Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 02-17-2011, 01:24 PM   #1
Machodoc
Machodoc began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Another new person ... VA, USA

How I got here ... not sure where I'm going!

I recently bought a Nook, having done a bit of research and finding out that it was one of the only e-Readers that would recognize PDF files. My objective, since I enjoy reading early books and documents, was to use the Nook to read downloaded books in PDF format that were gotten from Google books.

Then I discovered that I can read Google books PDF file on the Nook, but pretty nearly need a magnifying glass to do so. Trying to figure out how to do that brought me to Calibre, and that brought me to this forum.

I'm still (temporarily) a "free rider" with calibre. I've piddled away so much cash over the years on software that didn't meet my needs, I've grown hesitant to buy stuff until I've had a chance to investigate it. I'm not sure that Calibre is going to help me with my original need, or not, but I'm very impressed with it so far. I've just got to learn more about it as I go on.

Just discovered the ePubs area here that will allow me to download books that I should be able to use. That's excellent! I'm going to have to cough up some cash in the way of a donation here next payday. I respect the developers' atmosphere of free exchange and trust, so fair is fair. Even if I never resolve the Google Books viewing issue, the downloads are certainly worth a contribution.
Machodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:27 PM   #2
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I hear you loud and clear where it comes to shelling out for software that you can't use. I have done that a few times. There are three concepts that I need to introduce to you in the information technology (a fancy way of saying computer technology) comunity: shareware, freeware and open source.

Shareware's name may be a bit misleading as nothing is actually shared. The concept behind shareware is try before you buy. All software that is sold on the shareware market you may try for a specified length of time then decide if you like it or not. If you like it then you are required to pay for the software and if you do not like it you delete the software and owe nothing. You buy only if you like what you see, unlike shrinkwrap (which is a fancy way of saying the software that most people think of as software which is buy before you try.) The most famous of the shareware packages is called Pkzip from Pkware. Find all the shareware you want at shareware.com

Freeware is just that free you like it you owe nothing you don't like it don't worry you owe nothing. Find all the freeware you want at freewarehome.com and freewarefiles.com. Some of the most famous freeware include: IE and Google Crome.

Now for open source. This takes a little explination as its an extension of the freeware concept. Open Source is also free with one addition the source code for the software comes with the software, something that does not come with freeware, you may (if you are so inclined) modify the code behind the software and market the end result as your own - with one crevate the result of that modification is also open code. You may not take a open code software slap your name on it and sell the result. However you may take a open code software slap your name on it and make the result available as open code. Some of the most famous open code software includes Mozilla's Firefox and thunderbird.

The best open code software that I have ever found was Open Office, which is a free version of Microsoft Office which a lot of people think is much better then Microsoft Office.

Find all the open code software you want at sourceforge.net and Open Office is at openoffice.org.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2011, 03:31 PM   #3
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Machodoc. Nook and Calibre, you'll find, is a marriage made in heaven. Good luck and best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:22 AM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Machodoc and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 04:42 AM   #5
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

Welcome to Mobileread ....

Tips & tricks available, have a look in the Nook Forum ...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2011, 09:18 AM   #6
Valmore Daniels
Grand Sorcerer
Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Welcome to Mobileread
Valmore Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 05:44 PM   #7
Machodoc
Machodoc began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Many thanks for the welcome message and great advice. As with anything else, this is a learn-as-you-go process. I'll eventually figure out how to make things work better, but it's a start, at least!
Machodoc is offline   Reply With Quote