Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 09-04-2009, 11:53 AM   #106
richman
Addict
richman is on a distinguished road

Device: sony prs-505 *BLUE*,itouch,netbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by benham View Post
That's the way I figured it too. We all apparently hadd the same situation and it didn't really tell you that you have to make an additional purchase. Getting an AC adapter would have done it. Now that Ihave the card I do not really understand the reward points that well but did get the $150 in credit promised.
I had called sony before I purchased the ereader and asked them why they put 50 cents in the cart knocking it below 299 and they said they can't remove the 50 cent sign on and that I would get the 2 credits and not to worry. It would take time and I told them to make a note on my account saying I called and questioned them about the 50 cent thing and they told me I would get both credits.
I didn't buy anything else within that 45 day period but have since put stuff on the card.
Did anyone not get the 100 dollars back from chase?
Please check your statements, I bought my ereader on 6 /15/09

I want to thank the person who posted the pictures from sony website, this is the one that I think makes me feel I didn't have to buy anything more since this was the promotional price of 299 in ad.

I think the part where it says buying this promotional item will automatically make you eligible for the 2 credits that made it seem like it was a done deal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sony7.png
Views:	288
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	35428  

Last edited by richman; 09-04-2009 at 11:57 AM.
richman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 01:12 PM   #107
Zapped
Enthusiast
Zapped began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by benham View Post
Now that I have the card I do not really understand the reward points that well but did get the $150 in credit promised.
The Sony-sponsored 'reward points' seemed useless to me. Yeah, it's ostensibly a 1% kickback, but it's only good for purchases made at the Sony store's retail pricing. I'm assuming I'd do better by purchasing Sony products at a discount (street pricing) from a reputable Internet dealer.

The thing you should understand is the additional $200 in credits you may be leaving on the table if you don't use that shiny new Sony/VISA card. $1500 in the first three months gets you $100, then another $100 if you charge $1500 more in the first six months. That's 6.67% back - I defy you to find a better kickback on any credit card.

Since we already charge more than $1500 a month (let alone over three months) from routine purchases, it was easy enough to switch to the Sony card & then cancel it once I'd finished grinding through the $350 in credits.
Zapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 01:17 PM   #108
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
Thanks for the reminder on that! We just got back from a land/cruise to Alaska and I used the Sony card for all of the land charges we had.
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 01:23 PM   #109
Zapped
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by richman View Post
I want to thank the person who posted the pictures from sony website, this is the one that I think makes me feel I didn't have to buy anything more since this was the promotional price of 299 in ad.

I think the part where it says buying this promotional item will automatically make you eligible for the 2 credits that made it seem like it was a done deal.
I just wanted to clarify that when I posted that I got the $100 credit from Chase even though my eReader purchase was only $298.50 (like you), I'm not trying to imply you did anything wrong at all.

Fine print aside, I completely agree that it sounds like a classic bait'n'switch when they offer you two simple buttons (APPLY & REDEEM), then when you go through with the transaction they come back and say, "Gotcha! We took 50 cents off the reader so you wouldn't get the $100 credit!".
Old 09-04-2009, 01:37 PM   #110
Zero9
Zealot
Zero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Touch
For the record, you wouldn't have to make an additional purchase to overcome the 50-cents short many of us were. The Rewards site has a spin-the-wheel game that lets you temporarily tie-up points. I invested 50 points in the game, bought my reader (eventually getting the full $350 back) and got the 50 points back the next week.
Zero9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 01:40 PM   #111
richman
Addict
richman is on a distinguished road

Device: sony prs-505 *BLUE*,itouch,netbook
What is frustrating about this is they send the info to corp office and they don't call back and they will not give phone number to talk to someone in corp.

Chase says it's not their fault that sony only charged 298.50 cents and they know that at the site it says the ereader is listed at 299 dollars and chase says it's not their fault.
And sony says it's not their fault either, and they will not let me talk to someone in corp.

What is my next step.
Too bad nobody at sony or chase told me I needed 50 cents more to my account to qualify. The site with ad was up and the people I talked to always said "wait a minute and let me read what the site says" and then they would come back and say , you will get the 2 credits.
Now the reps say , sorry 298.50 is not 299 and the ad was taken down. Nothing we can do about it.

Last edited by richman; 09-04-2009 at 01:43 PM.
richman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 02:13 PM   #112
Zapped
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by richman View Post
Now the reps say , sorry 298.50 is not 299 and the ad was taken down. Nothing we can do about it.
:
What is my next step.
I'd call each entity (Sony and Chase) back and ask to speak to a supervisor. Always be clear & calm, and have all your dates and credit card transaction numbers ready if you need them.

Let them know calmly that you feel you're the victim of a bait & switch scam. Phrasing it like "I know it's not your fault personally, but here's how it looks from my end of the deal..." may work to your advantage.

Assuming the supervisors repeat the party line, write down exactly what they say. Ask if the conversation is being recorded and if there is any reference number you should also write down.

Get the super's unique contact info (usually an ID number) and a physical mailing address for you to address a letter of complaint. Let them know that your letter will just be a copy of the complaint you'll write to your state's Consumer Affairs division and to your state Attorney General. See if that changes their attitude a little.

If it's still a no-go, write that clearly & calmly worded letter of complaint to your state's Consumer Affairs division or your state's Attorney General. Attach a copy of that letter to the letter you send to Sony and Chase.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:00 AM   #113
pipister
pipister began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505
I bought my Sony Reader on 7/10 and received the SONY credit, but not the Chase one. Does anyone have the number of the Chase department that deals with this issue? Or do I need to call the regular 1-800 number?

Thanks a lot! Sounds like a lot of people are in the same boat.
pipister is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
prs-505, sony