Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 01-12-2007, 03:47 AM   #61
memobug
Connoisseur
memobug began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500/PRS-505/Kindle DX/iPhone 3G
Would it be possible or the preview mode to show half the page processed and half unprocessed? or maybe a range from light to dark enhancement 0 - 20?

Regards,

Matt
memobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 02:02 PM   #62
JimCuk
Enthusiast
JimCuk began at the beginning.

Device: Prs-500
Alex,
Still getting the same problem with the new version if I run multiple threads. This is trying advanced mode portrait.

Jim
JimCuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 09:36 PM   #63
fongwun
fongwun began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifidong
Code:
Input File Name : C:\Documents and Settings\dongsshi\Desktop\PDFrasterFarian 2.1.2\\temp\temp.lrs
Output File Name : C:\Documents and Settings\dongsshi\Desktop\PDFrasterFarian 2.1.2\_30__revive.lrf
ファイルの整合性をチェックします
整合性のチェック完了
[Warning ] Publisherの文字列が長すぎて、表示しきれない場合があります。
書誌情報ファイルの整合性をチェックします
書誌情報ファイルの整合性チェック完了
[Warning ] Invalid value blockrule. Set Default value [line: 37]
[Error ] Invalid file encoding. [line: 39]
ファイルが正しくありません
強制終了
次のファイルを削除します。:: C:\Documents and Settings\dongsshi\Desktop\PDFrasterFarian 2.1.2\_30__revive.lrf
That's what the lrs2lrf.log file contains
I have no clue why those Japanese Fonts are in there.
Also, I have installed East Asian Languages but, Language for non-Unicode programs is set to English (US default).

I attempted on several files, including this one (12 pages)
and eBooks. However same thing happens.
I got the same error. After some testing, I noticed this only happens if I choose "Full" post-processing. All the output PNG files are blank. "Simple" post-processing works fine. I am using 2.1.3. Any idea what the problem is?
fongwun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 10:03 PM   #64
fongwun
fongwun began at the beginning.

I found more about the error. The post processing failed at:

"%relpath%\software\AutoImager\AutoImager.exe" /f %relpath%\temp\stage5\%page% /p Dilate /d /op %relpath%\temp\stage6\

I tried to run this command manually using some of your output images. It didn't produce any output files. This is probably why I got blank images at the end. Is there any reason the AutoImager doesn't work?
fongwun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 11:15 AM   #65
baker101
baker101 began at the beginning.

hi i got the same error....do we need the full version of autoimage?

thanks.
baker101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 08:22 PM   #66
cardician
cardician began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
small fix when using autoimager

Am finally able to get an output file when using autoimager with PDFrasterFarian2.1.3. Went to autoimager.com and downloaded the demo straight to my PDFrasterFarian2.1.3. directory and opened/ran autoimager from there. Output file is now saved. (tah dahh!)
- BUT, looks like you need to NOT use autocropping if you process with autoimager. Otherwise, at least for me, using autocropping at this date vastly minimizes the image when using autoimager. There's no doubt some internal setting that will take care of this.
- Also, for Two-Column books, I choose 3 Advanced, Vertical 0%, Horizontal 10% default, and use autoimager (but NOT autocropping). This gives me a real nice display on the Reader.
- I'd like to thank alex_d for posting this terrific program. He sure adds a lot of value to using a Sony Reader.
- Sorry for the long note, but I'm only allowed to post anything on the Internet once a year.
cardician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 09:22 PM   #67
baker101

yup, after the install of image program in the directory of rastafarian works. awesome.. thanks cardician.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:46 PM   #68
Vienna01
Old Dog Learns New Tricks
Vienna01 doesn't litterVienna01 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-500,PocketBook 301, Sony 650
Where is the most recent version of PDFrasterFarian posted?
Vienna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 11:39 PM   #69
baker101

first pg version 2.1.3 i believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vienna01
Where is the most recent version of PDFrasterFarian posted?
Old 01-16-2007, 04:56 AM   #70
alex_d
Addict
alex_d doesn't litteralex_d doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
My apologies for the lack of updates! Ok, here it is, 2.1.4. Find it on page 1.

NEW:
You don't have to close MSPaint to preview another page/setting. (For comparing different settings.)

FIXED:
+The big "invalid encoding" error. (At least, I think it's fixed... please verify.) This was being caused by the blank.png file I was using which wasn't really a PNG (stupid mspaint). Issue appeared when a PDF had blank pages or AutoImager wasn't installed (which causes the whole document to have blank pages). Your guys' talk about installing autoimager into the pdfrasterfarian directory is confusing me, however. Did you try installing into the default windows path first? Also, are you installing into pdfrasterfarian 2.1.3\software\AutoImager, and overwriting what's there? There may be a larger issue with autoimager not working, and this may require another solution.
+Pages out of order issue
+Autocropping without previewing results in teeny tiny pages (or, actually, autocropping was severely crippled... it mistakenly used the bounding box generated during preview, rather than the one generated individually for each page)
+A few more UI clarifications (e.g. regarding autoimager)

Kind of dealt with:
+Filename issues. I don't think this can fully be solved because of the ridiculous way Windows CMD scripts handle variables. Instead of crashing, however, it now prints a message.

evgen, adobe software is required because of the way Windows handles context menus for file types. When adobe is installed, it owns .pdf files and if i want to add another option i have to go into adobe's place in the registry. To make this work with Foxit, please go to Folder Options>File Types>PDF>Advanced>New. Give the action a weird name, then go into regedit and search for it. Let me know the place in the registry that it ends up.

memobug, there isn't much point comparing processed to unprocessed. Rather, the prudent option would be to compare one type of processing to another that you pick. However, cutting up the page one way will also not work for people since it hides stuff. To fix it you get into even more options and parameters, and it all gets crowded since I don't have anything close to a proper UI. Quickest fix is to just not require you to close Paint after previewing. Done. (although it wasn't quite as straightforward as it sounds)

ok... so we have to examine the weird autoimager installation issue. Besides that, though, do you guys think pdfrasterfarian at this point can be deemed stable? Anything else to fix/add/clarify before primetime? Please speak up.

Last edited by alex_d; 01-16-2007 at 05:08 AM.
alex_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 01:20 PM   #71
Corwin
Corwin began at the beginning.

Some questions:
1. Is it possible to increase the size of font? I see that PDFrasterFarian fits the original A4 size to 6'' display of Reader, but the result is to small to read
2. When I use Size button of reader, text looks very bad to read and some piece of text disepears in the right coner.

P.S. I use portrait mode.
Corwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 09:29 PM   #72
magogo
magogo began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_d
My apologies for the lack of updates! Ok, here it is, 2.1.4. Find it on page 1.

NEW:
You don't have to close MSPaint to preview another page/setting. (For comparing different settings.)

FIXED:
+The big "invalid encoding" error. (At least, I think it's fixed... please verify.) This was being caused by the blank.png file I was using which wasn't really a PNG (stupid mspaint). Issue appeared when a PDF had blank pages or AutoImager wasn't installed (which causes the whole document to have blank pages). Your guys' talk about installing autoimager into the pdfrasterfarian directory is confusing me, however. Did you try installing into the default windows path first? Also, are you installing into pdfrasterfarian 2.1.3\software\AutoImager, and overwriting what's there? There may be a larger issue with autoimager not working, and this may require another solution.
+Pages out of order issue
+Autocropping without previewing results in teeny tiny pages (or, actually, autocropping was severely crippled... it mistakenly used the bounding box generated during preview, rather than the one generated individually for each page)
+A few more UI clarifications (e.g. regarding autoimager)

Kind of dealt with:
+Filename issues. I don't think this can fully be solved because of the ridiculous way Windows CMD scripts handle variables. Instead of crashing, however, it now prints a message.

evgen, adobe software is required because of the way Windows handles context menus for file types. When adobe is installed, it owns .pdf files and if i want to add another option i have to go into adobe's place in the registry. To make this work with Foxit, please go to Folder Options>File Types>PDF>Advanced>New. Give the action a weird name, then go into regedit and search for it. Let me know the place in the registry that it ends up.

memobug, there isn't much point comparing processed to unprocessed. Rather, the prudent option would be to compare one type of processing to another that you pick. However, cutting up the page one way will also not work for people since it hides stuff. To fix it you get into even more options and parameters, and it all gets crowded since I don't have anything close to a proper UI. Quickest fix is to just not require you to close Paint after previewing. Done. (although it wasn't quite as straightforward as it sounds)

ok... so we have to examine the weird autoimager installation issue. Besides that, though, do you guys think pdfrasterfarian at this point can be deemed stable? Anything else to fix/add/clarify before primetime? Please speak up.
thanks a lot, alex. The error is gone with this version.
magogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 10:07 PM   #73
alex_d
Addict

corwin, to make things bigger convert using a different layout, such as landscape or quarters-of-a-page. When converting with landscape, put the Reader into landscape mode as well by holding the Size button for 5-10 seconds.

In fact, the default mode is landscape. If you convert using this mode and then do not put the Reader into the same mode, the text will look very bad. Hmm.... I think I should change this behavior. I wonder how many people tried pdfrasterfarian and thought it did a horrible job... Also, I wonder how many people didn't think to use landscape because they thought it was for landscape documents. Ugh. Alright, I'll work on making the relevant UI screen much clearer.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:57 AM   #74
nerys
Addict
nerys began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500 - REB 1200
Now consider the following with the knowledge that I know NOTHING of programming. After reading a few converted books I have found the software currently to be unsuable for the "page swapping" of pages 1 and 2 actually occurs THROUGHOUT the entire book seemingly at random.

I THINK I may know a possible reason for why it is doing this.

I noticed that so far in all cases that page that is out of place is SMALLER than the page its wrongly in front of.

I also noticed the software does TWO pages at a time. IE in sets of two.

so what happens if it finishes processing page 2 of the set of 2 before it finishes page 1 ? I am thinking when it does pages 1 and 2 whatever pages is done first is set as page 1 and therefore the other page is page 2

this would explain the 2/1 swap and why it randomly swaps other pages throughout a book.

Just an idea a simple way to test is to make it to do only one page at a time so this can not occur.
nerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 09:34 AM   #75
alex_d
Addict

what?! you still get page swapping??? with v2.1.4? oh, man, damn. On my machine, changing the order in which the threads finish does not reproduce this bug. (It is easy to affect the order. If you put the focus on one of the thread windows, Windows grants it higher priority and it finishes sooner.)