Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-13-2010, 04:15 PM   #1
IzzyMad
Enthusiast
IzzyMad began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Unhappy Bricked prs-505 PLEASE Helppppppppppppp? Anyone?

I've just been trying to use prscustomizer and bricked my prs505, again, I know that I need to run a program to reset it but for the life of me i can't remember what it is or which thread it is in

please save my sanity and point me in the right direction

I'm tearing my hair out here I know it can be done but not with the sony firmware upgrade or universal flasher as I can not find the relevent parts to alter

I know there is a updater/downdater? program but where

Last edited by IzzyMad; 08-15-2010 at 12:08 AM. Reason: total desperation
IzzyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 04:37 PM   #2
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Just reinstall the sony firmware:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu...05&upd_id=3622
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2010, 04:45 PM   #3
IzzyMad
Enthusiast

I've tried that and it says i have the up to date firmware. Last time I used a program that downgrded it, tried universal flasher, nothing happened. but either I am doing something wrong or I have completely bricked my 505 Please help
Old 08-13-2010, 05:57 PM   #4
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
From the PRSCustomizer site:
http://www.prscustomizer.com/prscustomizer.html

Recovering from errors
In the PRS 505, Sony has produced a very robust device. It's actually
very hard to cause the device to become unresponsive, otherwise
known as a "brick." However, when making complex changes to your
Reader inadvertent errors on your part may cause it to become
stuck on the "Reader starting up..." screen. Recovery is usually
simple.

Recovering a brick

1. You're stuck at "Reader starting up..."
2. Use a a paperclip to press the reset button on the back of the Reader
3. Quickly slide the power toggle.
4. When the Reader reboots, immmediately connect it to your PC via usb cable.

After a minute or so, the usb connection message should appear; now
you can use the US/Canadian Sony Updater to reflash your Reader.
When finished, your Reader will be using Sony firmware 1.1
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 08:48 PM   #5
IzzyMad
Enthusiast

Tried this along with many others but still can't find the way I did it before and still bricked

Also tried formatting, reset ten times, can't seem to get it to hard reset.

If it helps I'm Stuck at the starting up screen then the light at the top flashes orange then starts up again

following desperate trawls I think it was something like prs firmware updater special but I can't find it and I'm sure it was on this network that I got the link.

Please help.

Last edited by IzzyMad; 08-14-2010 at 10:07 PM. Reason: I've gone through desperation and out the otherside
Advert
Old 08-14-2010, 10:14 PM   #6
mushroomyakuza
mushroomyakuza began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I think I'm having similiar problems. My PRS300 keeps freezing for no reason during the middle of a read. It's getting extremely frustrating now. The last time it happened I hit reset and turned it on again, then had to charge it overnight for it to turn on again. My books were still there somehow, but ever since then it's just kept happening.

Has anyone else had similar problems? It seems to happen once every two or three weeks now and it's getting infuriating. What's worse is, every time it freezes and I reset it, when I try to turn it on again, it seems like the battery is almost dead because it doesn't quite make it to the home screen then it dies again. So I'm charging it and charging it, but it always comes back to the same problem with random freezes. Does anyone have any idea what would be causing this and/or how to prevent it from happening again?

Really need help with this, thanks.
mushroomyakuza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 12:36 AM   #7
thafrogggg
Rabid Book Weasel
thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Acer Iconia A500 Tablet (lovin' it!!)
This may sound odd, but try doing all of those steps with the reader plugged into your PC with the USB cable while having it plugged into the wall recharger at the same time; you may have a reader that is under charged. That was the only way I was able to get it to work

I hope this helps
thafrogggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 03:42 AM   #8
labzuk
Enthusiast
labzuk began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505 - Iliad
You can use the special installer
http://projects.mobileread.com/reade...%20Special.exe

it's a normal firmware withthe revision number set to a dummy number, this will allow you to bypass the up to date firmware.

Just do as usual, press reset, restart the reader and plug in the USB cable when the screen goes blank this should go just fine.
labzuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:31 AM   #9
mushroomyakuza

I've just had it on charge for hours but now it's frozen on the charge screen!

Ugh.

Please note mine is a PRS300, not 505.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:48 AM   #10
thafrogggg
Rabid Book Weasel
thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Acer Iconia A500 Tablet (lovin' it!!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroomyakuza View Post

Ugh.

What are you using to charge your 300? If it is the USB cable into your PC, then you may have drained the battery too far for the low power USB to charge it, at least that is what can happen with the 505.

Try using a wall charger if you have not done so yet. If you have tried a wall charger and still have no luck, then try the suggestion I posted above along with the normal steps to reset your device. Using both cables will not harm your reader.
thafrogggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:51 PM   #11
mushroomyakuza

I don't have a wall charger :S!

Last night it wouldn't turn on, and now I've had to reset it, plug it in and charge it all over again....this is ridiculous. It used to need charging once every three weeks at the most, now it's all the time. This can't be right.

I emailed Sony and have got no reply so far. I got this Christmas just gone that I got it, so could it still be within warranty? Please help, this is driving me absolutely crazy now... .
Old 08-16-2010, 08:38 PM   #12
IzzyMad
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thafrogggg View Post
This may sound odd, but try doing all of those steps with the reader plugged into your PC with the USB cable while having it plugged into the wall recharger at the same time; you may have a reader that is under charged. That was the only way I was able to get it to work

I hope this helps
Ive tried that and no joy but with a bit of luck the link "labzuk" has posted will be the one I've been searching for.

But until I can get my hands on a PC I won't know.

Wish me luck for Wednesday night.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:41 PM   #13
IzzyMad
Enthusiast

Slightly puzzled

Quote:

Ugh.

While I don't begrudge you using my thread mushroomyakuza it is rather and as such does seem to be a little like being hi jacked. As I clearly stated my eBook is a PRS-505 but good luck with your search for help.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:17 AM   #14
mushroomyakuza

Fine, thought I'd kill two birds. I'll make a new topic.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:03 PM   #15
IzzyMad
Enthusiast

No Offense Meant

Quote:
Fine, thought I'd kill two birds. I'll make a new topic.
Sorry if I have offended you but when it became obvious that my soloutions were not going to help you I would have thought it would have been polite to have strted your own topic any way.