a format calibre can handle, like .html, .rtf or .odt. Just use a WordProcessor to open the .doc, and then save as or export as another format. If using M$ Word, save as filtered HTML. (If you don't have M$ Word, you could use a free open source word processor like OpenOffice, or AbiWord. I've mostly had success using the HTML output of AbiWord's conversions from doc to html in calibre to generate ebooks.)
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:25 AM   #5
Hedaya
Connoisseur
Hedaya began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 612
I'm having the reverse problem: getting epubs into PDFs. It actually just fails completely. any thoughts?
Hedaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2012, 05:41 PM   #6
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedaya View Post
I'm having the reverse problem: getting epubs into PDFs. It actually just fails completely. any thoughts?
What is "it"? What method are you trying?

For the other direction, I'd use jellby's script instead. Here.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:33 AM   #7
Hedaya
Connoisseur
Hedaya began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 612
I'll do that, thanx! =)
Hedaya is offline   Reply With Quote