Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-29-2009, 08:53 PM   #46
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Actually, I'm a "she," not that it matters.
Yes, it does matter, 'cuz chicks rule! I'm a she as well. I'm sorry.

Edit: Hey, I just realized it wasn't me. Chicks still rule!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:53 PM   #47
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
In this case, he does, because he's changing the author name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Gotcha, you're right for Calibre. It can be done without converting the file with either MobiPocket Creator or Mobi2Mobi (though it's good to learn all the ins and outs of Calibre).
Well, that brings up another head-scratcher for me. I did originally try to open/build in Mobi Creator (pub ed.) but whenver I attempted to open the .prc it wouldn't open. (I tried all my backup copies, too.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2009, 08:55 PM   #48
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, it does matter, 'cuz chicks rule! I'm a she as well. I'm sorry.
Oh - that was for sirbruce... all in fun, of course.

I'm very envious of your Daffy screensaver. Love it!
Old 03-29-2009, 08:55 PM   #49
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Well, that brings up another head-scratcher for me. I did originally try to open/build in Mobi Creator (pub ed.) but whenver I attempted to open the .prc it wouldn't open. (I tried all my backup copies, too.
Interesting, where did this book come from? Are you able to open and view it in Calibre?
Old 03-29-2009, 08:58 PM   #50
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Oh - that was for sirbruce... all in fun, of course.
Mmmmm.... chicks....
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2009, 09:14 PM   #51
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
Interesting, where did this book come from? Are you able to open and view it in Calibre?
I purchased it and can read it with no problem on my K2 and MobiReader as a .prc. Unfortunately, the author name does not appear in my book list on the Kindle and I want to correct that.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:15 PM   #52
Skydog
Wizard

I just tried converting again with the latest version (0.5.3) of Calibre, but still receive the same error log.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:24 PM   #53
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
I just tried converting again with the latest version (0.5.3) of Calibre, but still receive the same error log.
I have no idea if this will work but rename with file with a .mobi extension instead of the .prc and try it again.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:28 PM   #54
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
I have no idea if this will work but rename with file with a .mobi extension instead of the .prc and try it again.
Rename, converting .mobi to .mobi?
Old 03-29-2009, 09:54 PM   #55
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Rename, converting .mobi to .mobi?
Yeah, just rename book.prc to book.mobi, check to see if your changes are still intact and try it on your Kindle. If not, change the metadata on book.mobi and see if that works.

If that fails try Mobi2Mobi.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:56 PM   #56
bxrLvr
Connoisseur
bxrLvr doesn't litterbxrLvr doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, iPad
using calibre worked great for fixing the author metadata, however I noticed that it doubled the size of the mobi file during conversion (even for the ones that were originally mobi that i converted to mobi).. is this expected behaivor?
bxrLvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:58 PM   #57
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxrLvr View Post
using calibre worked great for fixing the author metadata, however I noticed that it doubled the size of the mobi file during conversion (even for the ones that were originally mobi that i converted to mobi).. is this expected behaivor?
THere should be no need to convert it. Unless it isn't really a .mobi file. Just do a send to device and the meta data should be corrected on the file on the device.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:54 PM   #58
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
THere should be no need to convert it. Unless it isn't really a .mobi file. Just do a send to device and the meta data should be corrected on the file on the device.

BOb
Well, now I am confused. I read all the relative posts (most right here) and recall someone mentioning that any editing of metadata on a .prc was ineffective and required a conversion from .prc to .mobi for the edited metadata to display on the Kindle. Regardless of methods I've tried, only the book title appears on the Kindle home page and no author, even though I have added or edited author information.

The only file change I have noticed, following an edit within Calibre, is that the file name changes from book.prc to book - author.prc. It would seem the metadata (with author name) itself is not being saved within the file.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:03 AM   #59
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Well, now I am confused. I read all the relative posts (most right here) and recall someone mentioning that any editing of metadata on a .prc was ineffective and required a conversion from .prc to .mobi for the edited metadata to display on the Kindle. Regardless of methods I've tried, only the book title appears on the Kindle home page and no author, even though I have added or edited author information.

The only file change I have noticed, following an edit within Calibre, is that the file name changes from book.prc to book - author.prc. It would seem the metadata (with author name) itself is not being saved within the file.
I think I know why things are getting confused (for me as well). Calibre is a living thing and changes based on features Kovid wants to introduce and requests made to him as well as work done by others. Not all of earlier posts relate to the later or current releases. I have an earlier post in this thread where I did have to save a copy but I think it was 3 or 4 releases ago. I'm still learning my way around Calibre myself.

Have you upgraded to the most current release (0.5.3)?
Old 03-30-2009, 12:08 AM   #60
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxrLvr View Post
This is because the GUI version of Calibre does not compress the MOBI output. The any2mobi command has a compress option, but it is slow.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote