Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 02-03-2008, 05:17 AM   #1
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle III, Kobo Glo, Samsung Galaxy SIII
Sync MobiPocket incomplete

I recieved my Cybook Gen3 yesterday and after reading e books for about 8 years on PocketPC's (Last one HX4700) I am blown away by the "real book" reading experience of E Ink technology

So I purchased an e- book (DRM) from Fictionwise and the file synced fine with the Cybook but it does not show the cover image in the library and the few pictures in the book ( Fool's Errand, Hobb) are so small I need a magnifying glass to see them.

I re- synced a few times but still no image, this is annoying if you are using the library on the Cybook as a 10 item view you need to be able to see the graphical covers for proper identification.

Am I doing something wrong?
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 05:20 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sounds like a fault with the book itself. Have you tried loading into the Windows Mobi Desktop Reader and seeing if you get the same issues there?

If you do, I should report it to FictionWise; they should be able to sort it for you.

You can use tompe's "mobi2mobi" tool to add a cover image to the book if you wish, but you really shouldn't have to when you've bought it as a commercial book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2008, 05:26 AM   #3
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle III, Kobo Glo, Samsung Galaxy SIII
Thanks Harry, The mini cover image shows ok in MobiPocket desktop reader 6.1 and I also get all the file info properly. But on the actual cover (The big picture) it shows the same plane default cover image as on the Cybook library.....

So this is an isolated problem? I will sent FW an e-mail though......
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 06:05 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, it's definitely a problem with the book. Sounds as though it has a "thumbnail" image for the library, but not a full-sized cover image. The Gen3 only makes use of the full-sized image.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:46 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It is not an uncommon problem with MobiPocket eBooks. What you can do is purchase MS Reader format and use ConvertLIT to expand it to it's component parts and then use Mobigen to easily convert to Mobi format. I cannot be sure the MS Reader edition will always be better. But at least you'll have no DRM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2008, 02:17 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Please note, Jon, that BarnOwl is in the Netherlands. I don't know if that country has yet implemented the EU Copyright Directive in its laws, as the UK has, but, if it has, then removing DRM from a LIT file will be illegal for him, as it is for me. We must certainly not encourage people to break the law!
Old 02-12-2008, 06:05 AM   #7
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Please note, Jon, that BarnOwl is in the Netherlands. I don't know if that country has yet implemented the EU Copyright Directive in its laws, as the UK has, but, if it has, then removing DRM from a LIT file will be illegal for him, as it is for me. We must certainly not encourage people to break the law!
Is this some kind of forum policy? Do you mean that is is illegal to encourage people to break the law so there is a forum policy against it. Laws can be bad and in some cases it is good to encourage people to break them.

Also, event if the EU directive is implemented there is in many countried exceptions for personal use. So you cannot assume things just from the EU directive.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 06:22 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Is this some kind of forum policy? Do you mean that is is illegal to encourage people to break the law so there is a forum policy against it. Laws can be bad and in some cases it is good to encourage people to break them.
It is a formal policy of MobileRead not to condone or encourage piracy, that is correct. In countries where the use of tools such as "ConvertLIT" is against the law, we do not encourage their usage. Questions of whether or not such laws are "good" or "bad" can be debated, but do not change this policy.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:33 AM   #9
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It is a formal policy of MobileRead not to condone or encourage piracy, that is correct. In countries where the use of tools such as "ConvertLIT" is against the law, we do not encourage their usage. Questions of whether or not such laws are "good" or "bad" can be debated, but do not change this policy.
Could you please point me to the policy document? The motivation for the policy about not giving links has always been to avoid legal trouble. I have not seen anybody saying that the policy is a moral policy and saying that it is forbidden to encourage people to break drm is a moral policy. These are not something that causes lagal trouble for the forum.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:44 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I didn't know the EU policy forbids DRM removal for personal use. But has it been implemented yet? That s the question. Is it yet illegal to remove the DRM? This is something we should know. Who is good at finding out?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:07 AM   #11
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I didn't know the EU policy forbids DRM removal for personal use. But has it been implemented yet? That s the question. Is it yet illegal to remove the DRM? This is something we should know. Who is good at finding out?
If somebody gives the number of the directive it is easy to read it. I do not remember that it forces the countries to have laws that forbids breaking DRM for personal use. Actually I think it explicitly allow it but I might be thinking of the wrong directive.

In any case I think is is unreasonable to have a policy on the forum were you have to know the law in each country before saying something. And it is a kind of moralizing that I dislike very much.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:04 AM   #12
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post

Also, event if the EU directive is implemented there is in many countried exceptions for personal use. So you cannot assume things just from the EU directive.
I think this is more along the lines of "don't encourage someone to do something which will get them thrown in jail"... While I agree that some laws are bad - and should be removed - I would hate to think that my encouragement caused someone to break such a law, get thrown in jail and cause emotional and financial harm to his/her family.

So no, it isn't right to use MobileRead as a bully-pulpit to push for people to break the law.

And you have to also consider that by using MR as a channel for encouraging lawless behavior, you could be compliciting the moderators. Not a good thing.

Of course, nothing prevents you from sending someone who's interested a PM and then using your own email accounts to exchange ideas.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:23 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
I think this is more along the lines of "don't encourage someone to do something which will get them thrown in jail"...
Absolutely right, Derek. I haven't the faintest idea whether or not DRM removal is legal in the Netherlands, but if it happens not to be, then we shouldn't be encouraging someone there to break the law.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:54 PM   #14
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
If all you really want is to see a nice picture in the library, you can use this neat little tool that ashalan created to create the thumbnail picture that is displayed in the library - see post #3 at this link.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...cythumbcreator

I've used it and it works great.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 01:18 PM   #15
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
So no, it isn't right to use MobileRead as a bully-pulpit to push for people to break the law.
Then all mention of ConvertLit is bad since people read it that are living in countries were it is illegal to use it but obviously it is allowed everywhere in the forum to mention it. The laws are not the same in all countries so you cannot have a rule that forbids mentioneing and proposing solutions that can be illegal in some countries.

I am waiting for the pointer to the policies for this forum...