Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-17-2010, 03:00 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
What's your favorite RSS feed reader?

As you might know, I have a blog. I've had it a few weeks now, and it's helped clarify my thoughts on ebook readers, digital reading, and the like. I was writing a review of the SmartQ 7 when I had an epiphany.

My mindset was too heavily focused on the gadgets, and not enough on the reading. Reading is what is important; the manner in which you do it is not. I've come to realize that MobileRead should be about more than ebook and ebook readers. It should be about reading, in all its forms. All I'm trying to do is expand the topics discussed, not discourage existing discussions. This thread is my first attempt at fostering new discussion.

So what's your favorite RSS feed reader? I use Google Reader, but I'm looking for a replacement. Which handhelds come with a feed reader, and are they any good?

What do you think?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 04:36 PM   #2
Rootman
Groupie
Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Android & FBReader
Brief ( http://brief.mozdev.org/ ) within Firefox ( http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/ )
Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2010, 04:44 PM   #3
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I've never used a RSS feed reader. What benefits do you find in an RSS feed?

When I want news I normally go to Google News and look at the headlines, and search Google's news site for keywords such as Kindle, Amazon, or whatever the hot topic of the day happens to be. I also look at the DrudgeReport. I normally use my PC at work and at home for viewing these sites -- never my phone or my Kindle.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 04:49 PM   #4
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
If you are on a mac, netnewswire is the best in my opinion - http://www.newsgator.com/INDIVIDUALS/NETNEWSWIRE/

But for some reason I always forget to use RSS and go back to visiting websites, so inefficient!
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 05:00 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
I've never used a RSS feed reader. What benefits do you find in an RSS feed?
I follow a number of gadget blogs. Back before I used an Google Reader, I used to go to the various sites to read them. In fact, I still have several folders full of bookmarks for the blogs.

It takes less time to use a feed reader. It's a lot easier to skip the stories I'm not interested in. And the feed reader only takes up one tab, not 40 (I'm up to 125 feeds, now).
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2010, 05:08 PM   #6
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Discovering RSS feeds really changed the way I spend my time on the internet--drastically cutting down how much time I spend revisiting my favorite sites/blogs to see what's new, only to discover than there isn't anything... Plus it can really help to customize your news reading, if you do that online.

I have yet to find anything I like better than Google Reader. I used the sage plugin for Firefox for awhile, but Google Reader is faster, and much easier to sync across different computers.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 05:55 PM   #7
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
I used to use the FeedDemon reader and a couple of others a few Years ago, but stopped using it as I found it too cumbersome to launch a separate program on my laptop every time and just found it easier to just launch the site.

A couple of Years ago I got Turned on to Google Reader and have been using it since. Its still the one I use daily as non of the other clients I've seen offer me much beyond it, especially as you can now run it in offline mode you want using google gears.

The thing I really love is that as its online, its always in sync no matter which Computer or Phone I've last read it on the lack of which which was part of the reason I found standalone readers on My computer and PPC too much trouble to bother with.

I tried NetNewsWire a short while ago when they announced that they were going to allow you to link it with your Google Reader accounts, but found that for my usage it was just more convineint to have Reader open in a Tab in my Browser which is always running with a half a dozen tabs at any one time.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:10 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Another vote for Google Reader. I used to use Feeddemon and Netnews wire with the Newsgator syncing platform... it worked most of the time. But, switching to google reader eliminated the need to sync and also eliminated the need to run yet another app/service on my PC to take up cycles.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 03:37 AM   #9
oCkz7bJ_
oCkz7bJ_ began at the beginning.

Device: Foxit eSlick > Amazon Kindle PW3
I'm also an avid Google Reader user, mainly because you can use it on every pc you log in to.

The desktop client I liked most is Liferea.
oCkz7bJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 04:31 AM   #10
ischeriad
Connoisseur
ischeriad began at the beginning.

Device: PB Pro 903, Kobo Touch [Past: Story, Clié N770C, SL-10, Palm IIIxe, V]
Ich have Gregarius installed on my webspace. I guess it is less powerful than Google Reader, but it is all I need and it is online. I have used Netnewswire and it is a nice program, but I tend not to read the feeds if I have to launch a separate program.
ischeriad is offline   Reply With Quote