Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 09-20-2012, 10:06 PM   #1
AZImmortal
Zealot
AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Nexus 7
Is "Grand Wizard" an appropriate user title?

I'm not easily offended by any means, but I just noticed that many users had the title of "Grand Wizard" bestowed upon them by the forum, which immediately made me think of this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Wizard

Just something to think about. I'm sure that no harm was meant when creating this title and I know that this community is a diverse one.
AZImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:14 PM   #2
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZImmortal View Post
I'm not easily offended by any means, but I just noticed that many users had the title of "Grand Wizard" bestowed upon them by the forum, which immediately made me think of this.

Just something to think about. I'm sure that no harm was meant when creating this title and I know that this community is a diverse one.
I thought of that when I first saw it. However, I seriously doubted that the originators of the "Grand Wizard" moniker had any idea that it had such a dark meaning in the US. So, I thought no more about it.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:23 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Use the moniker Grand Poobah.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:24 PM   #4
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Seriously?
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:31 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir

Society is rapidly deteriorating around us, starvation, famine. diseases and genocide abound, and you want us to think about a phrase?

Really?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:31 PM   #6
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Wait, what's mine say now?
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:38 PM   #7
AZImmortal
Zealot
AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post

Society is rapidly deteriorating around us, starvation, famine. diseases and genocide abound, and you want us to think about a phrase?

Really?
Um, you do realize that the KKK advocates genocide, right? Anyways, like I said earlier, I'm not offended. However, I'm still sensitive to how others might feel who might be offended, which is why I brought this up.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:41 PM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Um, you do realize that the KKK advocates genocide, right? Anyways, like I said earlier, I'm not offended. However, I'm still sensitive to how others might feel who might be offended, which is why I brought this up.
Um, you do realize that "Grand Wizard" can have many meanings, don't you??

If you choose to focus on one particular aspect of that phrase, thats your problem.

There is always someone who will be offended at something........

Don't roll your eyes at me, you haven't lived long enough!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:02 PM   #9
AZImmortal
Zealot

Quote:

If you choose to focus on one particular aspect of that phrase, thats your problem.

There is always someone who will be offended at something........

Don't roll your eyes at me, you haven't lived long enough!
Ohhh, right, so many meanings, which is why Wikipedia included that helpful disambiguation page to let me choose which Grand Wizard I wanted to find...

Anyways, if nobody else cares, then I won't either. Like I said, this was for the benefit of those who might be offended, and apparently nobody is.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:44 PM   #10
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Ohhh, right, so many meanings, which is why Wikipedia included that helpful disambiguation page to let me choose which Grand Wizard I wanted to find...
Yes, there are only 2 options on the disambiguation page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Grand_Wizard.

Quote:
Anyways, if nobody else cares, then I won't either. Like I said, this was for the benefit of those who might be offended, and apparently nobody is.
Someone might also get offended by the gender-biased "wizard".
Someone might also get offended by the connotations of "addict".
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:27 PM   #11
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
I thought of that when I first saw it. However, I seriously doubted that the originators of the "Grand Wizard" moniker had any idea that it had such a dark meaning in the US. So, I thought no more about it.
I also don't believe any malice was intended, but as a native Southerner, it was also the first thing I thought about when I saw it. MobileRead is an International community, and I'm sure the phrase has different connotations in different countries and regions, which is why it's never been a huge deal for me; but as U.S. citizens make up a sizable proportion of our International community, I certainly wouldn't miss the phrase were it to disappear.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:45 AM   #12
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Possibly so, but the first thing I think of when I hear or see it is "racist dudes in white sheets." And I'm an active member of both Pagan and fannish communities, which talk about various kinds of "wizards" in everyday discussions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I also don't believe any malice was intended, but as a native Southerner, it was also the first thing I thought about when I saw it. MobileRead is an International community, and I'm sure the phrase has different connotations in different countries and regions, which is why it's never been a huge deal for me; but as U.S. citizens make up a sizable proportion of our International community, I certainly wouldn't miss the phrase were it to disappear.
I hadn't noticed it being used; if I had, I'd've checked the rest of the person's data. If they were from outside the US, I might assume it was just a cute way of declaring themselves higher-status than a "Wizard"; if they were from the US, especially from the south, I'd expect it was a strong statement about their political leanings.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:22 PM   #13
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I also don't believe any malice was intended, but as a native Southerner, it was also the first thing I thought about when I saw it. .
It was the first thing I thought about too, and I'm born and bred in Australia.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:45 PM   #14
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I had no idea that the term had an association with the KKK.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:33 PM   #15
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I am the only one who saw it and thought of Dorothy, the Tin Man, and all?

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote