Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-21-2009, 03:19 PM   #1
NewE-Reader
NewE-Reader began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Exclamation Can I read these formats on my Sony Reader??

Hi!

I apologize for doubling posting, but I left this question on the Eformat thread and didn't get an answer. I'm hoping that someone can help me. I am new to the whole ebook and ereader thing, but very excited about the possibilities.

I'm getting a Sony PRS 600 for Christmas. Yeah! And there were some books that I wanted to get from Fictionwise, but the only available format for some of these books (the newer books or from major publishers) are Secure Microsoft Reader Format or Secure eReader Format (or the Secure Mobi format). Can I read those formats on my Sony Reader or use something like Calibre to convert them to a format that I can read?

I would really appreciate any and all advice.

Thank you!!

Lynne
NewE-Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 03:31 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewE-Reader View Post
I'm getting a Sony PRS 600 for Christmas. Yeah! And there were some books that I wanted to get from Fictionwise, but the only available format for some of these books (the newer books or from major publishers) are Secure Microsoft Reader Format or Secure eReader Format (or the Secure Mobi format). Can I read those formats on my Sony Reader or use something like Calibre to convert them to a format that I can read?
No you won't be able to read those on your Sony.

You can only convert them with calibre if you first removed the DRM which makes them "secure".

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2009, 03:36 PM   #3
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Well, Sony can't read .lit or .mobi, Calibre can convert them to a format that you can read if they don't have DRM as far as I know, I'm not sure what to do with books that have DRM. What are the books that you wanted to get, perhaps you can try another site like www.booksonboard.com, they might already have them in a format that suits your needs. Good luck!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 04:02 PM   #4
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Try the following websites to search for ebooks by title or author subject

Inkmesh
Addall
Ebookprices

Your new Sony Reader 600 can natively read PDF, ePub and LRX/LRF (aka BBeB). All 3 formats can be with or without DRM. There are other formats but if you are purchasing, the ones I mentioned will be the most popular.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 04:05 PM   #5
NewE-Reader
NewE-Reader began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Thanks!

Thank you for the various answers! I got a private message on how to downconvert the DRM, then use Calibre to convert it to Epub. I am hoping that will help.

LatinandGreek, thank you for the additional resource on where to buy ebooks. I didn't know about Books On Board.

Also, thanks to you grooks, for the additional places I can get ebooks!

Thanks again!
NewE-Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2010, 03:07 PM   #6
1HitWonder
1HitWonder began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
Hello, I have had my Sony 600 since March 09. So far I have mainly downloaded the free ebooks from manybooks.net but have started to venture into other areas. I would like to download library books but have trouble with the format. What is Calibre and where do I get it?
1HitWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:28 PM   #7
Kiwimick
Addict
Kiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five words

Device: Sony PRS650
Calibre is a free (though they appreciate any donation) open source Library manager which you can use to manage your ereader
there is a forum dedicated to Calibre on MR
link http://calibre-ebook.com/
Kiwimick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:56 PM   #8
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewE-Reader View Post
...additional places I can get ebooks!...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HitWonder View Post
...I have mainly downloaded the free ebooks from manybooks.net...
You guys do know about the books that you can download from here, right? If not, click on the E-Books menu item near the top of the page. Lots of good public domain stuff that has been hand-formatted by MR members.
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:25 PM   #9
1HitWonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwimick View Post
Calibre is a free (though they appreciate any donation) open source Library manager which you can use to manage your ereader
there is a forum dedicated to Calibre on MR
link http://calibre-ebook.com/
Thank you!
Old 01-04-2010, 06:27 PM   #10
1HitWonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlparker View Post
You guys do know about the books that you can download from here, right? If not, click on the E-Books menu item near the top of the page. Lots of good public domain stuff that has been hand-formatted by MR members.
I'm still trying to figure it all out; so thank you, this is helpful!