Notices

Old 10-23-2009, 06:36 PM   #46
tjdean256
Zealot
tjdean256 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex dr1000s; Pocket edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackx View Post
I am trying to reproduce this, but it only copies the pdf-data of the page, not the annotations made with xournal. Can you explain which actions you do to get this behaviour?.
It is only copying the pdf-data of the last page. I can't reproduce the copying of the annotations either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackx View Post
Adding this does not seem to be that difficult, let me see if I can get it into a next version. I can add an 'Insert Blank' check box menu item in the Journal menu. So you have a choice.
I wouldn't think that would be necessary if paging past the last page should automatically append a blank page.

The importing and merging functions are working very well.

Also have you noticed that the pen calibration is very good in Xournal, even near the screen edges? Draw a vertical line near the left side of the screen then put the pen at the top of the line and draw over the line - not much difference between the two. In my case about a 1-mm difference. On the right it is nearly identical. What do you think is the difference between the pen input in Xournal and in the UDS?
tjdean256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 03:37 AM   #47
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
I too have noticed calibration in xournal to be better. Not perfect but a lot better than say in a writepad template.

H
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 07:13 AM   #48
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
This could be because xournal is using the same coordinates (in a GnomeCanvas) for drawing pdfs (as a pixmap-background) and the scribbles/annotations. So what you see on the screen, you will also get in the pdf. The Merge software on the PC has to translate the coordinates from the annotations to that of the pdf. Maybe there are also some rounding errors that cause problems?
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:09 AM   #49
curbarthedog
Enthusiast
curbarthedog began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
Exporting Typed Text to PDF

Mackx,

I have just encountered quite a bizarre issue. I am not sure whether this is Xournal or Adobe Reader but...

When I export to PDF a journal entry with typed text i.e. entered via the soft keyboard (a flow chart for example), everything is exported to pdf. However, when I view this on the DR1000 all appears fine i.e. type is present, but on my laptop using adobe reader, there is no text!

Any ideas?
curbarthedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 02:06 PM   #50
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by curbarthedog View Post
When I export to PDF a journal entry with typed text i.e. entered via the soft keyboard (a flow chart for example), everything is exported to pdf. However, when I view this on the DR1000 all appears fine i.e. type is present, but on my laptop using adobe reader, there is no text!
Hi curbarthedog,

This sounds familiar, as far as I know this used to work. I have merged some changes from the official xournal version, which might have broken some things. I will have a look at it.
Thanks for discovering (another) bug ...

Edit: I tried to reproduce, but with a simple example it works fine for me. I send you a private message.

Last edited by Mackx; 10-26-2009 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:50 AM   #51
Mackx
Guru

After some (offline) investigation we found that there seemed to be some glitch in the environment of curbarthedog. For some reason a pdf file was not written correctly by xournal or it got corrupted on his PC. It now seems to work as it is supposed to work.
Anyone else got problems with PDFs (containing text) generated with xournal?
Old 10-31-2009, 12:56 PM   #52
Mackx
Guru

NEW update Xournal Patch V8

I created a new update for Xournal with the following changes:
- Allow to insert empty pages, remember setting in config settings. Added new menu item: Journal->Add Blank Pages. When enabled blank pages will be inserted, else the current page will be copied (without annotations). Hope this implements request of tjdean256.
- Export scribbles in a separate file to be processed by MyScript software on the PC. See new menu item: File-> Export Scribbles to IRX. On request of curbarthedog.
- Fixed problem that did not allow to select iRex annotations immediately after import. Detected by jbbebg
- Updated Russian translation from Viacheslav
- Removed shortcuts from menu (english language only!) on advise of Viacheslav
- Removed some useless menu items
- Improve Ghosting behaviour during page-switch
- Replaced first, prev, next and last icons with gtk (like) icons in DR-menu and toolbar.

See the first mail in this thread for the zip file and installation instructions.

Please keep giving me feedback.

Marcel.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:34 PM   #53
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Wow, you've been busy. Just about to download and try it again. It really is so much better than the built in functionality now

Thanks, Howard
Old 11-02-2009, 03:30 AM   #54
jbui
jbui began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
V8

After upgrading to V8 from V6a I found that Xournal get stuck when trying to open Xournal files relatively long (10 pages or more). The only way out is to tap the screen with the stylus or tapping the triangular shape at the base (opening the Xournal menu).
jbui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:17 AM   #55
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbui View Post
After upgrading to V8 from V6a I found that Xournal get stuck when trying to open Xournal files relatively long (10 pages or more). The only way out is to tap the screen with the stylus or tapping the triangular shape at the base (opening the Xournal menu).
Seems that the DR is entering sleep-mode already and thus not updating the screen. I will have a look to see if this is related to a longer load time in V8 or to code changes.

Thanks for reporting.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:23 AM   #56
curbarthedog
Enthusiast
curbarthedog began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
Mackx,

One minor issue I have found. When merging scribbles, if it is a mixed format file i.e. portrait and landscape, the scribbles are treated as if they are all portrait i.e. those on the landscape page are in the wrong location.

This is only a minor issue given the massive improvement on the iRex desktop software but if it could be looked at?
curbarthedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 07:16 AM   #57
Mackx
Guru

aha landscape ehm... yes... I knew there was still something on my todo list. I totally ignored the page orientation for importing iRex scribbles and exporting to IRX during my first implementation.

@curbarthedog: Can you send me a simple example to my private e-mail address, so I can have a quick start in reproducing and fixing? Is it when importing iRex scribbles or exporting to IRX?

Thanks for reporting.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:11 AM   #58
pthwaite
Fanatic

Mackx
I've noticed that if I use the zoom functions, the menu bar at the bottom of the screen dissapears as does the file selection bar at thte top of the page. On trying to zoom back they remain "hidden".
This is a bit unfortunate if the buttons are locked (as they are likely to be) as you can then neither save, quit nor log out etc. The tabs didn't show either. So you have to either wait for the device to go to sleep, or hit the reset button.

If you have time, can you just check that out too?

regards, Howard
Old 11-02-2009, 10:14 AM   #59
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pthwaite View Post
I've noticed that if I use the zoom functions, the menu bar at the bottom of the screen dissapears as does the file selection bar at thte top of the page. On trying to zoom back they remain "hidden".
How did you zoom, using the full-screen button (the most right in the first line of buttons)? If I press it, the menu-bar of xournal and the statusbar of the DR disappear, but when I press the same button again, then full screen mode is off.
The used icons is a little strange, maybe you did not recognise it?
Old 11-02-2009, 12:00 PM   #60
jbbebg
Enthusiast
jbbebg began at the beginning.

Device: prs 500, prs 505, Irex Iliad, Irex Digital
EXPORT ANNOTATIONS?

Hi Mackx, hi everybody,

V7 is great! Thanks.
So we can annotate pdf, import annotate from irex native application, merge annotate to pdf file, export annotate to Irex Iliad annotation scribbles ready for character recognition.

What about the conversion XOURNAL annotations back to metadata.db?

User can use either native pdf reader file, make annotation, or use xournal import annotation and export back to native pdf reader. So extra EXPORT ANNOTATION rutine will export the annotations made by xournal to metadata.db file what will be recognized by native program.

Thanks,
jbbebg is offline   Reply With Quote